Milk Protein in Condoms? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Soooo most conxoms arent vegan. Still use em? Are there brands of "vegan" condoms?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM

I never was a fan of condoms, but is the milk protein in the lube or the condom??
#3 Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Zelda Freak

I've heard that Glyde is the only certified cruelty-free condom, but I don't know if that's true or not. http://www.glydeamerica.com/

Below is a good post if you're looking for vegan sexy goods. 

http://www.good.is/posts/vegan-sex-how-the-meat-free-get-it-on/

River likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsright View Post

I never was a fan of condoms, but is the milk protein in the lube or the condom??

The actual latex I believe.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#5 Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a real problem with the implication that vegans shouldn't use condoms. Condoms are the only way to protect against sexually transmitted infections, and vegan condoms are expensive and hard to find.

Being vegan should not mean unnecessarily putting yourself at risk for sexually transmitted infections that can lead to infertility, permanent disability or death. I know some will claim that people have the choice to be abstinent if vegan condoms are not available, but realistically do you think that is going to happen? If you choose not to use condoms, don't do it based on their non-veganness.
#6 Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I have a real problem with the implication that vegans shouldn't use condoms. Condoms are the only way to protect against sexually transmitted infections, and vegan condoms are expensive and hard to find.

Being vegan should not mean unnecessarily putting yourself at risk for sexually transmitted infections that can lead to infertility, permanent disability or death. I know some will claim that people have the choice to be abstinent if vegan condoms are not available, but realistically do you think that is going to happen? If you choose not to use condoms, don't do it based on their non-veganness.

Omg chill out, no one promoted unprotected sex. It was a question about something I found out today and if you look, my op asked about vegan condoms.

Quote:
#7 Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

We obviously have a problem using condoms...I'm pregnant with my 3rd kid in 4 years. wink3.gif

I did know that the lambskin ones weren't vegan but I didn't know that in general the rest of the brands weren't vegan. We'll have to check out those Glyde ones.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#8 Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM

If it's in the latex couldn't u use durex??? Those are polypropylene not latex???
#9 Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

If it's in the latex couldn't u use durex??? Those are polypropylene not latex???

Indeed but I believe not all durex are non-latex, but I looked ans it seems the polypropylenes do not use milk Protein!

Quote:
#10 Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM

#11 Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM

I'll put the kabosh on this one lol. I love how this forums getting more sexy ;-) lol
#12 Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Oh hey, Lifestyles. Cheap and available everywhere!
Quote:

I'll put the kabosh on this one lol. I love how this forums getting more sexy ;-) lol
wink3.gif

Quote:
#13 Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Hey so not to jack your fun condom thread, but you bike....i got a thread on physical fitness, wanna give me some insight??
#14 Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Omg chill out, no one promoted unprotected sex. It was a question about something I found out today and if you look, my op asked about vegan condoms.
I understand, and I was simply trying to dispel the idea that "good vegans" need to mail order their condoms or do without, which I think is ridiculous. I wasn't accusing you of anything--my post was more directed at the reply from Jennifer C that Glyde is the only cruelty free option, which I've heard repeated again and again. If there are readily available vegan alternatives, more power to you, but this is really small potatoes when it comes to protecting your health. No one should feel guilty for using a non-vegan condom.
#15 Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 AM

Pulling out is totally vegan,

#16 Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 AM

Lol I love this forum. Keeps me entertained/busy at work
#17 Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervehold View Post

Pulling out is totally vegan,

But ineffective!

Quote:
#18 Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

But ineffective!

My third child is proof of that!

#19 Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 AM

I hear pulling out is like 94% effective....lol
#20 Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

I once dated a guy who has since gotten his current girlfriend pregnant by that philosophy.

Quote:
#21 Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM

I didn't say the 6% couldn't bite you in the ass...lol
#22 Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Withdrawal might be that effective at preventing pregnancy if done perfectly every time (and how realistic is that?), but I doubt it is effective at preventing the transmission of sexually transmitted infections. At least for women, there are many options for more effective birth control than condoms, but condoms continue to be the only effective protection against sexually transmitted infections, regardless of other methods of birth control you might be using.
#23 Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM

True...a condom is probably the safest way all around. I'm with you on that one.
#24 Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I understand, and I was simply trying to dispel the idea that "good vegans" need to mail order their condoms or do without, which I think is ridiculous. I wasn't accusing you of anything--my post was more directed at the reply from Jennifer C that Glyde is the only cruelty free option, which I've heard repeated again and again. If there are readily available vegan alternatives, more power to you, but this is really small potatoes when it comes to protecting your health. No one should feel guilty for using a non-vegan condom.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out the only certified cruelty-free option I've heard of. I would hope a vegan didn't go without a condom simply because they can't find that brand. I think most folks here have more common sense than that though. I don't know how available Glyde is or not (not a condom shopper). 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#25 Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting thread and funny responsese.

I use polyurethane condoms I'm allergic to latex. Why aren't commercial polyurethane condoms vegan?

#26 Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

Interesting thread and funny responsese.

I use polyurethane condoms I'm allergic to latex. Why aren't commercial polyurethane condoms vegan?

From what I gather they are, they only use the casein in latex production.

Quote:
#27 Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 AM

What about animal testing-wise??
#28 Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

With a bit of googling I found that Trojan tests on animals... I spose people could email the company they buy from.

Quote:
#29 Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM

See im wondering what test they could possibly do on an animal. Disgusts me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page