Faux fur/leather? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Do you wear faux fur/leather

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Zelda Freak

No. I don't like the idea that fashion must look like animals died for it - fake or otherwise. 

What sucks are purses and shoes. I won't buy a leather purse or wallet or shoes (obviously) but it really hard to find any that don't look like leather, even if they're man made materials. I hate that. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Beginner

Not faux-fur no. Mainly the reason is because I think the majority of it looks tasteless and tacky. However, I have a faux-leather jacket I picked up at a thrift store and a few other things. I don't think anything is wrong if people decide to wear faux-fur/faux-leather themselves. No animal has died to furnish this fur or leather so it's already a thousand times better and more compassionate than the real thing. I don't tend to even generally think of this issue....the faux fur or faux leather industry isn't the problem here, in my humble opinion. There are so many other issues at stake like the hormones/chemicals we as a society are putting into our bodies via meat and dairy, and the barbaric treatment of farm animals to get to the point where we're putting them on our tables.

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted."

---Aesop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't really have a use for fake fur. it was like 80 degrees here today and it's winter
#5 Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVeggie101 View Post

Do you wear faux fur/leather

Not anymore no.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#6 Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Beginner

I wouldn't have lamp shades made out of fake human skin. So no. 

#7 Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Beginner

"Faux fur" sounds too elegant. Think of it instead as "imitation dead animal skin". Then it seems far more disgusting.

#8 Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM

I do, it looks really nice, keeps me warm, and nothing was hurt or killed for it. I see no problem with it.

SepiaRoses likes this.
#9 Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

i do have a faux leather purse but i looked everywhere for a vegan purse that was cheap and not really stupid looking. ive never liked the look of leather or fake leather, but this was 20.00 and theres no animal products in it so i think its ok. i dont like faux fur either but alot of coats have faux fur trim (including 2 that ive owned for a while) so i deal with it. again no animals were hurt but i dont want people to get the wrong idea about me.

#10 Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM

Modern faux fur quality is awesome. My company has sold synthetic leather and fur since 1947 as economical substitutes for genuine hides and skins. Ironically, nobody in my trade -suppliers, competitors or 99% of our customers- ever consider the humane aspect of our products. But I do. For every yard we sell one less animal is killed.

"Wild Thang" fur jacket by Norma Kamali

Faux coyote trimmed cap by Ralph Lauren 

Check out my company's website -sommers.com and look at the fur collection. These are the top quality acrylic and modacrylic furs in the world. I became vegan a little less than a year ago. After years of promoting Sommers as "animal-friendly" and "guilt-free" it feels great to actually walk the walk (and with less heart burn). http://www.sommers.com/FunFurGallery.jsp

And if you can stomach it (speaking of heartburn...warning graphic) this video is from PETA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7aPoDg5fDc. So NEVER wear another animal's coat but by faux and save a furry friend today

#11 Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM

I don't... because I used to wear long time ago and one of my colleague asked me whether its real fur or not.... form that day I stopped using the cap.

But if somebody cant resist wearing fur then I think faux fur is 1000 times better :)

#12 Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't and wouldn't. Wearing it gives the impression that it's ok to wear fur/leather. In addition, it's been shown that what is sold as faux fur often isn't faux at all.

#13 Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a couple synthetic leather purses and shoes. I have no problem using them except at protests or while doing other animal advocacy. No one ever calls me out on it (except at protests) and when I get compliments on them it's easy to bring up the topic of veganism if I want to.
SepiaRoses likes this.
#14 Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I do have faux suede boots and a faux down looking coat with a faux fur lined hood. I like them, they are warm and look expensive even though they are not.

I do get weird about wearing them to other vegan get togethers. Which means that I must be insecure about it and maybe find something wrong with it deep down inside. I have encountered other vegans in the past who pointed out my boots and i had to clear it up. It made me uncomfortable.

I do agree with Elaine and think it can serve as a tool to educate other non vegans though- letting them know they don't have to sacrifice fashion trends to become vegan.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#15 Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post

I don't and wouldn't. Wearing it gives the impression that it's ok to wear fur/leather. In addition, it's been shown that what is sold as faux fur often isn't faux at all.

I had not heard of real fur being labeled as fake fur. Where has "it been shown" that this happens? It seems like there would be more of a profit in doing it the other way around.

I have heard of cat or dog fur being labeled as coming from some other animal. It is against the law where I Iive to use cat or dog fur for any purpose. Why do cats and dogs deserve special treatment? Aren't all animals created equal?

#16 Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Yeah, I do. I have two faux leather jackets and one that looks like fur inside. Also Shoes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page