Your favorite teas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Beginner

I don't know what it is about veg*ns and tea but I noticed that I've started to drink a lot more since converting. With almost every meal and through out the day too. So I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's favorite teas are..

At the moment my obsession is Sleepy time Vanilla.

smitten.gif

(I hope I can post this thread here)

|| Que sera sera ||

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I like tea, but I think I like herbal teas even better. Regular tea is good; I tried some Earl Grey tea (the kind Captain Picard from "Star Trek TNG" likes, and could hardly tell the difference between that and plain tea. Catnip, peppermint, and chamomile are nice, but I tried making some tea with lemon balm growing in my garden and it wasn't bad, although lemon balm tasted kind of weak.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Mightyleaf teas are the best (imho). I love a nice cup of chamomile before bedtime. I tend to drink water during meals, but I do love a nice strong cup of English breakfast after rising. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Beginner

The only tea I've ever found that doesn't leave an unpleasant after-taste is Bigelow's Green Tea with Lemon.  I drink a couple cups a day.

necrobabe:   I notice you said you drink tea with almost every meal.   One thing to keep in mind is that tea inhibits the absorption of iron, which can be a concern for vegetarians/vegans.

Tom likes this.
#5 Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielady View Post

necrobabe:   I notice you said you drink tea with almost every meal.   One thing to keep in mind is that tea inhibits the absorption of iron, which can be a concern for vegetarians/vegans.

I've read about that a few times when I first converted to vegetarianism five years ago and I do try to pair some really hearty veg meals with some kind of vitamin c rich drink but when it comes to breakfasts and card loaded meals I must have my tea.

But thanks for the heads up :3

|| Que sera sera ||

#6 Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM

I used to make my own sassafras tea until someone told me it was carcinoginic....i like a good green tea tho.....
Tom likes this.
#7 Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Beginner

Green tea is awesome. I especially like the flavored ones.

|| Que sera sera ||

#8 Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Love Hibiscus tea!

Republic of Tea has a flavor- Hibiscus Pineapple Lychee- so good!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#9 Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Beginner

Tea is awesome. I've always loved tea! Even before I went vegan, I liked it more than coffee, particularly fruity flavors, my all-time favorite being lemon zinger.

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted."

---Aesop
#10 Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Rose hip! There is a wood at 10 min walk where I live with a long field full of them. They are my nomnom in the summer and are super easy to dry to make tisane with them for the winter!

I tried green tea and I was not impressed. Maybe it was the brand or low quality I dunno.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#11 Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
 I notice you said you drink tea with almost every meal.   One thing to keep in mind is that tea inhibits the absorption of iron, which can be a concern for vegetarians/vegans.

Really? Where did you learn this? o.o I'm curious to know as that may explain some things......

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#12 Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Really? Where did you learn this? o.o I'm curious to know as that may explain some things......

I'm not the original poster but this study seems pretty devastating. The abstract recommends limiting tea to in between meals or increasing meat consumption. I'm guessing you will be more agreeable with the former option. :)

#13 Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm regularly drinking some exotic teas from asia that some friends bring me, the kind of stuff you cannot get in the west and that you cry you will never have anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#14 Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Rooibos or redbush tea, except I don't think it's actually a tea! Sweet herbal teas are my favourite tea-teas! tongue3.gif

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#15 Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Note that tisane (herbal tea) have less iron absorbing tannin. Some milk in your tea will bind the tannin to calcium before it binds to iron. Lemon in the tea and generally other source of calcium in your meal will increase by 3 your iron absorption. White yellow and green teas have less tannin. Eating more iron is obviously also ideal but 3-4 cup of tea per day does not hurt a vegetarian who eats well!

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#16 Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM

When I started vegan I did green tea for the cleansing effects, now I just love it.
#17 Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM

When I started vegan I did green tea for the cleansing effects, now I just love it.
#18 Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I've just been drinking a lot of Earl Grey right now, probably because I've been watching a lot of Star Trek: TNG and I'm obsessed with Picard. tongue3.gif
Tom and Aristede like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM

I drank Earl Grey most of my life (sugar + milk) and the kids drink an iced version and love it. I've branched out to more herbal teas and green teas. My newest favorite is hibiscus. I like the rosey color and innate sweetness without adding sugar. I stopped adding sugar to my tea and now appreciate the complex flavors that I used to erase when I put spoonfuls of sugar in my cup. I probably have over 10 types of tea in my stash and 3 loose leaf types. Coffee gives me headaches so tea is all I know.

#20 Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Rooibos aka red bush tea, black, with unrefined sugar. (It's a herbal tea.)

I'm addicted to assam tea at the moment as well (with soy milk and sugar).

#21 Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM

I wish I liked earl grey tea but I've tried it several times and just find it too...soapy.

I do like earl grey chiffon cake though. Anyone ever tried that? Or green tea chiffon cake?

#22 Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM

I made Earl Grey Cake from a recipe I found on this site last week. It was great and tasted just like a cup of tea but in cake form.

Marjoram likes this.
#23 Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Rooibos contains no tannins, and I think tastes most like real teas. My favorite,  plain, or with spices and vanilla almond or soymilk.

I didn't think herbal teas had tannins, since they're not even tea?

Do you know tea steeps in cold water? smiley.gif That meant a lot more iced tea for me!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#24 Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

It's true that true tea does inhibit iron absorption. I do drink black tea with meals, particularly breakfast as I love to drink my cup of black tea in the morning, but I do try not to drink it with multiple meals a day. I've been drinking tea for several years now and have never been anemic. Orange juice or another source of vitamin C with a meal increases absorption. Just one of many things to consider when it comes to nutrient absorption.

As far as I know, herbal teas should not have a similar effect at all. I'm not sure if this has been specifically studied, but they wouldn't contain tannins, so there's no reason to expect a problem. The Sleepy Time Vanilla the OP mentioned is most likely an herbal tea (I think that is from Celestial Seasonings?), so there shouldn't be an issue.
#25 Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlock View Post

I made Earl Grey Cake from a recipe I found on this site last week. It was great and tasted just like a cup of tea but in cake form.

I went to find the recipe when I read this and just finished eating one for dessert. Delicious! My son loved his also and was sad to see I made only 4 hehee. Thanks for telling us about the cupcakes.

#26 Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM

I couldn't live without tea, I drank lots before I went vegan and still drink lots now, but lately I get bored with all the black teas I drink, even my favourite orange pekoe I loved before, nothing tastes good enough now, I think that my taste buds are in rebellion huh.gif

I mainly buy Twinings, but would really want to find a black tea I like (except Earl Grey, I rarely drink other than nature black tea, that's my fav).

#27 Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post

I'm not the original poster but this study seems pretty devastating. The abstract recommends limiting tea to in between meals or increasing meat consumption. I'm guessing you will be more agreeable with the former option. :)

I knew some things interfered with iron absorption while others such as vitamin C assisted with it, but this refreshed my memory... I didn't know calcium interfered with iron absorption. I was thinking that a lot of my calcium, vitamin C, and iron all together came from those dark leafy vegetables I like so much... kale, turnip greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe... but now I'm not sure. Maybe the vitamin C and calcium in them would cancel each other out as far as iron goes.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#28 Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post

I couldn't live without tea, I drank lots before I went vegan and still drink lots now, but lately I get bored with all the black teas I drink, even my favourite orange pekoe I loved before, nothing tastes good enough now, I think that my taste buds are in rebellion huh.gif

I mainly buy Twinings, but would really want to find a black tea I like (except Earl Grey, I rarely drink other than nature black tea, that's my fav).

Try Mightyleaf Teas. They have so much more flavor than Twinings!

#29 Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Loose leaf with a filter straw!

Any Caffeine/Xanthine herb : Yerba mate, Tea, Coffee, Kola nut, Guayusa

Others:  Oatstraw, Nettle leaf, Damiana, Passionflower, Ginko, Sarsaparilla, Ginseng, Vanilla bean, Holy Basil are amongst my fav

Concerning tannins and getting enough iron...just eat 2 teaspoons of chlorella and/or spirulina sometime during the day

and you'll be getting about half your days iron needs right there to maybe help offset anything the tea might do.

(Spirulina has about 15% req in a teaspoon, Chlorella around 40% req in 1 teaspoon!) Chlorella also already has vit C in it.

#30 Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 AM

Had some sleepy time tea yesterday, delicious an put me out like a light lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page