Keeping Bees In Your Backyard? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 AM

I was talking to my employer last night and he mentioned that his sister keeps bees in her backyard. She actually has a hive in her backyard. She is not a beekeeper by trade. She is a lawyer. I had never heard of anyone keeping bees that is not a beekeeper by trade, so I was a little shocked. I asked him do you have to have a license for that and he said he wasn't sure. As a vegan what do you think about owning bees?  Do you think it is okay as long as she is not eating the honey they make?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

If she's not taking the honey (which makes them angry) and lets them swarm, which divides and expands their colony, then keeping them helps the bee's population and the environment, rather than being exploitive and hurting the bees (and consequently the environment) for profit! yes.gif

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#3 Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Oops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

If she's not taking the honey (which makes them angry) and lets them swarm, which divides and expands their colony, then keeping them helps the bee's population and the environment, rather than being exploitive and hurting the bees (and consequently the environment) for profit! yes.gif

Backyard beekeeping is a thing now. People *do* take and sell the honey, though, and they originally steal the bees themselves from the wild. http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/urban-beekeeping-zmaz80jfzraw.aspx?page=2

#5 Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

Backyard beekeeping is a thing now. People *do* take and sell the honey, though, and they originally steal the bees themselves from the wild. http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/urban-beekeeping-zmaz80jfzraw.aspx?page=2

I'm going to take a wild guess and say she probably is taking the honey and selling it or giving it away. I've known her and her brother for about 6 months and from what her bro has told me about her and my interactions with her, she just seems like the type who would do that. We live in Ohio, so I'm guessing she took the bees from the wild. Her brother also mentioned that the swarm she had prior to the swarm she has now all died.sad.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page