Vegan holidays with Grandparents... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Hey there! I have been vegetarian for 13 years, and recently went vegan! I still slip up here and there, but consciously try to only prepare vegan foods.

I will be visiting my grandparents for Christmas, and want to contribute vegan dishes at the table. I've been looking and have some ideas in mind (lentil loaf, vegan shepherds pie, sweet potato casserole) but was wondering if anyone here has good ideas that are semi traditional and very yummy! Also, they won't have a lot of crazy ingredients at their house.... Egg replaced, flax seeds, etc etc...

I know older folks are somewhat stuck in their ways, but I really want to win them over!

Tanya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

There were some great websites listed in some Thanksgiving threads that you could look at?

To win people over to the vegan side I find dessert to be a winner - yummy pies and cakes and gooey brownies never fail to make people go 'But how? This can't be vegan... its delicious...'  :D

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#3 Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Check out all these vegan holiday recipes on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=vegan+holiday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Check out all these vegan holiday recipes on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=vegan+holiday

Wow, thanks for this fantastic stuff!! Maybe I need to join this Pinterest thingie.

Bumping this thread for sure! smiley.gif
#5 Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 AM

For me, whenever I contribute vegan foods to family functions, I try to just make "traditional" foods.

Mashed potatoes without all the milk and butter

Meat dishes with mock meats like veggie round ground or yves chicken strips

Vegan soups..

and on Christmas morning...VEGAN PANCAKES!!!

I find the healthier looks, the more it gets rejected. I recall one year making this gigantic chick pea salad that was declined by all 10 others sitting at the table. It was cool though, I just ended up with lunch for the next week. I love my family but they're remarkably frustrating when it comes to my diet choices. I'm definitely the black sheep "hippy".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page