HALP! I need to feed people! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 AM

My mother in law is coming over tomorrow to celebrate my 2 year old's birthday. I have ingredients for chocolate cupcakes but I have no idea what to feed her for lunch/dinner.

This is a woman who goes to a 4 star restaurant and complains that the food is "skimpy" and has "no flavor." She's generally gracious with the food I've given her in the past out of civility, but the vegan thing is going to throw her over the edge I just know it. She's going to complain about how she's just STARVING the whole time because there's NO FOOD. 

Please help!

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

How about a hearty pasta dish with a "cream" sauce made from tofu, nutritional yeast, and olive oil. Throw in some roasted seasonal squash and veggies like brussel sprouts. That would be filling and full of flavor.

Or some grilled portobello and roasted red pepper sandwiches on foccacia with a vegan pesto mayo, with a side of fresh cut baked french fries or sweet potato fries.

or

If you can't come up with anything make your son's favorite dish and claim that he wanted everybody to eat it for his birthday wink3.gif

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#3 Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM

The sandwiches sound good. I was thinking about doing a soup/sandwich thing. 

I also thought about only serving what the little one wanted. She requested nuggets and fries. With nuggets at 4$ for 10, though, that's a pretty expensive birthday lunch when you also have to feed 4 adults.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

I also thought about only serving what the little one wanted. She requested nuggets and fries. With nuggets at 4$ for 10, though, that's a pretty expensive birthday lunch when you also have to feed 4 adults.

How about making one of the hearty dishes above, but do so with your kid's "help" and then tell grandma that you and the kid made this dish for her.

Nothing like sweet sweet guilt-trip- er, I mean, "love"  to make a dish flavourful.

I'm only partially joking.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#5 Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh I'm sorry! For some reason I thought you said your son. blush.gif

The boca nuggets? Yeah, those are pricy. Maybe just make a bag of them along with the sandwiches. And make the fries fro everyone!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#6 Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

A slightly more serious response -

What about curry on rice? She can't really complain that a spicy curry isn't flavourful and enough rice can make it very filling...

You could go vegan Paula Deen and make a super rich lasagna with, like, a tub of coconut oil or Earth Balance and tons of Daiya and ground round?

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#7 Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM

#8 Old 11-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

What about homemade nuggets? WAY cheaper... Here are 3 recipes... 

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/121152/animal-shaped-chickn-nuggets - adorable.

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/27149/ranch-tofu-nuggets-very-kid-friendly

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/46316/chicken-nuggets

For delicious cheap homemade fries, cut potatoes into thin slices. Chill them for one hour in ice water (Do not skip this step). Place on a pan that's lightly coated in olive oil. Season how you like - bake, turning a couple of times until cooked through and slightly crisp on the outside. 

EDIT: For a change you could make half the fries with sweet potatoes. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#9 Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Thank you everyone!

We're going with chickenfree nuggets, happy face fries (as per kiddie request), pasta and salad.

:)

We had to call her to ask her to bring her own cream for coffee. The conversation wen't something like...

MIL: "You don't have cream!? Why not?"

DH: "We're vegan."

MIL: "There's nothing wrong with cream! How do you take coffee?"

DH: "I drink it black."

MIL: "This is way too extreme."

#10 Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 AM

Ooh, I thought your mil had requested chick'n nuggets. tongue3.gif Why don't you get her some silk creamer instead, she won't notice a difference.
#11 Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I'm if she thinks black coffee is "extreme" then she's not going to be satisfied. Just make everyone else happy so she seems unreasonable when she complains.
#12 Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Yeah I'm if she thinks black coffee is "extreme" then she's not going to be satisfied. Just make everyone else happy so she seems unreasonable when she complains.

LMAO!!

<3

#13 Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the suggestion to get some silk soy creamer. Put it in a little creamer jug and she'll never know the difference.

the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#14 Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Any chance of just getting your other half to have a quiet word with her along the lines of 'You're in our house, you're being rude, eat what you are given and be gracious about it'? If my mother acted like that I'd be horrified! If she's that fussy I'd be tempted to tell her to make something for herself since I wouldn't want to disappoint her with my mediocre, flavourless food :P

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#15 Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

I agree with the suggestion to get some silk soy creamer. Put it in a little creamer jug and she'll never know the difference.

Yes she will. I would, so would DH. We're used to straight cream. I would agree with you if we were used to the commercial creamers. 

We're also boycotting silk. :o

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page