To buy or not to buy: L'Oreal EverCreme - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 AM

I'm currently in the process of going through my items and sifting out the vegan products from the non-vegan for my soon-to-be vegan lifestyle. After throwing away almost all of my shampoos and conditioners, I stopped at the bottle of L'Oreal EverCreme. So I'm aware that L'Oreal is a company synonymous with animal testing. But as I read the of the bottle for kicks, I was shocked my what I saw:

100% Vegan: Formula not tested on animals, no animal byproducts.

I had heard that the company was going to try and take steps towards more animal friendly, vegan friendly products. I'm sure that this particular line of theirs is the only one that's "vegan". But it leaves me to (not too seriously) pose this question: Is this product okay for vegan purchase because of it's claims? Or because of the association with L'Oreal, is it still off limits?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Ultimately, it's your decision on what you are willing to accept.  I don't think I would purchase the product until the whole line went cruelty-free / vegan / untested on animals.  My line of thinking is that if they get have a product that caters to vegans and/or animal activists, they may feel that they don't need to change anything else or any other products.  If you see more and more products move in that direction, then I'd reconsider - that would show a clear movement in the right direction.

Also, I wouldn't trust a label on the bottle.  I'd do a little more research.  Careful wording can make anything seem legit.

Oh, and congrats on going vegan! Good luck!

I lost 130 pounds by changing my diet.  Check out the details here:  

http://www.jimisitko.com/wordpress/tonyas-blog/

#3 Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM

This does not make sense to me. Maybe someone could clue me in?

L'Oreal is a huge company, with it's own research and development department (or at least it was when I was a chemist looking for a job 5 years ago). That research and development department does test on animals as far as I am aware. Most animal research done by companies like this are not related to specific products, but the development of new ingredients and intermediate formulations. Any actual final products (like EverCreme) would be subjected to opinion panels and things on human volunteers (most of the time this is done within the company for minor incentives, gift cards, stuff like that). 

Furthermore, they probably source some of their raw materials from companies like Guivadan (a fragrance company) have extensive R&D departments that do animal testing. And I mean seriously stupid animal testing like genetically engineering mice to have diabetes and seeing how much faster they drink sugar water (this is an actual example from a Flavor and Fragrance symposium held this fall). 

How can L'Oreal call just ONE of their products vegan?

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM

As you have already bought it then you may as well use it, even if you won't be buying from L'Oreal again.  There is no harm in writing to L'Oreal and asking what their policies are on animal ingredients and testing. L'Oreal owns Body Shop and maybe it has decided for public relations reasons to adopt a 'cruelty free' policy on L'Oreal branded products as well as Body Shop ones.

I don't know what cosmetics and toiletries companies that there are in the US.  I use Honesty Cosmetics moisturising creme for dry skin during the winter.

http://www.honestycosmetics.co.uk/

#5 Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitko View Post

Ultimately, it's your decision on what you are willing to accept.  I don't think I would purchase the product until the whole line went cruelty-free / vegan / untested on animals.  My line of thinking is that if they get have a product that caters to vegans and/or animal activists, they may feel that they don't need to change anything else or any other products.

I agree. It's like Clorox making one eco-friendly cleaner - Greenworks. A lot of people were all, "Way to go Clorox! Good job!" but ONE green cleaner does not an ethical company make. They still mostly make toxic, icky cleaners that are tested on animals and horrid for the planet. Though Greenworks is actually safe and eco, I'd never buy it because Clorox makes it. 

I think when a company makes just one eco, vegan or what have you product, it's just to get more money from that little group of people who wouldn't buy from them before. I also think if you can make one product ethically, without chemicals or safer, why not do it with your whole line? That would make sense. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I do believe that L'Oreal along with Revlon and many other mainstream cosmetics companies did away with animal testing back in the 80’s. It is annoyingly difficult to find that information online, but I have found it in the past. Now, either they have phased animal testing back in, or PETA has found some other reason to put them on the "does test" list. What is suspect is that PETA is looking at their larger parent companies, which may make products such as medical supplies and pharmaceuticals, which must be tested on animals. I'm just not sure. Most cosmetics companies actually claim that they do not test on animals if you visit their websites -- Neutrogena and Almay were two companies I recently researched. Bear in mind the possible sources of bias for information you read online, including PETA's list.

Only you can make the decision about what to buy. Buying a more expensive product from a seemingly small "natural" company does not necessarily mean that product is less likely to be tested on animals.
#7 Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Here's what I found on actionforourplanet.com:

L'Oreal
The cosmetics giant has a long track record of animal abuse with millions of animals being tested on and killed by the company. The French multinational corporation uses ingredients that have been tested on animals, despite public statements to the contrary. It has also been criticised for lobbying against an EU ban on animal testing for cosmetics. Now that the EU is banning all animal testing by 2013 L’Oreal claims it will be stopping animal testing for ethical reasons.

I don't like the last sentence at all. mad.gif
#8 Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I do believe that L'Oreal along with Revlon and many other mainstream cosmetics companies did away with animal testing back in the 80’s. It is annoyingly difficult to find that information online, but I have found it in the past. Now, either they have phased animal testing back in, or PETA has found some other reason to put them on the "does test" list. What is suspect is that PETA is looking at their larger parent companies, which may make products such as medical supplies and pharmaceuticals, which must be tested on animals. I'm just not sure. Most cosmetics companies actually claim that they do not test on animals if you visit their websites -- Neutrogena and Almay were two companies I recently researched. Bear in mind the possible sources of bias for information you read online, including PETA's list.
Only you can make the decision about what to buy. Buying a more expensive product from a seemingly small "natural" company does not necessarily mean that product is less likely to be tested on animals.

L'Oreal does not have a parent company but Nestle (boycottable in it's own right) controls 30% of it's shares.

I do know something about these businesses. L'Oreal and Revlon both have R&D departments that preform animal testing. Virtually none of this animal testing is done on final products but on new intermediates and ingredients. The ethical issue is that when you give L'Oreal your money, part of it goes to fund the animal testing. 

There is very little regulation on statements like "cruelty free" or "no animal testing." They're as bad as "cage free" and "free range." Your best bet is to go with small independent companies. They generally do not have the money for extensive R&D, although a few will send out some things for independent testing in labs that may or may not conduct animal tests. It's important to contact them and get a clear answer as to whether or not they do this. 

There are a few beauty brands that support and encourage veganism (Lush, Beauty Without Cruelty).They cost more money, but if you care about where your money goes it's worth looking into.

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

#9 Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing I wonder about is does buying vegan products from non-vegan brands help to make a push for a wider array of animal-friendly products? Sometimes it's not so easy to find vegan stuff like shampoo and face cream, etc. In France, for instance, such products are not carried in supermarkets and are widely available. The city my mother lives in (where I fall back to when I need) is by no mean small (around 200,000 inhabitant), well, believe it or not, there's absolutely no vegan brand being sold and not even a Body Shop (which is where I used to buy make up). Having a whole range of vegan products, even made by L'Oreal, could be an option, couldn't it?

(this is some kind of quandary for me, I must say)

#10 Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

The fact that the "FORMULA" is not tested on animals doesn't mean the individual ingredients or some combinations of the ingredients used weren't test on animals during the process of creating the product. It's their round about way of squeaking into the label "vegan" and "not tested on animals". 

the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#11 Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I did read that L'Oreal had a vegan line a few years ago but personally I wouldn't buy it as I can buy more animal-friendly products elsewhere.smiley.gif

#12 Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM

why would you throw things away that aren't fully used? huh.gif

very wasteful....

Also, there isn't like a "vegan rules" book lol do what feels right FOR YOUgrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page