Males vegans out there! Do you feel more manly after choosing veganism? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

When I first decided to become vegan, I felt that I'd be less of a man. After a year of being vegan I feel more of a man because I followed my heart, dealt with the truth, and so on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 AM

I feel like more of a man. Diet and beliefs has nothing to do with character. Those who wanna **** around can deal with me personally.
#3 Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM

My DH reports that his manliness has not changed, as all of his organs are still intact. 

Jumpwhat007 and chai like this.

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 AM

For me my diet or ethics will never change the way I feel about being a man. I was good with that before I went "Strict Vegetarian".

I have become a healthier Man as well as better educated one..that's for sure.

#5 Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 AM

my fiance loves being vegan!

He always talks about how people judge him for not being manly he was like :

BECAUSE IF YOU DONT EAT WINGS AND PIZZA DURING THE GAME THEN YOURE FAGGG

#6 Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Lol I've been called a fag and all that ****. I could care less. My will power is strong. I'm a total bad ass lol
#7 Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHRchannel View Post

When I first decided to become vegan, I felt that I'd be less of a man.

Why did you feel that way?huh.gif

The Mighty D likes this.
#8 Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Why did you feel that way?huh.gif

I hardly see any men like this but I went for it anyways because society has no control of me. :) 

#9 Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM

Yeah im a rebel lol
#10 Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

From a females point of view I have always found that I see the men I meet as more manly if I discover that they are vegan or vegetarian. I'm always a bit turned off by those "you have to eat meat to be a man" types. 

Julianna Bresko likes this.
#11 Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM

Where's that man/meat combo coming from? We're not hunters and gatherers anymore, we have supermarkets! And if men are manliest when they eat meat, wouldn't that imply that all women have to be vegetarians? Men = meat = manly! Women = lettuce = feminine! huh.gif
#12 Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM

Statistically I do think that there are more women vegetarians, correct me if im wrong.....but I feel more manly now than ever. I was limited when I ate like a slob. Now im more active, and have more energy. I'm one manly vegan lol
#13 Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Nah. Man to the same degree as before, no more or less.

I like to think that fewer chickens have spent their lives in battery cages and such, but my manhood is neither increased nor decreased.

I don't ascribe particular value to being a man anyway. I mean, I am a man, but it's not as if being... oh, a woman, or a boy, or a girl would be somehow worse.

(Also, I'm a white guy, but being vegan hasn't made me whiter, I'm an American, but being vegan hasn't made me Americaner, I'm a Midwesterner, but being vegan hasn't altered that either...)

#14 Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

What does "manly" mean?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#15 Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What does "manly" mean?

Multiple choice:

A. Un-godlike

B. Dislikes sugar, spice and everything nice

C. You'll never know

D. Tom Cruise

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#16 Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 AM

I think being a vegan man is really attractive! Who (vegan girl or not) would not want a guy with a compassionate heart and is not afraid to do something out of the ordinary. And the guys that try to tease you for being vegan- those guys end up looking like total tools and just seem insecure. Much love for you vegan/ vegetarian guys out there smitten.gif

the truth resists simplicity- John Green

#17 Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Manly? Isn't that really a bit like saying 'Blokey'? Who wants their identity, in all of it's uniqueness and diversity, to be so eviscerated that it can be slotted safely into some culturally inculcated bland homogenous notion of normalcy. I like individuals who have the poise and self-assurance to be exactly themselves. 

Move of Ten and drowsyturtle like this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#18 Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ (INS)  That's how I see it.

lv

#19 Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What does "manly" mean?

Was wondering about that too, actually... huh.gif

#20 Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM

If you're a lumberjack, sleep all night, and work all day; then you're manly.
roflysst likes this.

#21 Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

If you're a lumberjack, sleep all night, and work all day; then you're manly.

Hehhehehe!

Got it!

#22 Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM

I do notice some people tend to see me as less manly than other men due to my vegan lifestyle but I couldn' t care less. We live in a time where a man isn' t judged by the size of the mammoths he hunts anymore.

I guess we really need a new definition of manly. How about following your heart and standing up for the weak and abused creatures on planet earth?broccoli.gif

#23 Old 10-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalia View Post

Where's that man/meat combo coming from? We're not hunters and gatherers anymore, we have supermarkets! And if men are manliest when they eat meat, wouldn't that imply that all women have to be vegetarians? Men = meat = manly! Women = lettuce = feminine! huh.gif

Well at least we know all women should go veg now. I agree with the above - that is super confusing. I don't get the meat = man deal. 

To the OP, I've known lots of vegetarian and to a lesser degree vegan guys, and they're just the same as other guys I meet. Plus, I raised my own son vegetarian from birth and if we're talking stereotypes, this kid is all boy. AND I really thought he'd be less boyish because also going with stereotypes, I'm pretty girly (I like pink and dresses and sparkles and flowers and all that "typical" socially girl stuff) and so I thought I could raise a totally neutral kid, but I was dead wrong. I bought my son cars and books and dolls and crafts and legos and so on - i.e. a mix of toys, not just "boy" toys, plus talked the kid's ear off about human rights across the board. But no, he likes all the "typical" boy stuff and acts really boyish in my opinion. 

So even veggie boys from birth simply are who they are. I don't think diet has any deep (change-inducing) effect on personality. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#24 Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Zelda Freak

P.S. OP, you might like this Facebook page - Real Men are Kind to Animals

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#25 Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 PM

I have always had kind of the opposite image of meat eaters, ie that they are pale, and spotty........they are kind of wimps that go into a shop with a small bow and arrow and then fire it at a plastic wrapped steak, then dribble home to eat their kill.

#26 Old 10-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I have always had kind of the opposite image of meat eaters, ie that they are pale, and spotty........they are kind of wimps that go into a shop with a small bow and arrow and then fire it at a plastic wrapped steak, then dribble home to eat their kill.

Ever seen a butcher? Yeah, those guys in the manly bloody aprons wielding manly bloody cleavers, well I've never seen such a bigger bunch of spotty, lardy, pale faces, like those guys anywhere.. 

#27 Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 PM

I've lost a total of 7 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. I think I look and feel more manly than ever.
#28 Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

P.S. OP, you might like this Facebook page - Real Men are Kind to Animals

I've seen it before. Sometimes I share some pictures to show what being a man is about.  :)

#29 Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM

I feel hot...

#30 Old 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM

I don't feel more manly since becoming vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page