Needing Encouragement - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM

So here's the story, I went vegan on September 19th. I came down with a cold four days later. The cold has not gone away, it's been 23 days. I've never ever had a cold that's lasted this long. I keep getting new complications. First it was just a regular cold, then it was bronchitis, now that the bronchitis is clearing I have a fever and a really sore throat. :(

I'm trying very hard to not blame this on my diet, but I have never ever had a cold that went on for longer than a week. I've never in my adult life had bronchitis. 

What has been your experience with being vegan and illnesses? 

My mom is telling me not to worry, that it's because my little one is in preschool now and preschool germs are horrible giant mutated germ monsters unlike any I've ever seen before. lol

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Now, I haven't been vegan long enough to pitch in diet wise. But, trust me, school and preschool germs are different from any other germs! If your sore throat persists, have them check you for strep. That's the first thing I would check for if you're exposed to kids. tongue3.gif
#3 Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Bronchitis is extremely nasty and can happen to anyone especially if you're down with a really nasty cold.  I do hope you've been to the doctor to make sure it isn't something like walking pneumonia especially with a fever which is not common. 

Usually switching to a vegan diet means you're getting better nutrition since you're automatically paying more attention to your food and likely to be consuming a lot more nutritious substances.  Obviously you can still be vegan and eat incredibly unhealthily. 

Kids and germ factories especially if they've just entered school, which is good for their immune system but not so much for us as their caretakers.  There is the possibility that you've back-to-back illness from kids and school. 

I'm sorry you're so under the weather, it sounds like it has been terrible.  Bronchitis usually leaves you with a horrible sore throat and lingering cough to recover from when it's cleared up but the fever sounds a little worrisome. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM

I think it's safe to say that your cold, or whatever it is, has nothing to do with veganism.  

The only health difference I noticed when I first went vegetarian, was that I had a lot less "stomach flu" which was apparently food poisoning, that I used to get once or twice a year.  Now I go several years in a row without vomiting.  It's wonderful!

I HATE to throw up and had I known that would happen, I would have gone vegetarian as a small child!

#5 Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Dalia, Thank you. I've had strep before and it doesn't feel like strep. I don't think my fever is high enough (only around 99.5, and it's not constant), and only one tonsil is affected. It feels viral.

If my fever starts to get high or the sore throat doesn't clear up by Thursday I'm going to see a doctor, though. I'm kind of afraid I'll have to tell them I'm vegan and that they'll say I need meat to be healthy or something. Is that a stupid thing to be afraid of?

#6 Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

I've been vegan about 2 years, and have been sick much less than other years, but on 9/15 I came done with the virus that had been making it's rounds at my workplace. Most miserable cold I've had. Actually took a sick day from work! Anyway, it hasn't really gone away. I'll be just fine, then start coughing up mucus, or blowing my nose relentlessly. I think I'd probably get antibiotics if I saw a doctor now but I'll wait it out.

I agree, early school germs are about the worst.

Keep vaporizing and decongesting, I love the Yogi tea "Breath Deep" for congestion and sore throats. Somewhat licouricy tasting, usually not my thing, but good.

Lots of water and lemon.

Probably a good time for a multivitamin if you don't now.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd definitely blame it on having a child in preschool! wink3.gif

I've never been sicker in my life then when my son started last year. My daughter began preschool this year, so now I have 2 little germ monsters working against me.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Do u smoke?? I got bronchitis 3 times while I was a smoker.... However, if u are really sick just make sure u get tons of vitamin c. This is the season when people start to get sick unfortunately
#9 Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Oh wow, such speedy and thoughtful replies! I love this place ^_^ Thank you, everyone.

@Medeina- The fever is low, it hasn't gone above 99.5. I think it's a typical cold fever. I don't know how long I've had it, I didn't think to check my temperature until today, but I've been feeling worse since I got the sore throat.

@Silva- I was just out looking for tea today, I got the traditional medicinals "throat coat." It's way too sweet for me, but it does work. Lots of licorice root. I 

don't take a multivitamin. I take algae omega threes, D2, B12 and have fortified soy milk and a cup of greens at every meal (not for nutrition, I just love greens, haha!). 

The funny thing is that the little ones are not nearly as sick as I am. The one in school has a runny nose and the other one has a teeny tiny cough that causes her no discomfort. 

ETA: I don't smoke and I'm not around anyone who does. :)

#10 Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

It isn't your diet. For one thing it was only four days that isn't enough time for your body to suddenly fall apart, which it isn't. You got sick, it happens. I only discuss my diet with doctors if they ask. I have only been asked once. I rarely get sick but I bet if I spent time around a preschooler that would all change.

If meat is the answer why is my niece and her whole family suffering with colds? They eat fairly healthy except for all of the meat.
#11 Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I doubt it has to do with veganism; it may have to do with your own diet's lack of vitamins/minerals, etc., but that has little to do with veganism and more to do with your own choices.  :)  I personally used to get bronchitis once a year pre-vegan and haven't had it since being vegan.

#12 Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 PM

I haven't been sick since becoming a vegan except for stomach viruses.

I've had pneumonia and bronchitis three winters in a row, all around new years and it just randomly stopped.

It sucks, but it hasn't occured after becoming a vegan.

#13 Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

If my fever starts to get high or the sore throat doesn't clear up by Thursday I'm going to see a doctor, though. I'm kind of afraid I'll have to tell them I'm vegan and that they'll say I need meat to be healthy or something. Is that a stupid thing to be afraid of?

It's not stupid. If a doc tells you that, do this... smile and nod then later find a new doctor.

My son was vegetarian from birth and our first pediatrician was a nightmare about meat, as in, "Make him eat it or else" but I found someone new and she was awesome and very veggie supportive. 

I agree with everyone who said it was your kid's germs most likely. I just got over some crazy flu, and I'd bet a million dollars it had nothing to do with vegan eating and everything to do with the fact three kids live at my house who go to school with hundreds of germy kiddos. Kids bring stuff home. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#14 Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Thank you, I'll do that (with the doctor, I mean).

Okay so now I'm considering home school. :P (just kidding)

#15 Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

"Vegan" is rather broad, there is no way to know whether your diet can be a contributing factor without knowing the details.   But there are definitely dietary factors that would effect your ability to heal from an illness, though most would take longer to development.  Indeed, if anything it would be related to your diet before you switched to a vegan diet.  

Generally speaking, when you develop bronchitis its time to visit the doctor.  

Kids are no more breeding grounds for viruses, etc than adults.   Kids just get sick more often because they have less immunity to the various viruses, bacteria, etc that are in the environment.  

#16 Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 AM

I feel much better this morning. The fever is gone and my throat has calmed down. It still hurts but not as bad. The cough is still there, it's pretty bad to day. If it doesn't get better by Thursday I'm going to the doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Kids are no more breeding grounds for viruses, etc than adults.   Kids just get sick more often because they have less immunity to the various viruses, bacteria, etc that are in the environment.  

You sound like a person who does not have very young children. :P

Little ones will sneeze right on your face and wipe their noses on any available object. When they play they put everything in their mouths. They never wash their hands very well, either. You put a bunch of these little slimey creatures in close quarters and, yes, a breeding ground is pretty much what it becomes. :D

#17 Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM

Lol nothing quite like getting sneezed on huh?
#18 Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

I feel much better this morning. The fever is gone and my throat has calmed down. It still hurts but not as bad. The cough is still there, it's pretty bad to day. If it doesn't get better by Thursday I'm going to the doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Little ones will sneeze right on your face and wipe their noses on any available object. When they play they put everything in their mouths. They never wash their hands very well, either. You put a bunch of these little slimey creatures in close quarters and, yes, a breeding ground is pretty much what it becomes. :D

Oh yes. This.
#19 Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

The things adults do to sanitize themselves and their environments is far less effective than what they think, their environments are crawling with viruses and bacteria just like kids.   That is event whenever a new virus starts to circulate, it will spread among adults like wild-fire.   The reason kids appear to be harborers of disease is their lower immunity to disease.  People get sick less and less (from communicable diseases) as they age. 

But yeah, its unlikely your illness is related to any recent dietary changes.  

#20 Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Zelda Freak

Yeah, before I had my son I was barely sick and had been vegetarian for about 8 years or so. After my son, I got sick a lot more.

BUT I was also around more parents and their kids too and many parents use lame antibacterial products instead of good old soap and water, thus helping to build nice little super germs. Also, my son's daycare used antibacterial products. 

Antibacterials and antibiotics in cleaners, soaps and animal products do more harm than simply kids being kids and having kids immune systems, but still I think parents run into germs more often due to all those kids and having to be at the doctors more, etc. 

On an odd note though, I recently read about a study that showed that parents may actually get sick less often than people without kids. Maybe it's because you're exposed to more stuff, and building up resistance. http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/74/6/567.abstract?sid=457a575b-83e6-4430-81cc-a837913f9e95

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#21 Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM

I got some of that Yogi Breath Easy tea and it's much better than the Traditional Medecinals taste-wise. Thanks for the tip.

The worst part about this cough is (TMI alert!) the uterine prolapse. And also having to change my underpants every 20 minutes. LOL sorry to over share but I figure some moms here might understand. :P

Also, my DH is in Philadelphia right now eating vegan at a five star restaurant, he called me to tell me how amazing it was. Thanks, guy. :P 

AND I just found out that one of my friends who was an inspiration to me for choosing to be vegan just switched to a "paleo" diet after 8 years of being vegan "for the animals." :( She cites having no energy and loosing a ton of weight (she was underweight already) when she moved to where there wasn't any vegan grocery options as the reason for the switch.

Today was a super sadface day. OK I'm done complaining now. :/

#22 Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I think you should see a doctor; that's a long time to be sick, and the fever this late in the illness could signify a bacterial infection. Was it over 100.5 F? And that cough sounds horrible, you need some good cough medicine! I hope you feel better soon!
#23 Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I think you should see a doctor; that's a long time to be sick, and the fever this late in the illness could signify a bacterial infection. Was it over 100.5 F? And that cough sounds horrible, you need some good cough medicine! I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow. At least if I don't wake up feeling like a happy tap-dancing squirrel, which I'm sure I won't. I've been waiting for my husband to get home from Philly so he can stop eating at five star restaurants and watch the kids so I can go to the doctor. -_-

The fever only got as high as 99.5, and it only lasted a day. It's gone now. 

I haven't been taking any cough suppressants in the hopes that it won't last as long if I don't. It would be nice to have them for bedtime, though. I haven't really slept in a while.:/

ETA: If anyone would like to play the world's smallest violin just for me, I'd really appreciate it. :P

#24 Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

It doesn't help to cough your head off. If it were me, I would take a suppressant before bed. Sleep helps you heal. You could also try a humidifier in the bedroom, or breathing in hot steamy water, in a bathtub or just your head over a stove pot with a towel as a tent.

And as soon as you feel better, Mr Someone had better take you out for a nice vegan meal. grin.gif
#25 Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Update!

I went to the doctor. I have three secondary infections! Hooray, I win the prize! 

Strep throat, bronchitis and sinusitis. I've been prescribed antibiotics, rest, and a narcotic cough syrup for sleeping. If it's not better within 5 days I have to go back for sinus and chest x-rays. 

I told him that my 4 year old just started preschool and he said, "This is just the beginning of the nightmare." He said if I didn't do something to improve my immune system, I could expect to spend the next 10 years in misery. His recommendation was consistent daily exercise. He noted that I have an (almost) healthy BMI and didn't even ask me about my diet. 

I told him I'd just bought a treadmill the day before I got sick and we had a laugh over it.

#26 Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Glad you are feeling better!  With all those antibiotics, make sure you are drinking some probiotic drinks like kombucha to put the good bugs back in your system.  Once I went vegan, I also began drinking kombucha daily.  I never get sick anymore, and I have 3 kids in public schools (the great germ warfare environment).

I lost 130 pounds by changing my diet.  Check out the details here:  

http://www.jimisitko.com/wordpress/tonyas-blog/

#27 Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitko View Post

Glad you are feeling better!  With all those antibiotics, make sure you are drinking some probiotic drinks like kombucha to put the good bugs back in your system.  Once I went vegan, I also began drinking kombucha daily.  I never get sick anymore, and I have 3 kids in public schools (the great germ warfare environment).

Thanks but I'm not really feeling better, yet. lol

I haven't really heard of kombucha, but I'll check it out the next time I'm at the store. How does it taste? 

#28 Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM

It's a fermented tea flavored with either fruit juices or real fruit.  If it has fermented too long it tastes like vinegar, but most people probably say it tastes similar to wine or beer.  I don't like wine or beer, but I love kombucha! Go figure lol.  

I lost 130 pounds by changing my diet.  Check out the details here:  

http://www.jimisitko.com/wordpress/tonyas-blog/

#29 Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Fermented tea sounds like something I could really get into. :P

I love wine, beer and vinegar. :D

I've been considering using soy yogurt instead of milk for snacks, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page