U.S. milk sales reach lowest level in decades - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

LINK
Quote:
Blame it on bottled water or changing tastes, but sales of milk as a beverage have fallen to the lowest level in nearly 30 years - with more than half of U.S. adults no longer consuming the dairy industry's most iconic product.

Even the milk-thirsty Great Lakes region, which leads the nation in flavored milk consumption, hasn't curbed the downward trend that's gripped the dairy industry for decades.

In 2011, total U.S. beverage milk sales were 53 billion pounds - about 6 billion gallons - the lowest level since 1984, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture figures released in August.

Whole milk beverage sales in 2011 were less than half their level from the early 1980s, according to the Agriculture Department.

"We have known there's been a continuous decline in per-capita milk consumption for many years, going back even further than 1984," said Vivien Godfrey, CEO of the Milk Processor Education Program known for the "Got Milk?" and milk mustache advertising campaigns.

Shifting consumer habits and a flood of new beverages in the marketplace, including sports drinks and bottled teas, have taken a toll on beverage milk sales, Godfrey said.

While Americans consume about the same number of gallons of beverages as they did in the past, they're drinking a lot less milk.

This might explain all those ridiculous attack ads against non-dairy milks wink3.gif

The only downside is that yogurt consumption is up, hopefully more people will switch to almond or coconut milk yogurt when they realize how tasty it is.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM

I work as a cashier in a grocery store and A LOT of people buy soy/almond milk nowadays. It's VERY encouraging to see this in a small town in cow country! :-)

#3 Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsEmilie View Post

I work as a cashier in a grocery store and A LOT of people buy soy/almond milk nowadays. It's VERY encouraging to see this in a small town in cow country! :-)

Of course, most adults are lactose intolerant.  They are probably happy to use something similar to something that is familiar but without digestive distress.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

LINK
This might explain all those ridiculous attack ads against non-dairy milks wink3.gif
The only downside is that yogurt consumption is up, hopefully more people will switch to almond or coconut milk yogurt when they realize how tasty it is.

I am wondering about that.  I remember reading a few years ago that the dairy industry has long ago realized that adults aren't partial into drinking glasses of milk so they put their energies in getting people to consume yoghurt, cheese and ice cream.

Great news though!  Thanks for posting.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#5 Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

It's just so funny that they keep shooting themselves in the butt (the dairy industry, that is)

There isn't any defense for drinking cow milk!

I remember when my soy/almond milk didn't even need my name in my work fridge. Now it better have it, because there are so many other different ones!

Have you ever tried the lactose free milks? evil.gifspew.gif

That doesn't even make sense! It's soooo gross! 

Thats something I WILL point out to people picking it up! Try all the non dairy milks! They're real and don't involve babies!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Its not surprising really, milk is pretty gross.  Are they going to stop forcing it down kid's throats yet?  

#7 Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Zelda Freak

The reason no one is drinking milk is because everyone is eating cheese instead - animal issues and obesity. Thrilling....

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

The reason no one is drinking milk is because everyone is eating cheese instead - animal issues and obesity. Thrilling....

Wow, I didn' t know cheese consumption has gone up so drastically, that' s really alot.

What I really want to see is milk losing it' s reputation of being super healthy, especially for kids. That' s what really bothers me.

I don' t think there is any excuse for drinking milk either, especially since there are SO many delicious plant based "milks" out there:)

#9 Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post

What I really want to see is milk losing it' s reputation of being super healthy, especially for kids. 

Actually milk is kind of being challenged. This summer (July 19) the nonprofit Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), filed a petition asking the USDA to remove milk as a required food from the national school lunch program. PCRM argues that milk is not part of a healthy school lunch because....

There’s limited proof that milk improves bone health or reduces the risk of osteoporosis; dairy foods may create other health risks; milk does not prevent bone fractures and injury in children and adults; cows milk is the number one source of saturated fat in children’s diets; one in eight Americans is lactose intolerant; more than 1 million U.S. children struggle with milk allergies.

PCRM nutrition education director Susan Levin, M.S., R.D., also has noted (and I agree with her)  that, “Focusing on milk as the single most important source of calcium in children’s diets distracts schools and parents from foods that can actually build bones, like beans and leafy greens.

But of course, it'll be a good long while and/or a long shot to get milk out of school lunches. In fact, at most schools in order to get an alternative (soy or such) you have to go through a lengthy process of writing the school letters, which is BUNK because the USDA now requires schools to provide an alternative if someone asks. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#10 Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM

I think that sounds awesome, Jennifer. I didn' t know about that yet. Hope they make progress with that.

It' s different here in Germany, atleast by my observations. Milk is, as logic said, pretty much forced to the children, who are taught about how healthy it' s supposed to be. That really saddens me since I' m currently studying to become a kindergarten teacher and have witnessed just that in passed practical experiences in kindergartens.

#11 Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Beginner

YES! Good news indeed smiley.gif and don't worry guys we'll get there, the public is just beginning to turn away from dairy milk now that there are delicious alternatives. I'm confident that this is a lifestyle that will only grow and expand as time goes on. Animal industries be warned, you're dark days of inflicting terror WILL come to an end.
#12 Old 09-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Beginner

It turns out to be a pretty god news! I think that more and more people realize that milk isn't as healthy as it pretend to be! Calcium, protein.... bull****! we can find it without milk.

but it will be difficult to really dicrease the intake of most families. 

we have to stay positive and to hope (4  the cows) that this drop will continue !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page