Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By nogardsram
  • 1 Post By Patty J
  • 1 Post By leong_cf
  • 1 Post By zirpkatze

#1 Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned

I have been invited on a trip up to Washington by my brother (and his wife and 3 kids) who paid for all expenses. Anyhow, he knows I'm vegan but the deal was (if I wanted to go on this trip with the family, as we haven't seen eachother in 2 years), no special arrangements would be made for my diet so I would have to either agree to eat at typical restaurants where they eat, or basically not to come.

So.....I am deciding to break my vegan diet on this trip and go back to eating meat. (Many places they are going are steak houses where even vegetarian options are not available) so I'll just have to do what I need to do for a free vacation! :) Wish me luck guys. I do feel kind of guilty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Wish you luck? There are so many wonderful veg friendly places in DC, of cuisines from around the world. You don't need luck, you need conviction.

Is your brother using this as some kind of judgemental thing? If so, I don't t see how you could enjoy being around him. If not, you can find your own food.

Really, even most steak houses have veg friendly options.

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/searchmap.php?distance=15&x=54&y=7&address=d.c.&lat=&lon=

You really don't need special arrangements. You don't ever have to discuss it. Bring some ramen noodles (top ramen, oriental flavor), and buy snacks. Your hotel may have a breakfast with bagels and fruit.

I can see accomodating dairy, or eggs on this trip, but really, do some research and stick to what you believe. If your brother just wants to "own" you, then what does that say about him? Or you if you allow it!

It would be like you were his "pet", whack.gif, and from what you've said-- you're not an animal! 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Yes my brother pokes fun at me for my veganism, but I normally just suck it up and ignore it. Like I said I haven't seen him in 2 years. I want to catch up with my nephews especially. I apologize if this makes me "less convicted" than certain others here but there is no way I'm bringing raman noodles for a 2-week vacation to eat every night. They taste nasty. And going out to eat is a big part of vacations for my brother's family. It would only cause drama if I bowed out of that aspect.

I have some guilt about this but there *are* worst things in the world. I miss meat terribly as well so it will be a nice little break from my usual diet. Of course I'd never admit that to HIM, but I think he secretly knows it. Anyway...this post was sort of a "confession" to get it off my chest and hopefully get some support from others who don't think it's as bad as I'm making it out to be in my head. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Steak houses, especially nice ones that have a real chef, should always be able to provide you with at least a vegetarian option. Baked potato? Side salads?  I don't think you're going to find many people here "wishing you luck" with eating meat. Some would say that if you willingly eat meat periodically, you aren't really a vegetarian at all, just someone who eats a vegetarian diet most of the time.

#5 Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Banned

^Is that so wrong?

#6 Old 08-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I've had to eat at a number of steak houses in my time and I've never had a problem finding something to eat that didn't have meat, if it really comes down to it you can always ask them to modify a dish and leave the meat out of it. Restaurants are very accommodating most of the time.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Oregon, which type of carnivore will you become?

www.thinkhumanimal.com

#8 Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Vegan View Post

^Is that so wrong?

Well, if you want to remain a member of our vegetarian forum, which is for vegetarians, maybe it's not a great idea to advertise that you're going to eat meat sometimes and even looking forward to it a little bit.

#9 Old 08-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:

there *are* worst things in the world. 

Sure, like all the billions of animals killed each year for food.

The fact that you can't choose the restaurant doesn't mean you have to eat meat. You can ALWAYS ask for the chef to do something special for you. 

You'll be in DC, not in the middle of nowhere in a foreign underdevelopped country in which the concept of not eating animals and animal products doesn't exist (a bit like France, actually :p)

If you wan't to stop being vegan, that's your choice. But I doubt you'll find much support here.

不死鳥
#10 Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, why don't you at least go into the situation thinking that you'll try to stay vegan? You might find that it is easier than you think. If the restaurant is classy, they should be able to do something. 

#11 Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
 I do feel kind of guilty.

As you should.  This is very disappointing, because you're not even TRYING.  I went to a steakhouse with my boyfriend's family, and I was able to get a pretty tasty salad without the chicken.  Most steakhouses also have baked potatoes, side salads, steamed vegetables, pasta minus the meat, french fries...maybe not the healthiest vegan foods, but at least you're not eating animals.

Why are you vegan?

#12 Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Ankle Biter

I'm sorry that you miss meat. I'm sure you'll find that your cravings get better over time if you stick with it.

If you had been truly committed to being vegan you would find a way to make this trip doable, and without having to pack 14 bags of ramen. rolleyes.gif There are options, even in steak houses, and I doubt you'll be eating in steak joints for every meal. You could definitely manage it without too much difficulty. But since you have already decided that you're going back to eating meat, I guess that's that. As for coming here to ask for support for your returning to a omnivorous diet, this is really not the appropriate place. no.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#13 Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

It would be easy to eat lacto- ovo anywhere on the vacation if you don't want to eat vegan.

You don't have to eat meat. It sounds as if you are letting your brother dictate your diet for his convenience or some power trip thing.
#14 Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

You are barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for encouragement to eat meat on a vegetarian forum. If you really had your heart set on going back to eating meat, you could have done itwithout announcing it on the Internet. We never would have known. Not sure what your goal is here.

There are countless other solutions to this problem--not just eat meat or not go. One very doable option would be to avoid meals with your brothers' family but spend other times socializing with them. As others have mentioned, though, even steakhouses should be able to accommodate you, even if it isn't an awesome meal. French fries or a baked potato and a salad, for example.

It's pretty rude to invite someone on a trip and then make no effort to accommodate their dietary preferences. It sounds like your brother is just being selfish. Certainly there are more veggie friendly restaurants that would be acceptable. There shouldn't be much of an objection if you do the research and propose a few restaurants that have veggie and meat options.
#15 Old 08-29-2012, 05:25 PM

I am annoyed that you are giving so many excuses as to why you have to eat meat. I am even more annoyed that you came here to brag about it (and that is what I think you are doing). Stop playing the victim and put your big girl panties on. Even a chain steakhouse has vegetarian options.

#16 Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

Why are you vegan?

If I remember right, the OP isn't vegan.  He or she eats a total vegetarian diet.

#17 Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn69 View Post

I am annoyed that you are giving so many excuses as to why you have to eat meat. I am even more annoyed that you came here to brag about it (and that is what I think you are doing). Stop playing the victim and put your big girl panties on. Even a chain steakhouse has vegetarian options.

That says it all...

We've all given you alternatives. My suggestion of bringing some ramen was just an idea to have something on hand if you don't get something from a restaurant. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Sad to see veg*ns revert back sad.gif I usually bring my own food for trips, as long as I have access to a fridge and freezer I'm alright. But if I had to eat out for some reason, there's usually a way to stick to veganism even if the meals are a bit boring.

I believe if you truly want to be vegan, you'd just be vegan. This is America, plant foods aren't that scarce. xD Especially your state, oh my. I would love to visit Oregon someday.

All we are is dust in the wind
#19 Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

^Is that so wrong?

I know you've been posting a lot about humans being more important than animals lately, but you did say you don't think animals should have to go through what they do for your food. Think about what is worse... being a little socially uncomfortable as a result of not eating meat at a restaurant with your family, or living life in a factory farm and then being slaughtered for food?

I hope you change your mind, but if you are dead set on eating meat then don't continue to post about it here.

#20 Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

Sad to see veg*ns revert back sad.gif I usually bring my own food for trips, as long as I have access to a fridge and freezer I'm alright. But if I had to eat out for some reason, there's usually a way to stick to veganism even if the meals are a bit boring.

Yeah, I'd say if a raw vegan can go to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Florida, and other vacations and find food at the airport (or bring own) and also at resorts, hotels, and grocery stores, I don't see why people make such an issue over it.  Yeah, you might want a vegan pizza or vegan burger, but just pick up some nuts and fruit and eat your pizza when you get home.  I feel great on vacations eating my usual healthy foods, flat stomach, tons of energy, continue my workout regime; while other people stuffed to the brim just want to nap.

Also, assuming you truly haven't been eating animal products for a certain length of time, meat and/or dairy may cause stomach upset for you.  Which probably is also "socially" "uncomfortable" and since it has to do with the self, an important human such as you, maybe that's a [good enough] reason to avoid meat!  :)

#21 Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

What exactly is the point of this thread?

The following is the saddest part of this whole thing. To feel that being socially uncomfortable is worse than living life in a factory farm and being slaughtered purely for taste (or for someone to not feel socially uncomfortable).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Think about what is worse... being a little socially uncomfortable as a result of not eating meat at a restaurant with your family, or living life in a factory farm and then being slaughtered for food?
Raskolnikova likes this.

I believe everything.
#22 Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Beginner

I haven't been vegan long but I've yet to come across a single restaurant that didn't have at least one vegan dish. At the very least you shouldn't have a problem finding something vegetarian to eat. It sounds to me like you aren't making much of an attempt to eat veg and you're actually looking forward to eating meat. Make no mistake I'm not one of those vegan nazis that get on people's case for not being vegan enough. Regrettably, I've been in situations where I've had little choice but to eat animal products, I'm sure many of us have. But here's the difference between a vegan and a non-vegan:

Vegan: If in an unpredicted and/or seemingly uncontrollable situation where they feel like they must consume and/or otherwise use an animal(s) or animal product(s), they don't look forward to and/or enjoy the consumption and/or use of said animal(s) or animal product(s).
Non-Vegan: Typically enjoys the use of animals and/or animal products, and makes little or no attempt to refrain from the use and/or consumption of animals and/or animal products.

It seems you are missing what the vegan lifestyle is about. We acknowledge that the pain and suffering of others is far more important than our own selfish desires, therefore no matter how strong the urge or pressure from others we make it our top priority to refrain from anything that harms sentient beings. In the rare event that this is absolutely not possible, I think it's best to refrain from enjoying this unfortunate occurrence out of respect for the oppressed who suffered needlessly.

I recommend you watch the documentary Earthlings as well as undercover footage from groups such as Mercy For Animals and Compassion Over Killing to remind you why you started this lifestyle in the first place, and help you stick to it during this difficult situation.
#23 Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Beginner

I don't understand. I could NEVER 'go back'. There are ways to deal with this IF YOU want to. I think you're using this trip as an excuse - you said it yourself, you miss meat and want to eat it. I think you need to re-examine why you're vegan.

Raskolnikova likes this.
#24 Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM

Can't you eat anything that's non-meat with them? Even at McDonald's, you can easily order some apple pie or french fries...etc.

Sounds like it's so easy to break you... After reading two threads you started, I'm beginning suspect something

Raskolnikova likes this.
#25 Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Banned

I have another confession.....

I ate a hamburger tonight. Went to BK and ordered one with fries and a coke. I'm going to try to retrain my body to adjust to meat so I won't have to be sick on the actual trip. I feel sick to my stomach right now, feels like it's greasy inside and it feels odd after all this time. But I'm going to try to eat meat from now on....at least for a little while.

Sorry guys

#26 Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess it all comes down to why you're vegan: if it's for AR, you'll find a solution, even if it's "just" vegetarian. If it's for health or environmental purposes, then I can understand that you're not too hellbent on keeping your vegan diet, however, why advertise this on a veg forum?

I must say I was really shocked when I read your posts on this thread.

#27 Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have another confession.....

I ate a hamburger tonight. Went to BK and ordered one with fries and a coke. I'm going to try to retrain my body to adjust to meat so I won't have to be sick on the actual trip. I feel sick to my stomach right now, feels like it's greasy inside and it feels odd after all this time. But I'm going to try to eat meat from now on....at least for a little while.

Sorry guys
i'm not sorry for reporting this post grin.gif
Raskolnikova likes this.
#28 Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

MOD POST:

Our rules state you must be a vegetarian to be a member here: https://www.veggieboards.com/t/61578/rules-infraction-system-please-read-prior-to-posting

Closing this thread since the OP is no longer with us.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page