Vegans who don't love animals - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

#31 Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

Cute photo. That rat looks very cozy :)

When I was growing up, my friend had a pet rat. White with grey spots and I thought he was cute so I wanted one too. Of course, my mother hated rats and was deathly afraid of them so that wasn't an option. She grew up back east, where she claims the rats were vicious and as big as dogs! (Yiiiikes). So, we got guinea pigs instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
adapt. evolve. become

That's weird. The wild rats I've seen have no interest in attacking humans, they just want to survive like any other creature. xD Rats aren't that big.. o.o;;

My mom was just ok with rats at first, then grew to love 'em.

All we are is dust in the wind
#33 Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

^Do you live back east? I kid you not. I've heard horror stories about what it was like for my mom to grow up and have rats chasing after her down the street. She said they were the size of small dogs, came up from the sewers, and went for the jugular. shocked.gif I can tell this is true because she has a lifelong fear of rats due to her childhood experiences with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Well I live in Chicago. They don't sound like Norwegian rats at all. Seems more like a horror story than real life... I remember seeing a dumb movie like that before actually. 

#35 Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM

People go veg for so many different reasons. I did it for health at first (although I claimed to love animals). I honestly didn't feel much for cows and other animals. I felt like they were just dumb creatures. But as I learned more about the non-selfish reasons for going veg-- it became much more important to me. I do believe animals have souls. Do you like any animals? Dogs? Cats? I think if you knew a farm animal you might feel differently--you may see that they have personalities and don't fall under such simple generalizations like "expressionless" or "smelly".  Please watch the documentary "Peaceable Kingdom: The Journey Home" it is really eye opening to see the more human aspects of animals.

Raskolnikova likes this.
#36 Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Just like I love my dog, I try to love all other animals equally. :) 

#37 Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM

I'm in agreement with you. I started being a vegan for the health benefits but have expanded my knowledge of factory farming and animals for human use etc. Being Vegan like allot of things is a personal choice and a journey for the individual who travels it.

I am not an activist and don't plan on being one but being a vegan and knowing I help do my part for animals makes me feel good mentally and physically. That is all that matter's to me.

Raskolnikova likes this.
#38 Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Beginner

I can't understand what you feel. if you don't like them, it is your choice and you are like this! however you are right to say that you don't have to let them suffering just to eat them! how dare we to do such a thing!

you know it is the same i hate spiders! I don't kill them but I can't look at them! and cats I don't feel confortable with them. I woudn't like to have a cat at home. but if one of them would be in danger I would try to rescue it.

#39 Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Beginner

It is so cute! I didn't think we could have a rat at home. how do you take car of it? how do you do to feed it? does it have to go out or it can stay a home all day long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

I live with rats. Is that supposed to be a bad thing? laugh.gif

I even make them beds! ^^ Look- A bed in progress. And he's sleeping on it already.

Btw, ever hear about the tick that causes red meat allergy? I love them for that. :p

GEDC0919.JPG 2,130k .JPG file

#40 Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

It is so cute! I didn't think we could have a rat at home. how do you take car of it? how do you do to feed it? does it have to go out or it can stay a home all day long?

The rat in the picture, Victor, passed away last January... from a resp. infection that was not responding to meds. I think the nebulizer would have helped him, but I did not get it in time. 

6 of my boys live in a Ferret Nation, and the other 2 boys live in a "wabbit" cage. I've been trying to get all the boys to accept each other, but it's taking longer than I expected it to.

Their main diet is Harlan lab blocks, and once or twice a week they get fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, grains, etc. I feed them vegetarian because they don't need meat to be healthy, they aren't carnivores after all. I actually stopped feeding my rats meat a year before I went vegetarian if that means anything lol.

They also sometimes get whatever I'm eating, if I have enough to share (and want to.. LOL)

Letting them outside their cage is very important, it is not good for them to be stuffed up in their cage all day. You can rat proof a room (I did), let them play on a large table, a bathroom, some people use their bed, and you can just have a play pen, like The Grrreat Wall. 

Why "free-ranging" is important-

"Ideally your rats should have at least an hours free range time several times a week in a rat proofed area. This will provide them with both mental and physical stimulation as well being good fun and a great bonding time for you and your rats. Free range time is also a good time to check your rats’ health and it will keep them fit and healthy. It is essential to provide them with this time out of their cage to prevent them becoming bored."

http://www.northern-lights-rats.co.uk/rat-playtime.html

It is also important that they are kept in pairs because they are very social animals. And no, it does not make them less social towards you ^^

#41 Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM

No, I actually love pigs and they are very adorable.

You not thinking so makes me think "Really..."

Raskolnikova likes this.
#42 Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Beginner

thank you very much for your answer and the details. In fact it is quite easy to have a rat at home. I think. and you are right rat can be vegetarian. :) it they are in good health is it the most important :)

is it difficult sometimes to find them when they are out of the cage? they may hide themselves sometimes?!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

The rat in the picture, Victor, passed away last January... from a resp. infection that was not responding to meds. I think the nebulizer would have helped him, but I did not get it in time. 

6 of my boys live in a Ferret Nation, and the other 2 boys live in a "wabbit" cage. I've been trying to get all the boys to accept each other, but it's taking longer than I expected it to.

Their main diet is Harlan lab blocks, and once or twice a week they get fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, grains, etc. I feed them vegetarian because they don't need meat to be healthy, they aren't carnivores after all. I actually stopped feeding my rats meat a year before I went vegetarian if that means anything lol.

They also sometimes get whatever I'm eating, if I have enough to share (and want to.. LOL)

Letting them outside their cage is very important, it is not good for them to be stuffed up in their cage all day. You can rat proof a room (I did), let them play on a large table, a bathroom, some people use their bed, and you can just have a play pen, like The Grrreat Wall. 

Why "free-ranging" is important-

"Ideally your rats should have at least an hours free range time several times a week in a rat proofed area. This will provide them with both mental and physical stimulation as well being good fun and a great bonding time for you and your rats. Free range time is also a good time to check your rats’ health and it will keep them fit and healthy. It is essential to provide them with this time out of their cage to prevent them becoming bored."

http://www.northern-lights-rats.co.uk/rat-playtime.html

It is also important that they are kept in pairs because they are very social animals. And no, it does not make them less social towards you ^^

#43 Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I personally love all animals. I do have a friend however who is vegan and she doesn't love animals. She doesn't even like most of them. They scare her and she doesn't like them being near her. She's a vegan for health reasons and because she just doesn't like animal products in food. 

Raskolnikova likes this.
#44 Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 PM

The OP was banned a while ago, I think, for going back to eating meat..

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/137131/going-back-to-eating-meat-next-monday/20_10#post_3184372

#45 Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

thank you very much for your answer and the details. In fact it is quite easy to have a rat at home. I think. and you are right rat can be vegetarian. :) it they are in good health is it the most important :)

is it difficult sometimes to find them when they are out of the cage? they may hide themselves sometimes?!!! :)

No problem. Well, they'll still get sick, especially as they age. http://www.80stoysale.com/ratsickness.html

My rats are fine, I've been feeding my current group all vegetarian since I got them and they are full of energy and don't appear to be sickly. They probably do eat the occasional bug in the house, wouldn't surprise me lol.

My oldest are over 1 year old, and I got them when they were about 6 weeks.

As long as they can't escape the play area, or get into any furniture it won't be hard to find them.

#46 Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

The OP was banned a while ago, I think, for going back to eating meat..
https://www.veggieboards.com/t/137131/going-back-to-eating-meat-next-monday/20_10#post_3184372

yep, the op went back to meat :/ which is sad, and I don't quite understand why he did it, since it is possible to stay veg*n when you travel. it's not like Oregon doesn't have much vegan options either... isn't it supposed to be more vegan friendly than Chicago? o.e

Raskolnikova likes this.

#47 Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 AM

I'm starting to love all animals now, but in the beginning I didn't really love them. Actually I have been very sceptial (I guess you could say that) towards animals - they never seemed to like me. Now my boyfriend got a cat who is so loving I just can't help myself. I just love her so much. And this love is beginning to go towards other animals too.
I turned vegan for health reason, but now it's an all ethical thing. But I think every living being deserves to be treated with respect and enjoy life as much a possible - also the living beings I don't like. I might even don't like some people, but I still believe they should be treated right. 

~ Trine
#48 Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvox View Post

I'm starting to love all animals now, but in the beginning I didn't really love them. Actually I have been very sceptial (I guess you could say that) towards animals - they never seemed to like me. Now my boyfriend got a cat who is so loving I just can't help myself. I just love her so much. And this love is beginning to go towards other animals too.
I turned vegan for health reason, but now it's an all ethical thing. But I think every living being deserves to be treated with respect and enjoy life as much a possible - also the living beings I don't like. I might even don't like some people, but I still believe they should be treated right. 

I feel ya. Me too. Glad to have you here :)

#49 Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Beginner

American radio host Robin Quivers was asked a few years ago why she became `vegan` - Was it because of animal rights?  she replied  "F--k the animals, this is about me".

People like that make me more misanthropic each day.

"Burt?...it's Frank. We have a little problem"
#50 Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong View Post

American radio host Robin Quivers was asked a few years ago why she became `vegan` - Was it because of animal rights?  she replied  "F--k the animals, this is about me".

People like that make me more misanthropic each day.

What a b*tch. brood.gif

Raskolnikova likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#51 Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

What a b*tch. brood.gif

I agree that it's not the best statement as well. But in the end isn't it better if more people are vegan than not? We might not agree with her and she said it very harshly, but vegan for animals or vegan for personal reasons are still both vegan. The more the better!

Raskolnikova likes this.
#52 Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
 but vegan for animals or vegan for personal reasons are still both vegan. The more the better!

Not by the "real" definition and basis of veganism. Veganism has always been about the animals. Sure in the end the animals still win, but I really don't par too well with people who can only be bothered to do things for themselves. They are strict vegetarians. That is all. And it's not so much about "labels labels labels," but I feel that if we are going to have such labels, we should keep them up to the general standard they have always been. Once people start changing the label to suit themselves, it loses its meaning.

Raskolnikova likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#53 Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

There's several definitions online, many are just "A person who does not eat or use animal products" and many other similar ones. It's very open-ended in a lot of cases. In the end I don't think I have to agree with them, but it's different for everyone. The more people who are vegan the better, no matter what their reasons. That would be like saying someone is less of a vegetarian when they were raised one for religious reasons rather than choosing to be one due to ethical reasons. 

#54 Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM

no......^

#55 Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

If Robin Quivers doesn't give a **** about animals, how could she be vegan? As that would entail not using leather, fur, wool, silk, animal-tested cosmetics etc. Maybe she is a dietary vegan and not a vegan in the first place?

Someone who doesn't give a **** about animals has closed their mind off from many of the countless other uses of animals beyond animal agriculture, such as vivisection, zoos, breeding pets etc etc. So I don't consider that a good thing, even though it's better than someone who is eating animal products.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#56 Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM

a "vegan" who doesn't care about animals is equivalent to a meat eater in my book.

sorry, not sorry.

#57 Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM

A lot of omnis "love" animals, yet they continue to be unapologetic omnis.  And a lot of vegans don't "love" animals, so not eating them appears to have more to do with a person's ability to empathize and sympathize with animals in general, and their personal ethics.

Raskolnikova likes this.
#58 Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post

I agree that it's not the best statement as well. But in the end isn't it better if more people are vegan than not? We might not agree with her and she said it very harshly, but vegan for animals or vegan for personal reasons are still both vegan. The more the better!

no.gif Oh no...give up....I ran from this argument. Trust me it's not a win for some Vegans here and my new handle will be  "Strict Vegetarian" from now on.

#59 Old 10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post

a "vegan" who doesn't care about animals is equivalent to a meat eater in my book.
sorry, not sorry.

Really? Except for the part where they aren't contributing to the suffering of those animals I guess... dizzy2.gif

Personally I'm always happy to see people stop eating animal products for any reason, it still helps. Considering we're like 2% of the population and most people are total carnists it's pretty silly to attack people who aren't contributing to the meat/dairy/egg industry and could be potential allies. The animals don't care what your reasons are, they just don't want to suffer and die.

If you scare people away from a plant based diet because you don't think they're doing it for the right reasons that's just shooting yourself in the foot. Right now US meat consumption is declining and it's not because a bunch of people are becoming hardcore vegans, it's because a lot of omnis are starting to incorporate more vegetarian meals into their diets. I'd love to take an all or nothing approach and I understand it's frustrating when people don't seem to care about animal cruelty, but in the end billions of animals are being saved from misery on factory farms and billions more could be saved if this trend continues. I will always advocate for veganism for ethical reasons, but if someone chooses to eat a plant based diet for health or environmental reasons that's still doing a lot of good whether they have compassion or not.

I think we'd all be better off working together and focusing on educating people about AR issues and how to go vegan. Fighting amongst ourselves doesn't help any animals.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#60 Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Really? Except for the part where they aren't contributing to the suffering of those animals I guess... dizzy2.gif
Personally I'm always happy to see people stop eating animal products for any reason, it still helps. Considering we're like 2% of the population and most people are total carnists it's pretty silly to attack people who aren't contributing to the meat/dairy/egg industry and could be potential allies. The animals don't care what your reasons are, they just don't want to suffer and die.
If you scare people away from a plant based diet because you don't think they're doing it for the right reasons that's just shooting yourself in the foot. Right now US meat consumption is declining and it's not because a bunch of people are becoming hardcore vegans, it's because a lot of omnis are starting to incorporate more vegetarian meals into their diets. I'd love to take an all or nothing approach and I understand it's frustrating when people don't seem to care about animal cruelty, but in the end billions of animals are being saved from misery on factory farms and billions more could be saved if this trend continues. I will always advocate for veganism for ethical reasons, but if someone chooses to eat a plant based diet for health or environmental reasons that's still doing a lot of good whether they have compassion or not.
I think we'd all be better off working together and focusing on educating people about AR issues and how to go vegan. Fighting amongst ourselves doesn't help any animals.

I mean ethically.

For example, I wouldn't consider myself to be similar to them or want to befriend them.

Obviously, I'm happy they aren't PARTIALLY contributing to the suffering of animals because let's get real they aren't buying cruelty-free products or abstaining from leather.

Do I say this to peoples faces? No because that would to more damage to the cause. Am I thinking ****? yes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page