People should eat real meat over mock meats?! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Zelda Freak

So, over at the VeggieBoards Facebook page I posted this

"Make homemade vegan bacon for a vegan BLT or other sandwich, veggie "bacon" cheeze burgers or dress up vegan pancakes or a tofu scramble - http://trib.al/gUhj4B"

Along with this image:

(Image by Flickr User Vegan Feast Catering)

I figured some people might like the recipe. Anyhow, someone didn't like this as it happens. She left a comment that said:

Quote:
"I strongly disagree with this whole VEGAN ,BACON bull. why the hell do you want to imitate bacon if you are vegan? I am and i just cannot get my head around people giving vegan dishes meat names get original please i do not even want to taste this just because you call it something bacon YOU want to be VEGAN then get creative and call it as it is and not some taste budd experience then eat real BACON PLEASE"

She later said:

"We (vegans) want to stop or prevent people from killing animals for consumption then we can get original with what we eat and not hide behind what people like it is feeding your tastebuds and not your body..so wrong"

She explained it further in more of her comments, some of which I got and some of which didn't make much sense. But anyhow, I'm wondering if you feel this way? I was a bit shocked that any vegan would shout out to people that they should eat real meat. 

I can't imagine being more happy telling someone to eat real meat vs. mock meat because vegans don't believe in hiding behind fake meats. That seems nuts. But since this individual put vegans into a group, saying, "we vegans" feel this way - I figured I'd see, who, if anyone here does. 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of fake meat, but that's taste-wise. I like some though for variety and I'd rather feed people mock meat than animals. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

o.O. Either that's a omnivore troll or a strict vegetarian (health vegan), or one of those fad vegans (who are only really vegan because it's cool and they really don't know much about it)  who is really rude, and instead of being compassionate they want to bash other people's others' decisions in life that aren't harming anyone are actually GOOD for the animal's sake.

I see no other way why a vegan would actually advocate someone eat meat. It's a troll, or a fad vegan who somewhat knows about animal suffering but still advocates others eat it rather than the vile mock meat. o.O

Yah know what, I don't even know, they act like they care about the animals, but then they seem to have mixed priorities. They are confusing lol.

I love my fake meats. They make being vegan a lot easier, but I totally understand people who don't want to eat them. I just don't understand this one. dizzy2.gif

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Zelda Freak

Hmmmm, she didn't seem troll-like but did have some nutty ideas. Maybe she was though - she did start relating the issue to being racist, which made ZERO sense. So, you could be right I suppose. 

The thing is, I get the whole, if you're vegan, why not be creative and make non-processed foods. It is healthier and what have you. BUT I also don't see how one must now have the drive to be continually creative in the kitchen to be vegan. Healthy cooking and not eating animal products aren't the same issue.

I know it's hard for many people to go vegan or even vegetarian and I've seen mock meats make a big difference in jumping hard hurdles, so I'm for it. 

Motherwitty likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I know it's hard for many people to go vegan or even vegetarian and I've seen mock meats make a big difference in jumping hard hurdles, so I'm for it. 

Very much agreed. I could be vegan even without mock meats, (I'm trying to cut back currently as they don't go through my system as smoothly) but I know they just make me comfy and happy. I like them so I don't mind putting mock bologna on sandwiches. =3

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
adapt. evolve. become

So "bacon" can only come from slaughtered pigs?... Nice.

I'm guessing it was a health vegan (or strict vegetarian) but being healthy is not a requirement of being vegan.

My diet is similar to an omni diet, but the difference is that no animals are killed just so I can eat.

But that's the whole point of veganism. To not exploit animals, which they are obviously not exploited to produce veggie meat.

I love veggie meat. I eat it almost everyday. I like the taste and the fact that it did not come from a slaughtered animal.

All we are is dust in the wind
#6 Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Beginner

I once heard an omni say he thought it was funny that we eat fake meat but I've never heard anything like this from a veg*n. I don't see anything wrong with satisfying one's taste buds as long as it's cruelty free.

My first thought when I saw the comments you posted, was that people really should stay off boards when they're drunk.

#7 Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I know they just make me comfy and happy. I like them so I don't mind putting mock bologna on sandwiches. =3

They make meat eaters happy too. I'm going down to my aunt's house in two weeks for dinner - I'm cooking for all meat eaters minus my son and me, so I'll be making mock orange chicken, brown rice and veggies. I can eat it, plus this sort of food goes over really well with meat eaters in my experience. I've seen meat eaters who like some mock meats so much, they choose them over real meat some of the time, so it's useful in this way too. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

Being healthy is not a requirement of being vegan.

Exactly. Health and food get tricky when people try to overly mix them up. It's like people who refuse organics because they're "no healthier than conventional" which, although I disagree, is besides the point. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty J View Post

My first thought when I saw the comments you posted, was that people really should stay off boards when they're drunk.

Ha ha! It was morning so I hope that wasn't the case! 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

How about, it's none of her business what vegan foods other vegans eat? 

gaudettem likes this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#9 Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Oryzatarian

It may have been a troll, or someone with a huge and unbalanced ego, but dont rule out bat-**** crazy.

Theres lots of bat-**** crazy types out there ;-)

What I'm waiting for is a mock-mock-meat fad. Real meat made to look fake so omni emo kids can fit in with their vegan friends without public embarrassment.

#10 Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 AM

I'm not a huge fan of fake meats either (but I do like them on occasion or in certain dishes), and I certainly don't think I need to be telling other veg*ns what to eat.

I think the other thing to consider, though, is that the point of posting these recipes is so that vegans, vegetarians, folks trying to cut back on meat, Meatless Monday participants or others can actually find them online and use them to make their own veg dishes at home.

When these folks are looking for a veganized version of a BLT, they are going to search for something along the lines of "vegan BLT" or "vegan bacon"-- so they would never find this useful recipe if you called it some made-up name that is completely unrelated to the animal product for which it is a plant-based alternative.

Making sure that the people who need or want veg recipes can easily access them -- and that they don't give up on their veg journey out of frustration (or missing old faves) because they can't find recipes -- is reason enough to use familiar terms that make it easy for people to find them.

Like it's already been mentioned above, fake meats make it easier for some folks to transition to a plant-based diet. So if we want to encourage healthier, more compassionate living, making information about meat alternatives easy to find is obviously part of that. It sucks that some vegans don't get that.

But complaining about using a name typically associated with an animal product is one thing, recommending that it would be better to actually eat the animal product than use the name for a vegan recipe is just ridiculous.

Some vegans...I tell ya.

My blog:
facebook.com/CheapVeganChick

#11 Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

What a dumbo. Yes, killing an animal is SO MUCH BETTER than not killing one.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan police on patrol!

veganpolice.gif

Arachnapheria and gaudettem like this.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#13 Old 08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Beginner

I don't think it's her argument that is necessarily flawed - from a health standpoint I'd certainly suggest fish or poultry over incredibly processed vegan food. However, when applying it to this specific scenario her logic is mere insanity. Bacon is terrible for anyone. It's supposed to be used sparingly, if at all, in a standard omnivorous diet (let alone a veggie one). It's up there with simple sugars. Meanwhile, vegan bacon (the store brands - I've only made tempeh bacon) from what I gather, tastes very similar and mocks the salt and crunch of bacon. But, it's much healthier and obviously doesn't require an animal to be killed. This is stupidity and/or trolling at its finest. 

"Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves." (Lord Byron)

#14 Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

Vegan police on patrol!

veganpolice.gif

Oh my gosh, yes xD LOL!

#15 Old 08-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

Vegan police on patrol!

veganpolice.gif

Vegan police! 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#16 Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

All I'm gonna say is
I love vegan bacon!
#17 Old 08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

It tastes like smokey, possibly chewy/crispy, salty? That's not pig taste!

We make up words. English speaking people just don't have different words for vegan foods! I see no problem calling something that resembles bacon in taste "bacon". Or "burger, hot dog, or even steak!"

The poser should get over themselves. It's NOT a dead animal!

Vegan bacon can be healthy or not.

Just looked at the recipe-- I've made that! What could be a better name? Smokey tempeh strips just doesn't cut it for me>

I bet the person was a newbie. I hated and feared faux meats when I first gave them up. Now I get real cravings because I recognize them for what they are-nothing to do with flesh, just texture and spice.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Riot Nrrrd

The only time it bugs me is when some cutesy alternate spelling is used for the veg version - like "cheeze" or "bakon". It just annoys me.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#19 Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

The only time it bugs me is when some cutesy alternate spelling is used for the veg version - like "cheeze" or "bakon". It just annoys me.

That annoys me too. However, it does make it easy to pick and choose recipes online sometimes. If you see the "cheeze" you know it's vegan (usually - or you know, people can't spell). 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#20 Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Quote:

That annoys me too. However, it does make it easy to pick and choose recipes online sometimes. If you see the "cheeze" you know it's vegan (usually - or you know, people can't spell). 

Why?  Like Jennifer points out - it usually means it's vegan. What would you prefer? The word 'fake' in front of cheese or bacon? Faux? Mock? Vegan? I've heard other people complain about adding all those words. What should we say? How should we spell it? Why does it matter?

#21 Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

If the fundamental rules are agreed on (vegetarians don't eat mammals/fishes/birds & vegans don't knowingly exploit animals in any way) I don't think it necessarily matters what "bugs" someone, so long as we're not prescribing/pontificating about what others can or can't say or do. Because then it gets policey.

Personally I disagree with Dave, I find veggie versions of words for veggie meat substitutes trashy and playful which IMO is quite as they should be. After all they're not serious 'health foods', just veggie versions of junk foods, so cheezy words fit quite well. It's not as though it represents any kind of precedent in the junk food industry either, after all! 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#22 Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Your "friend" sounds like a wonderful human being.

There are a few who share her views around here--not sure if they are still around. The only thing I can figure is that faux meats somehow evokes impure thoughts of eating meat and prevent them from achieving the highest echelon of Vegan. Although indirectly, these people are perpetuating animal suffering.

I would just ignore this person unless she is a close friend, in which case perhaps you can agree to disagree. She is likely not going to change her mind.

"Vegan bacon" is somewhat ambiguous--it could mean bacon from vegan pigs. (cue groan)
#23 Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Your "friend" sounds like a wonderful human being.
There are a few who share her views around here--not sure if they are still around. The only thing I can figure is that faux meats somehow evokes impure thoughts of eating meat and prevent them from achieving the highest echelon of Vegan. Although indirectly, these people are perpetuating animal suffering.
I would just ignore this person unless she is a close friend, in which case perhaps you can agree to disagree. She is likely not going to change her mind.
"Vegan bacon" is somewhat ambiguous--it could mean bacon from vegan pigs. (cue groan)

Not a "friend" of mine. She's a VeggieBoards Facebook fan. I've got pals who don't agree with my diet choices but none this far out there. 

Glad to see that folks here don't share her views though. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#24 Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 AM

too much of anything can be bad for you, so eating vegan bacon, or whatever fake meats you choose are healthier for you in my opionion, as long as you dont over do it..I personaly eat fruits and greens all day but enjoy a nice gardn burger and fries and some silk chocalate milk yummy :) now and then.  Love veggie stir fry though and sometimes put a couple a VEGAN CRISPY ChkN in it!!

#25 Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 AM

also I want to add that it aint the taste of real meat I dont like because I actually love it, its the health problems it causes and damage to the planet and animals that bother me.  Honestly though I am more looking out for my own health and if that also helps the planet and animals then BONUS!  btw real burgers, chickens, pork would be crap without the veggies you add to it.  who just eats a plane burger or chicken without something added on, spices or whatever to make it actually taste better.  I mean really chicken wouldnt even be chicken without being cooked and ate without lettuce and tomatos hince a vegan chikn = yummy in my mouth ;)

#26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:52 PM

As someone who avoids meat and dairy partially for health reasons (as well as animal rights reasons), I just wanted to say let's not go lumping "health vegans" together as acting ridiculous like this. I'm not really sure what getting upset over vegan bacon being called bacon has anything to do with health so I don't really get why it's assumed this is a "health vegan"? 

Sure from a health perspective, the less processed food the better, but again, that has absolutely nothing to do with what the food is called. I eat mock meats on occasion, and certainly don't see the problem with using phrases like "mock meat, vegan bacon, veggie burger, cheese substitute," etc.

#27 Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post

As someone who avoids meat and dairy partially for health reasons (as well as animal rights reasons), I just wanted to say let's not go lumping "health vegans" together as acting ridiculous like this. I'm not really sure what getting upset over vegan bacon being called bacon has anything to do with health so I don't really get why it's assumed this is a "health vegan"? 

Yeah, she sounds more like an "idealistic" vegan than a health vegan. Her point seemed to be that all vegans must be creative and eat entirely differently than anyone else. Or, from what I can gather, she assumes all vegans hate the taste of meat - as if taste buds, not actions dictates animal cruelty or something. Her points were odd. But she didn't seem to have a super health slant. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#28 Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

As long as a product has been designed to be similar to a meat product in appearance, advertisement and taste, calling it some other name is possible but seems kind of silly and disingenuous.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#29 Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not a "friend" of mine. She's a VeggieBoards Facebook fan. I've got pals who don't agree with my diet choices but none this far out there.  

In that case I would ignore her. It's silly enough when omnivores say, "I just can't understand why you won't eat meat, but you eat all those fake meats" but at least they have the excuse of ignorance. I have no patience for vegetarians making such a ridiculous and harmful argument.
#30 Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:

Yeah, she sounds more like an "idealistic" vegan than a health vegan. Her point seemed to be that all vegans must be creative and eat entirely differently than anyone else. Or, from what I can gather, she assumes all vegans hate the taste of meat - as if taste buds, not actions dictates animal cruelty or something. Her points were odd. But she didn't seem to have a super health slant. 

Pshhh, creative? if i could just live off Radical Rubens from Chicago Diner, I'd do it. But they're too expensive to live off, lol..

That makes sense, I just could not imagine someone who went vegan for ethical reasons say that you should eat real meat over mock.

All we are is dust in the wind

Tags
meat-alternatives , Meatless-Meals-for-Working-People-Quick-and-Easy-Vegetarian-Recipes , vegan-food , vegetarian-food , vegetarian-books

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page