New vegan! (finally) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Beginner

I've been making rubbish excuses to myself for ages now about slowly transitioning from vegetarian to vegan, wanting to see a dietician first etc. etc. all the while eating dairy and having terrible guilt because I know it's wrong.

I've finally taken the plunge and made the change! I'm on day three so far and feeling amazing.

My ever loving family are surprised that I haven't immediately turned pale (well, paler) and grown dread locks, but have been mostly supportive which is nice.

I signed up for the 30 day pledge on the Vegan Society website (this is a choice for life though, not just for 30 days), and have a mentor, a lovely lady called Mary who also lives in Hertfordshire. It's really comforting having that line of support should I need it, to answer questions and possibly listen to me moan about how I am going to cope without cheese.

I would definitely recommend getting a mentor if you're going vegan, they team you up with someone who lives close to you, which is great for advice on eating out etc. and Mary was telling me about a vegans in Hertfordshire group who meet up one a month, which would be great as I don't know any other vegans.

It's all going well so far, I have found meals easy to plan and make and am surprised how many of the things I ate as a vegetarian are vegan anyway. Lunches at work are slightly more difficult so if anyone knows of easy/quick lunch idea's please let me know.

If anyone has any top tips for a new vegan that would be great!

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats Heather Louise!! :)

As for quick lunch ideas, I often make a large amount of brown rice on sunday night to keep in the fridge. I take 1-2 cups of the rice every morning and pour a can of vegan soup (lentil, vegetable, minestrone, black bean, etc. Amy's brand has a lot of good ones) over it in a tupperware. Quick zap in the microwave and its done! (Though I like to eat at room temperature :))

Otherwise, lately, with it being summer and all, I've been doing lunches of fruit! I brought half a watermelon and just scooped it out with a spoon like eating out of a bowl. Today is a bunch of bananas and apples. It's such an easy lunch to bing because there's no prep whatsoever, nor any cleanup, nor any utensils/plates or whatever needed!

Otherwise, do you work in an office where there's a toaster? Keep a loaf of bread and a jar of PB at your desk.

#3 Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Congratulations to you :) I Know you will keep with it.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Zelda Freak

That's awesome. I'm trying to transition from vegetarian too. I haven't eaten eggs for um, 7 or 8 days and I haven't eaten dairy for about three or four. Milk and other dairy plus most cheese is not an issue for me, but I have always liked melted cheese on stuff. Anyhow, I got some daiya cheese that folks recommended in another thread and tried that. It was pretty decent.

Actually, to be honest, I thought it smelled terrible - VERY cheesy. If you really like cheese it would be a good fit. I really only liked mild melted cheddar before so the smell seriously bugged me, but once melted it mellowed way out, the powerful cheese smell went away, and it became more like mild cheese. I'm going to try the mozzarella tonight on homemade pizza. 

Where's the challenge on the vegan society website? I looked and didn't see it. Do you have a link? I've been looking for a challenge that's free. I should just start a new one here at VB

I'm new at this so not many tips to share, but I'm reading Main Street Vegan right now, and I really like it. It's not preachy at all like some other vegan books I've read and has some great tips. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#5 Old 07-28-2012, 03:31 PM

yes Jennifer C!

Please do start a challenge, as I too am just getting started eliminating milk products

and could use the commadry.

I came here to learn.

PLEASE be nice!

#6 Old 07-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny7777 View Post

yes Jennifer C!

Please do start a challenge, as I too am just getting started eliminating milk products

and could use the commadry.

Done :) 

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/136762/new-vegan-support-and-challenge-to-go-vegan

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#7 Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 AM

I've recently decided to go vegan, too. I absolutely LOVE cheese and kept telling myself that I'd slowly cut it out of my diet. But dairy has addictive properties, and the slow weaning just wasn't working for me. So I've decided to just quit cold turkey now. So far so good!

"Not eating sugar takes discipline. Being vegan takes values." - Gary Smith

#8 Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Ankle Biter

I would guess that most of us have things we think we won't be able to live without. For those of you who love eggs, you absolutely must try to get your hands on some black salt. It makes tofu scramble, tofu quiches and eggless egg salad taste like they are made from eggs - honestly! It's an amazing taste! That I could still have "egg" salad made going vegan feel so much less like a sacrifice.

Cheese is hard, too. I would strongly suggest that you try to give yourselves a week or so completely cheese-free before you try to use the substitutes. While they are good, they are not exact replicas, and if you expect them to taste exactly like cheese, you may be disappointed. Once you have been completely dairy-free for a while, you will find that real dairy smells funny and that it has a weird aftertaste. So dairy becomes a while lot less appealing the longer you avoid it - seriously. Good luck everyone!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 07-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I would guess that most of us have things we think we won't be able to live without. For those of you who love eggs, you absolutely must try to get your hands on some black salt. It makes tofu scramble, tofu quiches and eggless egg salad taste like they are made from eggs - honestly! It's an amazing taste! That I could still have "egg" salad made going vegan feel so much less like a sacrifice.
Cheese is hard, too. I would strongly suggest that you try to give yourselves a week or so completely cheese-free before you try to use the substitutes. While they are good, they are not exact replicas, and if you expect them to taste exactly like cheese, you may be disappointed. Once you have been completely dairy-free for a while, you will find that real dairy smells funny and that it has a weird aftertaste. So dairy becomes a while lot less appealing the longer you avoid it - seriously. Good luck everyone!

I've never heard of black salt - thanks for the tip. 

I agree about the cheese. Plus, I think it also depends on your mindset. In my mid 20s, when I tried to go vegan before I remember really wanting cheese. But back then, I went vegan mainly because I'd already been vegetarian for so long it seemed like a logical next step. That didn't work.

This time, I'm dead set against supporting the dairy industry as a personal consumer (for various reasons) and I'd like my diet to be overall healthier (my current reasons for skipping dairy), and my cheese cravings have been really different this time around. I haven't really been as bothered by not eating cheese now as I was before. I think if you think about the actual grossness of the cheese industry vs. going vegan just because, it's helpful. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#10 Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Congratulations to you :) I Know you will keep with it.

Thank you 4everaspirit.  I definitely will! grin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Congrats Heather Louise!! :)

As for quick lunch ideas, I often make a large amount of brown rice on sunday night to keep in the fridge. I take 1-2 cups of the rice every morning and pour a can of vegan soup (lentil, vegetable, minestrone, black bean, etc. Amy's brand has a lot of good ones) over it in a tupperware. Quick zap in the microwave and its done! (Though I like to eat at room temperature :))

Otherwise, lately, with it being summer and all, I've been doing lunches of fruit! I brought half a watermelon and just scooped it out with a spoon like eating out of a bowl. Today is a bunch of bananas and apples. It's such an easy lunch to bing because there's no prep whatsoever, nor any cleanup, nor any utensils/plates or whatever needed!

Otherwise, do you work in an office where there's a toaster? Keep a loaf of bread and a jar of PB at your desk.

Thank you azerea_02.   Yes, I always have the intention of making a bulk load of rice/pasta for lunch in the evenings then decide cuddling my dog Scooby is far more appealing. I really need to stop being a lazy moo and just do it!

Mmm sounds yummy, watermelon is perfect on a warm day.

Yes I do work in an office, took your advice and I'm munching PB on toast as we speak :)

Thanks for the idea's smiley.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

That's awesome. I'm trying to transition from vegetarian too. I haven't eaten eggs for um, 7 or 8 days and I haven't eaten dairy for about three or four. Milk and other dairy plus most cheese is not an issue for me, but I have always liked melted cheese on stuff. Anyhow, I got some daiya cheese that folks recommended in another thread and tried that. It was pretty decent.

Actually, to be honest, I thought it smelled terrible - VERY cheesy. If you really like cheese it would be a good fit. I really only liked mild melted cheddar before so the smell seriously bugged me, but once melted it mellowed way out, the powerful cheese smell went away, and it became more like mild cheese. I'm going to try the mozzarella tonight on homemade pizza. 

Where's the challenge on the vegan society website? I looked and didn't see it. Do you have a link? I've been looking for a challenge that's free. I should just start a new one here at VB

I'm new at this so not many tips to share, but I'm reading Main Street Vegan right now, and I really like it. It's not preachy at all like some other vegan books I've read and has some great tips. 

Hi Jennifer

Oh, we're vegan newbee's together then!

Well done, how's it going now? Your post was a couple of days ago I think.

The link for the vegan 30 day challenge with a mentor is: http://www.vegansociety.com/veganpledge/

This is for anywhere in the world, not just the UK, and is great. Please note that the site was having problems when I signed up, if you get an error message when submitting your form, it may have gone through anyway. And check your junk mail in your emails, as that's where the email from them went straight to on my hotmail account.

I've heard great reviews about Daiya, unfortunately I can't get hold on any in the UK (I don't think anyway, if I'm incorrect let me know!!)

Good luck with your veganism x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Hi Poppy

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely be looking up black salt. I was never a huge egg eater before anyway but do crave scrambled egg every now and then.

I agree about the cheeses and not trying them straight away, I think I will expect too much. I am going to investigate what one's available in the UK are meant to be the best, then after a week or two more of not having any dairy I will give them a go.

Thank you grin.gif

Also, good luck to everyone else who has commented and is giving veganism a go. We can do it!!! Keep me posted on how it's going for you grin.gif

#11 Old 07-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Louise View Post

I would definitely recommend getting a mentor if you're going vegan, they team you up with someone who lives close to you, which is great for advice on eating out etc. and Mary was telling me about a vegans in Hertfordshire group who meet up one a month, which would be great as I don't know any other vegans.

I met some of the vegans from that part of the country a few years ago at a meet-up and they are really nice.

#12 Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I met some of the vegans from that part of the country a few years ago at a meet-up and they are really nice.

Oh brilliant, thanks for letting me know smiley.gif

I've said to my mentor, Mary, to let me know next time they have an open event as I would love to meet other vegans.

#13 Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Louise View Post

Hi Jennifer

Oh, we're vegan newbee's together then!

Well done, how's it going now? Your post was a couple of days ago I think.

The link for the vegan 30 day challenge with a mentor is: http://www.vegansociety.com/veganpledge/

This is for anywhere in the world, not just the UK, and is great. Please note that the site was having problems when I signed up, if you get an error message when submitting your form, it may have gone through anyway. And check your junk mail in your emails, as that's where the email from them went straight to on my hotmail account.

It's going fine actually. It's not a huge stretch for me to stop eating a few more things - so far anyhow.

I'll check out the link - but I also made a newbie support and challenge thread here - https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/newestpost/136762. So, right now, I'll likely be seeing if others join this one. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#14 Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

It's going fine actually. It's not a huge stretch for me to stop eating a few more things - so far anyhow.

I'll check out the link - but I also made a newbie support and challenge thread here - https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/newestpost/136762. So, right now, I'll likely be seeing if others join this one. 

That's good.

I'm finding it a lot easier than I thought, it's just hastle at the beginning working out what I can/can't have. I'm sure it will become second nature after a while knowing what products have what ingredients in etc.

Oh cool, thanks, I will check the threat out smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page