What does NOT grind my gears. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

~Well since I have been assulted on this site for bringing to light the half vegetarians on this site. Not saying all, but the few know who they are.

i am only attacked by those that fit the description.

They remind me of an episode i saw of Seinfeld.  There was  guy who became a Jew just so he could make jokes about them.  SO i would say that a halfatarian, or a fake veggie...is someone who acts like they are a vegetarian so that they can get one cool websites and bash people who think a vegetarian is someone who eat a plant based diet.  And they sit there an eat eggs, since they are addicted to the food...and laugh about the squabble.  You get both worlds...you dont eat red meat...and you eat meat...convenient for you.

Now I see why most people on this site just read, and dont reply.  Our of fear of being attacked. 

Someone says that they dont like it when someone uses a hollow defenition of what one is...and then BOOOOOOOOM!!! Missles and bullets of hatred galore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you'd be happier if you focused on YOUR life and what YOU do as opposed to what others do.  Just sayin.

#3 Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I am focused on my life...hence my comments on this site.  I am a veggatarian activist.  And you have to reach people to get the "TRUE" meaning and message out.

SO thank you, but no need to do what has and is being done.  Maybe you would be happier at KFC?

See?  Not nice..whack.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh...okay.  lol

#5 Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Eggs aren't meat though. it's a chicken's period. It's vegetarian, just not vegan..

All we are is dust in the wind
#6 Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

no eggs and dairy are not on the plate of an actual vegetarian.  Maybe a lacto vegetarian, or an ovo vegetarian, or even a pescitarian.

Vegetarian...means plant based.  Hence the pre fix of the word...and eggs are meat.  Just not completely formed meat.  just like an embryo is a baby.

#7 Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM
adapt. evolve. become

But there is no living being in the egg until it is fertilized. I wouldn't considered factory farm eggs ethical, but its not meat either. I'm curious, what about honey eaters? Are they non vegetarians as well?

#8 Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I think it would help if you didn't think so negatively of all vegetarians. Many of them just don't know of the cruelty behind eggs or dairy. I think they would respond better to someone not condescending to them, and simply explaining the problems of egg and dairy with them. I can guarantee you the kind of attitude I feel you are displaying toward vegetarians will put more people off to veganism than bring in. It's just human behavior. We don't like to be told we are wrong by someone who likes to think they are so-so right, if you know what I mean. This is just a friendly note, don't take it too personally, but please try to understand it.

Definitions are what the majority of people make them to be. I have seen plenty of vegetarian definitions that also include the use of eggs and dairy, but that's not the point. The point is that it's been noted in society that most vegetarians do consume eggs or dairy therefore that's been the common definition of it. I don't think it's appropriate to be calling out vegetarians for consuming eggs and dairy when those are generally known as being acceptable and are used in many vegetarians dishes. We can argue about online definitions all day, but I don't plan to. The simple fact that every vegetarian I have met has eaten eggs or dairy is proof enough that there is a general definition of it determined already by society.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#9 Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

4evaspirit.

That was the type of reply I have been waiting for.  Someone who actually displays common courtesy...even in the face of someone being a di*khead.

Thank you.

That being said.  I agree completely.  I have been torn down by this site over the past two days by MY inability to just let it go.  I, along with my doctor, agree that a vegetarian diet is just that.  a vegetable tarian.  So if the true defenition is not that, or if the true meaning is not the same to all people, then I digress.

yes.gif

#10 Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganic One View Post

4evaspirit.

That was the type of reply I have been waiting for.  Someone who actually displays common courtesy...even in the face of someone being a di*khead.

Thank you.

That being said.  I agree completely.  I have been torn down by this site over the past two days by MY inability to just let it go.  I, along with my doctor, agree that a vegetarian diet is just that.  a vegetable tarian.  So if the true defenition is not that, or if the true meaning is not the same to all people, then I digress.

yes.gif

Oh okay ^^ Glad I could soothe things over I suppose. :)

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#11 Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Riot Nrrrd

We know the group that coined the word 'vegetarian' (mid-1830s or so, we have no idea the individual who first used it, but we know the group). They used it to refer to the diet they followed, which did not use flesh, fish, fowl, eggs or milk.

In 1846 this group organized an conference to organize a society to promote 'vegetable diets' generally and invited other interested parties to participate - the most notable being the Bible Christian Church, which sent one representative. Most variations of the 'vegetable diet' - including that followed by the BCC - did make use of eggs and dairy. The conference resolved to meet again in several months' time to actually form the society.

In 1847 the Concordists (the cats that coined the word 'vegetarian'), a contingent of BCC members, and possibly individuals associated with neither group (I haven't sussed that out yet) met at Ramsgate to work out the nuts and bolts of the society.

But what to call it? The word the Concordists had been using for the previous decade was to everyone's liking, so with a unanimous vote the name 'Vegetarian Society' was chosen.

I skipped ahead a little there. I haven't mentioned the nature of the diet they advocated. Certainly some variation of the 'vegetable diet', but with two possible variants, which to chose? They didn't choose one over the other. The society adopted the definition still used today - a diet without flesh, fish, or fowl and with or without eggs and milk.

The folks who used 'vegetarian' to mean plants with no eggs and no milk expanded the definition of their own word to include eggs and milk - as optional.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#12 Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

Obviously definitions change over time.

Ie. Take a look into history. What once was called "punishment" is now called murder.

If one killed a member of your family, as a punishment you would personally kill a member of theirs.

#13 Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I think it would help if you didn't think so negatively of all vegetarians. Many of them just don't know of the cruelty behind eggs or dairy. I think they would respond better to someone not condescending to them, and simply explaining the problems of egg and dairy with them. I can guarantee you the kind of attitude I feel you are displaying toward vegetarians will put more people off to veganism than bring in. It's just human behavior. We don't like to be told we are wrong by someone who likes to think they are so-so right, if you know what I mean. This is just a friendly note, don't take it too personally, but please try to understand it.

Definitions are what the majority of people make them to be. I have seen plenty of vegetarian definitions that also include the use of eggs and dairy, but that's not the point. The point is that it's been noted in society that most vegetarians do consume eggs or dairy therefore that's been the common definition of it. I don't think it's appropriate to be calling out vegetarians for consuming eggs and dairy when those are generally known as being acceptable and are used in many vegetarians dishes. We can argue about online definitions all day, but I don't plan to. The simple fact that every vegetarian I have met has eaten eggs or dairy is proof enough that there is a general definition of it determined already by society.Tha

Thanks for this reply.

As a lacto-ovo vegetarian I do consider myself lacto-ovo vegetarian, not vegan - just yet. 

I came here to learn.

PLEASE be nice!

#14 Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand why you created a second thread to talk about something that happened in another thread, essentially creating two threads about the same thing. Also, the title of this new thread has no relation to its content.

#15 Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

P.S. I'm pretty sure many of the people who disagreed with you in the last thread were vegans. Not everyone was trying to justify their own lacto-ovo eating habits. All of our argument was about the most commonly accepted definition of vegetarian, not which industries are or are not cruel. 

#16 Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 AM

Yes, and I say this with love: you're sort of preaching to the choir here.  I think there is no argument that this board was created for vegans and vegetarians, all with their own reasons for finding this path; luckily whatever any member's reasons for finding this way of life, it has the desired effect of reducing suffering.

It is hard to let it go, but as you wrote, it is only tearing you down and therefore, you are suffering.  So instead of insisting on others agreeing to your definition, and in effect beating your own head against a brick wall, why not help others who have not found the path to veg*nism?  I think everyone here is a member on this forum because they are on the correct path for them.  It takes some people longer than others, but all are attempting what, for them, is a journey to their desired destination.

You responded to 4everaspirit's post, which was posted with respect and kindness.  And I understand that you want people to conform to your definition of vegetarianism, but as others have pointed out to you, the definition was provided to you.  From the Society itself.  Insisting that a definition is not a definition based on your own beliefs does not change the definition for everyone. If you try to do that, you yourself will suffer.

I love that commercial: there's a girl who insists that all the "facts" she is spouting is true because she read it on the internet.  Then her date walks up - let's just say he is not the French stud he portrayed himself - and she completely overlooks the fact that he is not French and he is not the French stud he claims to be because they "met on the internet." It's a pretty telling commercial.

Offending and isolating others trying to find the path does not really help people find their paths - and I'm not necessarily referring to you, I am speaking in generalities.  I have learned this in my own life.  There is a lot of great information on this forum, so learn from people who have been veg*ns for a VERY VERY long time.  That is what I do.

#17 Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

*spell check*

just saying...

#18 Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Seriously, another thread about this? YAWN

I'm not seeing the list off things that don't piss you off?

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#19 Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Eggs are not vegetarian, nor is dairy. They are "flexitarian." Vegetarian means exactly what it means--one who eats foods of vegetable origin, and nothing else. Once you begin adding prefixes like pollo, ovo, lacto, pesca, bubula (that's latin for beef, in case you were wondering), porc, etc. then anyone can call themselves a vegetarian. Then the whole world is vegetarian. There is as much animal exploitation involved in dairy and egg production as there is in the production of other animal foods. Thus, all animal foods are unethical in the modern world. (insert preferred animal foods)-vegetarian is flexitarian. Go vegan.

#20 Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post

Eggs are not vegetarian, nor is dairy. They are "flexitarian." Vegetarian means exactly what it means--one who eats foods of vegetable origin, and nothing else. Once you begin adding prefixes like pollo, ovo, lacto, pesca, bubula (that's latin for beef, in case you were wondering), porc, etc. then anyone can call themselves a vegetarian. Then the whole world is vegetarian. There is as much animal exploitation involved in dairy and egg production as there is in the production of other animal foods. Thus, all animal foods are unethical in the modern world. (insert preferred animal foods)-vegetarian is flexitarian. Go vegan.
only "vegetable origin". so no grains, fruit, or nuts either?
#21 Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

P.S. I'm pretty sure many of the people who disagreed with you in the last thread were vegans. Not everyone was trying to justify their own lacto-ovo eating habits. All of our argument was about the most commonly accepted definition of vegetarian, not which industries are or are not cruel. 

I agree that the industry is cruel, but I don't agree that eggs are alive (before they're fertilized) and should be considered as meat. Or that dairy is meat.. or honey o_o;;

I'm still trying to stay vegan (no milk or eggs in the last 2 months) I wouldn't try to justify eating dairy/eggs. It's cruel, but not meat.

#22 Old 07-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

What doesn't grind my gears-in fact it keeps them spinning freely-are all the lovely vegans on this forum!

The ones who have the foresight, inner peace, and patience, to relate to others who have yet to embark on the joyous journey of being vegan.

Many have started their journey with the simple promise to never again eat the flesh of a sentient being. Many have continued to consume eggs and/or dairy as transition foods, eating less as they became more knowable of dietary needs, and tastes.

These vegans realize reform doesn't come from hating the only ones who can affect change. They know the cause of AR is only accomplished by having others understand. To support those willing to affect change by changing their diet, and lifestyle, is more important to animals than admonishing them for not doing enough, and possibly shutting off any willingness to change at all.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#23 Old 07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

What doesn't grind my gears-in fact it keeps them spinning freely-are all the lovely vegans on this forum!

The ones who have the foresight, inner peace, and patience, to relate to others who have yet to embark on the joyous journey of being vegan.

Many have started their journey with the simple promise to never again eat the flesh of a sentient being. Many have continued to consume eggs and/or dairy as transition foods, eating less as they became more knowable of dietary needs, and tastes.

These vegans realize reform doesn't come from hating the only ones who can affect change. They know the cause of AR is only accomplished by having others understand. To support those willing to affect change by changing their diet, and lifestyle, is more important to animals than admonishing them for not doing enough, and possibly shutting off any willingness to change at all.

+1 Nicely written =3

#24 Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't call myself a Vegetarian.  Does that mean I need to leave this site?  I don't eat meat, chicken, fish, dairy or eggs, but since I don't label myself do I need to leave?  I love this site for all the great information that I get.  I have learned so much about food as well as just a lot of practices in farming animals that I did not know about.  I love the factual information and enjoy hearing about all of the positive affects a plant based diet has had on everyone.  I am not really into the elitist label snobs on this site, but it's all good.  I can choose not to read a post and I can choose not to reply to one.  So, what does not grind my gears is all of the great information I get about food.  I love hearing about different receipes and different health benefits of food.

#25 Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Eggs are not vegetarian, nor is dairy.

I already posted on the history of the word 'vegetarian' in this thread. Which explains HOW eggs and dairy came to be considered vegetarian and how this decision involved the people who coined 'vegetarian' in the first place.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#26 Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

only "vegetable origin". so no grains, fruit, or nuts either?

Huh?  Last time I checked, grains, fruit and nuts came from plants, not animals, fungi, etc.

vegetable (n.) Look up vegetable at Dictionary.com
mid-15c., originally any plant, from vegetable (adj.); specific sense of "plant cultivated for food, edible herb or root" is first recorded 1767. Slang shortening veggie first recorded 1955. The O.E. word was wyrte. Meaning "person who leads a monotonous life" is recorded from 1921. The commonest source of words for vegetables in IE languages are derivatives of words for "green" or "growing" (cf. It., Sp. verdura, Ir. glasraidh, Dan. grøntsager). For a different association, cf. Gk. lakhana, related to lakhaino "to dig."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page