Is it just me? (vegan vs losing weight?) *trigger alert* - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

I'm a tiny girl. 

Whenever I tell someone I'm underweight, they always use the "its because youre vegan. eat some meat, you need it on your bones!!"

Does anyone else get annoyed by this? huh.gif

eta:  edited by Poppy to avoid possible ed triggers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

*if* I had such a problem (I haven't since the mid 80's) I might be inclined to say something like :

"You're stupid. it's from meat fat choking off your brain cells. eat less meat !"

#3 Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I've gotten it once or twice, and it is very annoying. 

I try to pretend they're like a little kid, speaking out because they don't know any better. Politely reminding someone (with a smile on your face) that it's rude to comment on other peoples' weight tends to do the trick. Nobody wants to be called rude outright, especially in public. 

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I get this. I have another medical illness that occasionally causes me to lose weight... and people always try to blame it on the Veganism. Its damn annoying. I was this weight before I was Vegan. I have to work quite hard to keep my weight up as a Vegan, and so I get frustrated when people tell me how skinny I am!

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#5 Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Vegetarian

You are pretty light, aren't you? I'm 5'8" and 120. But this has been a very consistent weight, well before I went vegan or even vegetarian. It's annoying, but you can always make snide comments about the obesity that meat causes.

#6 Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 AM

I wish I had that problem.  I'm trying to lose weight. notworthy.gif

#7 Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM
The prowling wolf

Me too ;) I'm 5.7 and I weigh 200 lbs. I lost 30 lbs already though since going vegetarian :)

I get the same thing, just the other way around ''Ýou should eat meat, then you'd lose weight! CARBS R BAD U KNOW''  ;)

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#8 Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

Me too wink3.gif I'm 5.7 and I weigh 200 lbs. I lost 30 lbs already though since going vegetarian smiley.gif

I get the same thing, just the other way around ''Ýou should eat meat, then you'd lose weight! CARBS R BAD U KNOW''  wink3.gif

Hahaha! People are so funny, apparently meat is the cure for EVERYTHING.

Need to gain weight? It's because you don't eat meat! Need to lose weight? It's because you don't eat meat! Have a slight cold? You need meat! Feeling perfectly healthy? Just wait, you're going to get sick and then you'll need meat! tongue3.gif

Funny how they never apply that logic to themselves, there are so many overweight/underweight/unhealthy in various ways omnis and they never seem to wonder why eating bacon hasn't fixed all their problems. wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned

I get "Oh you are a vegan!? Thats why you look anorexic you need Protein".

& when that happens the ***** comes out in me and I give probably accidently vegans a bad name. woops.

#10 Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

Bahahahaa ^

You and me both.

Meat isn't going to make you fat, but it ain't gonna make you skinny either.

People are stupid.

#11 Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

16 is a dangerously low BMI. As you have a history of an eating disorder and have posted in another thread that you are "OCD about counting calories," you should seek professional help. I did report this thread to the moderators, but nothing has been done yet. I find it especially disturbing that you are triggering others with eating disorders here on VB.
#12 Old 07-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Some people are just slight and have a hard time keeping weight on. My brother has to put in a lot of effort to mantain a healthy weight. If he eats a normal amount he drops to 114 at 5'11. He's a 22 year old male! Then you have me... I can look at pastries and feel myself growing. Have you talked to a dietician about it? You may be totally healthy or you may need to put on some lbs but it never hurts to go talk to a profesisonal who supports your vegan lifestyle. It's hard to say over the internet but I know that my brother has happily put on some mass the last few months and is really benefiting from it.

#13 Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Hahaha! People are so funny, apparently meat is the cure for EVERYTHING.
Need to gain weight? It's because you don't eat meat! Need to lose weight? It's because you don't eat meat! Have a slight cold? You need meat! Feeling perfectly healthy? Just wait, you're going to get sick and then you'll need meat! tongue3.gif
Funny how they never apply that logic to themselves, there are so many overweight/underweight/unhealthy in various ways omnis and they never seem to wonder why eating bacon hasn't fixed all their problems. wink3.gif

Yeah I actually find it quite funny as well :) It just shows how flawed their logic is :)

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#14 Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Eh ... I'm 5'8 and I weigh 116 pounds (53 kg sorry I've had to convert that to pounds and I'm not sure it's right).  I've weighed less while eating meat, I've weighed more while eating meat and I've weighed more while eating veg.  Meat is not the answer to weight gain.   Cake is the answer to weight gain .... mmmmmm cake.

People have always felt very happy to comment on what I might weigh and what I might be doing to stay thin ... and I used to really worry about it.

I used to become really defensive about it and now I just don't care that much any more.  This is what I look like, I eat, I exercise and I have all my own teeth.  

#15 Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Ankle Biter

MOD POST - I removed the height and weight numbers from the first post as it was posing difficulty for other members. Please try to remember to keep all personal numbers out of VB threads. Thank you.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#16 Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Beginner

Some people just have a smaller frame and are naturally thin looking. I'm vegan and i'm not skin&bones at all. Meat eaters just like to find things to blame veganism for.

#17 Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I lost weight when going vegan but only because I was paying more attention to what I was eating and making sure I was getting all my vitamins/nutrients etc etc. Now I've discovered taht apparently eating mostly fruit makes my acne go away! YAY YAY YAY!

Nobody comments on my weight (except for my painfully honest brother lol). I'm kinda chubby so it would be rude of them! Thankfully I don't have many rude people in my life!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page