VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Vancouver-made Daiya wedges take vegan cheese to next level (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/136196-vancouver-made-daiya-wedges-take-vegan-cheese-next-level.html)

Werewolf Girl 06-25-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:
Daiya Foods took the vegan food scene by storm in 2009 when it came out with its dairy-free cheese shreds. Founded by Andre Kroecher and Greg Blake, the Vancouver company had succeeded in producing a line of vegan cheese that looks, tastes, and melts much like cow’s cheese, without the nasty animal ingredients. Plus, no soy! Daiya makes its cheese from cassava.

These days, Daiya has vegans buzzing with its new wedges. These highly anticipated products hit the U.S. in April, but have only recently begun showing up in stores around Vancouver. While the shreds are available in cheddar, mozzarella, and pepperjack flavours, the wedges come in cheddar, jack, and jalapeno garlic havarti styles.

I found Daiya’s wedges selling for $5.29 each at Greens Organic + Natural Market (1978 West Broadway), but they’re also available at Drive Organics (1045 Commercial Drive) and Karmavore Vegan Shop (610 Columbia Street, New Westminster). According to the packaging, the wedges are free of gluten, cholesterol, and trans fat. Ingredients include tapioca flour, palm fruit oil, canola and/or safflower oil, pea protein, and coconut oil.

Over the weekend, I tried the jack and jalapeno garlic havarti varieties on crackers, inside pita, and on their own. The wedges come in a somewhat-resealable plastic container. What’s inside is a soft cheese that can be sliced or spread and has a taste reminiscent of foil-wrapped processed Gruyère wedges. But perhaps the best thing about Daiya’s wedges is they don’t have to be melted to be truly enjoyed, unlike the shreds. Both types of wedges I tried were delicious, with the havarti having a nice spice and the jack’s flavour being intensified by melting.

What’s next for Daiya? I’m hoping for vegan Swiss cheese slices.

I'm really excited about this article in my local paper and I'm excited to try some of these wedges! Especially the havarti drool.gif

However, it's SO ridiculous that they make Daiya right here in my city and we're the last people to get it. What is up with that? dizzy2.gif

Poppy 06-25-2012 05:48 PM

I've been ordering the Monterey Jack from veganessentials for some time.  It just showed up at our Whole Foods, and I'm so giddy.  It's wonderful!  It makes a real, melty grilled cheese sandwich. grin.gif

Werewolf Girl 06-25-2012 05:56 PM

I really want to try the havarti, that used to be my favourite kind of cheese! The reviews sound really promising lick.gif

Werewolf Girl 06-26-2012 09:47 PM

UPDATE: I just tried my first bite of jalapeno havarti and OH... MY.... GAWD... drool.gif

I almost got a little shock when I tasted it, I think I had really low expectations and I cannot believe just how close the real thing it is! There's a slight 'Daiya' taste difference but it's barely noticeable.

This stuff is super creamy and spreadable and it even has a cheesy bite to it, whaaaaaat! Seriously, if they have the wedges in your area get them NOW. I need to run out and buy the other flavours to compare them. smitten.gif

Windigo 06-27-2012 12:23 AM

There's no Daiya in my country, nor in a nearby country. FML bigcry.gif

rockette79 06-27-2012 09:52 AM

I had the cheddar a few weeks ago.  I thought it was pretty good.  I will have to try the other flavors, but the only store that carries it is in another town.  

4everaspirit 06-27-2012 10:17 AM

Now they just need to make vegan string cheese and I'm set <3

Werewolf Girl 06-27-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

There's no Daiya in my country, nor in a nearby country. FML bigcry.gif

Aww, that sucks! You might be able to special order it if you're willing to pay the shipping costs tongue3.gif