Have you ever eaten meat/fish/eggs/dairy products without making it in purpose? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Beginner

Two days ago, my roommates made me tasted cabbage in a sauce with tomatoes. He stands me that it was only vegetables. But when I taste just a really little piece, I found the taste awful. the taste of something I hated and I have already eaten in the past. Then I checked the packaging in the fridge, and read that in the sauce there was anchovy! I felt so bad and disgusting.

I know I have eaten maybe only 0,5 gramms of the sauce but I feel guilty to not have checked the ingredients as I am used to do. I trusted my roommate. 

I wanted to know if it has already happened to you?

Hope it won't happen anymore for me. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, many times. Once I got some potato wedges from the store and there was a piece of fried chicken in it (they keep them under the heat lamps close together)...I didn't look before I unknowingly stuck it in my mouth.  spew.gif

#3 Old 06-24-2012, 09:23 AM

Yes, quite a few... my best friend who is also the biggest supporter of my veganism, wanted me to try to a veggie burger - said it was the best one she ever tasted. We looked at the ingredients and noticed that it had milk and eggs.  She wasn't trying to "turn me back to meat," she just didn't realize there were animal products in it.

Usually, people don't realize or just don't think about meat or animal products other than the obvious, like fried chicken or beef noodle soup.  I don't think or  hope that your roommate didn't mean anything sneaky by having you taste that - I think it was an innocent mistake that most people make.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Vegetarian

Yeah, I had a friend buy me some instant food that ended up having anchovies in it too. Thing is, they just aren't accustomed to reading ingredients like we are. It was probably just an honest mistake on his part, so don't hold it against him. I tend to be so untrusting when someone just hands me food that they have to coax me into it like I am a baby deer. But there is nothing you can do but just try your best. Little mistakes like that will happen from time to time. Just got to keep looking forward.

Also, Limes, that sounds horrible. 

#5 Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Beginner

yes, sure it was a innocent mistake from my roommates. It is just that I feel guilty now.

But me may have already eaten at least ones dairy products or others products derivated from animals without knowing that!!! 

now we always have to be careful! since we can find all sort of weird products everywhere. when you think that in some yogurt you have gelatin! or in non dairy cheese, you can find caseine! 

thank you for your answer I feel a little bit relieved.

#6 Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

LOL Yes, it happens. Someone brought a fruit dish for a party, innocent right? Well I thought so anyway, that was until I ate 2 plate fulls of the fruit and was told by the ladies who put it together after they found out that I was vegan, that it had honey it in. o__O They apologized and I said not to worry about it :P Not gonna kill me, but I didn't eat anymore.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#7 Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I made some s'mores a couple of times before I knew what gelatin was and that marshmallows had it in them. 

And I also ate some bread at Panera that I later found out had honey in it. 

I'm sure there have been other instances that I still don't even know about. But I am checking all the labels! 

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#8 Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

I made some s'mores a couple of times before I knew what gelatin was and that marshmallows had it in them. 

And I also ate some bread at Panera that I later found out had honey in it. 

I'm sure there have been other instances that I still don't even know about. But I am checking all the labels! 

I think panera's sour dough bread bowl is vegan, along with their black bean soup. :) Just saying, cuz they are awesome together. ^^

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#9 Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I think panera's sour dough bread bowl is vegan, along with their black bean soup. :) Just saying, cuz they are awesome together. ^^

I love the black bean soup. I always get it with Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich (no cheese of course), but I didn't know the tomato basil bread had honey. I'll get it on sourdough next time. smiley.gif

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#10 Old 06-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Beginner

I have been living for about 3 month in Toronto now, and I am stunned to find some whole wheat or even rye breads with honey in! I am not used to it. Honey in bread is very rare in France. So now I have to pay attention.

thank you for your answer it gives me confort. and I am not mad at my roommates because I know he asked me friendly to taste. He was also ignoring that enchovies are  fishes! so I don't eat them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page