The China Study - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 AM

Good morning

I have just purchased Dr. Campbell's book The China Study for my kindle and i am getting ready to dive into it when i find the time this week. I was wondering if anyone has read his book? If so, what did you think of it and how did you feel about Dr. Campbell's views and studies towards the vegan lifestyle? I believe this book will cover mostly health issues and studies about the vegan lifestyle but this is mostly the reason i have chosen this lifestyle, so it should be a good read. All opinions are welcomed

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

This book is on my wish list as I have already bought far too many books this month. I'm awaiting Kathy Freston's The Lean at the moment.

I have heard a lot of postive feedback on his study.
#3 Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

I'm awaiting Kathy Freston's The Lean at the moment.

What type of information is in this book?^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gransbury37 View Post

What type of information is in this book?^^

I haven't read it yet as I have just ordered it. However I really enjoyed reading on of Kathy's other books The Veganist.

You do have a few reviews of The Lean of the following link.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lean-Revol.../dp/1602861730
#5 Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM

It looks quite interesting! I may have to grab that after i finish up this one. Is there any other vegan books you have read that you have enjoyed? I'm always looking for a good read
#6 Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gransbury37 View Post

It looks quite interesting! I may have to grab that after i finish up this one. Is there any other vegan books you have read that you have enjoyed? I'm always looking for a good read

No, besides recipe books I have only read the above and Becoming Vegan.
#7 Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Oryzatarian

Yeah man, this is one I read in preparation for going veggie.
It has a good breadth and depth of info on the health implications of consuming more than a tiny bit of meat/dairy and an abundance of references to the supporting scientific data which was quite useful. It disappointed me how little hard data from the 'china study' was actually included and I found it slightly disconcerting when he used disease rates from those nearly vegetarian populations to support strict vegetarianism but his other referenced data helped compensate for that. He also didnt give much mind to B12, I think to keep from discouraging people, but given the rates of B12 deficiency and insufficiency in both veggie and omni communities the issue should have been given better mention.
Quite worth the read, especially for those who like following up health claims and rationale by reading scientific papers.
#8 Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

Yeah man, this is one I read in preparation for going veggie.
It has a good breadth and depth of info on the health implications of consuming more than a tiny bit of meat/dairy and an abundance of references to the supporting scientific data which was quite useful. It disappointed me how little hard data from the 'china study' was actually included and I found it slightly disconcerting when he used disease rates from those nearly vegetarian populations to support strict vegetarianism but his other referenced data helped compensate for that. He also didnt give much mind to B12, I think to keep from discouraging people, but given the rates of B12 deficiency and insufficiency in both veggie and omni communities the issue should have been given better mention.
Quite worth the read, especially for those who like following up health claims and rationale by reading scientific papers.

Thanks for the insight. I'll start reading it any day now and keep this thread updated with my thoughts and let everyone know how it's going. I would like to learn more about B12 though and it's too bad that he doesn't get more in depth on this subject seeing how it is so important to us.
#9 Old 10-12-2012, 04:31 AM

I thought I´ll just bump this thread rather than starting a new one...

I just got through "the China Study", and I found it pretty boring. I mean you can sum the book up in "Eat more veggies,less meat." Rest is pretty much an autobiography of the author. Disappointed.

#10 Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 AM

I think the China Study is probably the most comprehensive book regarding the health benefits of the Vegan diet. I currently do not have the book at the moment because I lent it to my brother. I hope am getting him into incorporate more plant foods in his diet :). The book is most certainly not an autobiography. The overwhelming majority of the book is scientific evidence from credible sources that are integrated to support his thesis that a whole foods plant based diet is the healthiest diet. You can't just say "eat more veggies and less meat" and be taken seriously in the scientific community.

Auxin, if you are interested in more of the actual data from the study, it is available. I believe it is conjured up in a book called the China Project. And he did mention B12 in the healthy eating guide part of the book.

Definitely worth a read for anyone who is interested in health. My only criticism would be his few paragraphs mentioning animal rights and his justification of his studies in animal research. Since I don't have the book in front with me at the moment i can't be verbatim, but he basically says that there was no other way to conduct such research without the use of animals. It is strange because his whole study and many of his references support the data from his animal research without using animals. Also, I believe people should be vegan mainly for ethical reasons concerning animals, the environment, and sustainability, not health.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

#11 Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought The China Study was really well researched, organized, convincing, and comprehensive. I devoured it and then ordered copies for friends and family members.

#12 Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 AM

It is a good read one I have read parts of and is on my list to get. last night I got to see Dr. Esselstyn speak and he signed my copy of his book for me,  We chatted briefly and was happy to hear my story on my improved health in only 3 months after seeing him and Dr. Cambell in Forks over knives. He is great speaker and his wives cooking and food tips were helpful.

I follow his advice on proper diet for the heart but it is Ultra vegan diet wise no oils, nuts seed of any kind....whew!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page