Vegan Diet Impacts California Prison - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Upon arrival, new inmates attended an orientation where they received two clear choices. They could live on one side of the prison which operated using the standard California Department of Corrections (CDC) guidelines and food menus; or, they could live on the side of the prison operated under the NEWSTART program which included a vegan diet, bible studies, job training and anger management.

In a video-taped interview obtained by Vegetarian Spotlight, Victor Valley nutrition services coordinator Julianne Aranda explains that what we eat not only affects us physically, but it affects our mental attitude, our aggressiveness and our ability to make good decisions. In interview after interview it was clear that the NEWSTART program staff was in agreement that the mind and body must be cleaned up in order for the inmates to achieve positive behavioral changes.

http://vegetarianspotlight.com/2011/...fornia-prison/

Very interesting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome!

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#3 Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

That's impressive

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 AM
Banned

Cool article!

Particularly cool that Moorlands saw a value in both bible studies and a vegan diet.

Just a wild guess, and purely for fun, I wouldnt mind betting that versions of that story with varying themes are to be found elsewhere ..

Meat Eaters Gazette: Vegan diet proven only usefull as cruel and unusual punishment for criminals.

Landover Baptists Weekly: God hates prisoners reformed by fag enablers diet.
#5 Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Very interesting article.

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
#6 Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

sounds decent except for the "bible studies" if they are mandatory or even "recommended" then they need to GTFO

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#7 Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

sounds decent except for the "bible studies" if they are mandatory or even "recommended" then they need to GTFO

Yea I love the idea except for bible studies, I think it should consist of studying ethics and morals rather than teaching an inmate that things are wrong because god said so.

"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant."
"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings."
-Helen Keller
#8 Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspence3 View Post

Yea I love the idea except for bible studies, I think it should consist of studying ethics and morals rather than teaching an inmate that things are wrong because god said so.

Agreed.
#9 Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

That sounds like a good scheme. The anger management is probably helping to transform the attitudes of the prisoners.
#10 Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

im also hoping the anger management is targeted to prisoners determined to need or want it rather than a universal requirement, im not a fan of forcing people into psychological therapy for no reason.

all in all the vegan meals are great and may also help save the state money (thats how to sell it to conservatives). Would love to see a sample menu.

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#11 Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

theres no doubt that what we eat affects us physically, but thinking that a vegan diet can fix the problem of aggression is kinda loopy to me. the behavioural therapy woulda done it.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#12 Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome!
#13 Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sad that the prison closed even though it was wildly successful. Less than 2% recidivism rate in a system where 95% is the norm? Wow! Interesting that 85% of inmates chose the side of the prison with the vegan diet and other programs vs the normal prison life.

ETA This vegan wants vegan food in prison and is being denied it. http://supportmanuel.com/2012/03/15/update-from-manuel/
#14 Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

GTFO indeed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page