11 Reasons To Stop Eating Dairy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/11-...ry.html?page=1

A good list. I stopped eating dairy products for ethical reasons but I was amazed by how much better I felt when I cut them out of my diet. Definitely less stomach and skin issues, and I'm less phlegmy

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Good read. Posted this to fb for all my dairy loving friends

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

They forgot the 12th reason:

It tastes and smells nasty.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

They forgot the 12th reason:

It tastes and smells nasty.

I wish they would've mentioned the pus and blood also. I think the first statement in #9 is a weak argument. "In one study on rabbits, scientist Richard Panush was able to PRODUCE inflamed joints in the animals by switching their water to milk"

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/11-...#ixzz1n6xcutKW

Comparing one small study on rabbits to humans isn't very convincing imo. Overall they make some good points though.
#5 Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone sent this to me today. All good reasons, but it seems like the author lost interest toward the end. The 11th reason has no explanation about what those pesticides do to us or studies that back up the statement. Odd.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#6 Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM

The hormones in the dairy got me to quit, I don't miss it and I love cheese. I have found great vegan options that help. I am also clear of sinus issues besides female troubles.
#7 Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh weird, I just made the point on another thread that I used to get a lot of sinus problems when I was l/o veggie. I started drinking a lot more dairy milk when I first moved in with my husband and my skin broke out too.
#8 Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM

I got tired of spending $$$ on sinus meds, once a week at least. I love almond milk and tofutti snacks, a treat for me. Daiya cheese is a godsend for this cheese lover. The hormones in the food were messing me up too, badly.
#9 Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Yes. Almond milk is delish.

The alternatives to most omni/veggie foods are pretty good, well at least in the UK. I find having too much soya makes me get sinus problems too for some reason so I try not to have too much of that either.
#10 Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Giving up dairy didn't help with my mucous issues. I'm still a semi-mouthbreather.
#11 Old 02-22-2012, 02:49 PM

Cornsail, you would be surprised what in vegetarian meals, dairy wise. I have to read labels to make sure dairy isn't in it. I work in fast food and I was shocked that our french fries and hash browns were meat fat coated. I feel for you.
#12 Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM

I know some folks have issues with soy. My hubby likes the soy milk as he has to watch his cholesterol so forth. I think Daiya isn't in England actually
#13 Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedgal70 View Post

Cornsail, you would be surprised what in vegetarian meals, dairy wise. I have to read labels to make sure dairy isn't in it. I work in fast food and I was shocked that our french fries and hash browns were meat fat coated. I feel for you.

I read labels and try to make sure my food is vegan when I eat out. I'm sure I don't catch everything though.
#14 Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedgal70 View Post

I know some folks have issues with soy. My hubby likes the soy milk as he has to watch his cholesterol so forth. I think Daiya isn't in England actually

No, we don't have Daiya. But we do have Vegusto (although in a limited capacity at the moment) which is pretty damn amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

deleted
#16 Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

No, we don't have Daiya. But we do have Vegusto (although in a limited capacity at the moment) which is pretty damn amazing.

I have never heard of that but I'm pretty sure I want to eat it

Daiya is the only cheese substitute I've tried, I need to branch out more.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM

I like Rice vegan slices, they melt on my sandwiches and my hubby even loves them.
#18 Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Rice Vegan Cheddar on sandwiches, and my favorite on pizza is Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet. It takes longer to melt than Daiya but once it does, it totally melts and even starts to brown.
#19 Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Great list, thank you for posting! I was a lacto vegetarian for many years before going vegan. Giving up dairy sporadically during that time, I always noticed that the arthritis in my fingers flares up with dairy and subsides without.
#20 Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Really stupid reasons:

1. Cows milk is intended for baby cows. Were the only species (other than those we are domesticating) that drinks milk after infancy. And, were definitely the only ones drinking the milk of a different species.

And that is strange? We're the only species that does a lot of other things as well. Should we stop doing these things just because we're the only ones doing them? Didn't think so. Also, is this perhaps the case because we're the only species caple of doing this?

11. Pesticides in cow feed find their way into milk and dairy products that we consume.

We might as well stop eating then.

Only reason for me is exploitation
#21 Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM

I am hoping to be able to make grilled "cheese" eventually, I have the nayonaise dressing that is like Miracle whip too. Love my comfort food
#22 Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Really stupid reasons:

1. Cows milk is intended for baby cows. Were the only species (other than those we are domesticating) that drinks milk after infancy. And, were definitely the only ones drinking the milk of a different species.

And that is strange? We're the only species that does a lot of other things as well. Should we stop doing these things just because we're the only ones doing them? Didn't think so. Also, is this perhaps the case because we're the only species caple of doing this?

The first part, 'Cow's milk is intended for baby cows', is a good reason in my eyes - why consume something designed to rapidly grow the infant of another species?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#23 Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

The first part, 'Cow's milk is intended for baby cows', is a good reason in my eyes - why consume something designed to rapidly grow the infant of another species?

Because it tastes good?
#24 Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Really stupid reasons:

11. Pesticides in cow feed find their way into milk and dairy products that we consume.

We might as well stop eating then.

Only reason for me is exploitation

I've got to agree. The way the cows are treated, including repeated forced impregnations and having their babies taken away from them is pretty much the only reason for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page