BWVAKTBOOM..this is either really hot or really shallow..(sex abuse victims WARNING) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 PM
SPJ
Beginner

maybe both and that's got me rolling my eyes and laughing.

(Might not be safe for work)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0vQO...ature=youtu.be

http://www.bwvaktboom.com/

I nearly did a spit take when I saw this PETA commercial...ummm wow. Oh PETA you have me so confused sometimes. You do a wonderful vegan starter kit...then you have an absurd street demonstration. You make the case for Orca personhood then you foolishly protest Super Mario.

Though to be fair I do admit to laughing at some of these testimonials. As someone who is a bit curious as to why there are so few male vegetarians in general compared to female ones I found it interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Kind of funny. But I dumped being a member of PETA years ago. And with no regrets that's for sure.
#3 Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I chuckled, but it seemed like it was missing something. I think they could have done more with the commercial.
#4 Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

I highly doubt this is going to turn anyone away from meat, but it sure is a funny way to preach to the choir

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, that is sadly no reason for me to become vegan anyhow.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, that was just weird...
#7 Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 AM

don't worry, Envy, the first twenty years of celibacy are the worst.

#8 Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM

I wasn't expecting that, too funny!
#9 Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is she happy? Ooh yeah my bf is such a stud I need a neck brace.
#10 Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Am I the only one who is extremely put off by this? I know it's meant to be funny, but without the commentary the girl looks like a dazed rape victim wandering the streets after being attacked.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#11 Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Am I the only one who is extremely put off by this? I know it's meant to be funny, but without the commentary the girl looks like a dazed rape victim wandering the streets after being attacked.

I didn't watch the video, but when I saw the woman with the neck brace, and anticipated from the text that this would be a result of her boyfriend, yeah.
#12 Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Why is she happy? Ooh yeah my bf is such a stud I need a neck brace.

Yeah I fail to see the humor in that also.

Quote:

Nope not alone in that. That was my first thought as soon as the video started. I thought she was a rape or abuse victim.

Again another poorly executed message by Peta.
#13 Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

The way it was executed was horrible, they could have done it better because yes that's how it comes across in the beginning, i have to say i am into roughness and some pain during intimate moments but as i said they definitely make it come across like she's upset and wandering around in the beginning, perhaps something as simple as her actually smiling the whole time could have changed the vibe, though that may have just made it creepier lol i'm not sure.
#14 Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Do they have a hatred of women at peta or something, because the way they portray them and present them in their advertising is really disrespectful.

if that ad got shown in australia (probably not, due to differences in culture), i would report it to the advertising standards authority because the promotion of sexual aggression and violence towards women in advertising is wrong.
#15 Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

Do they have a hatred of women at peta or something, because the way they portray them and present them in their advertising is really disrespectful.

That's pretty much always been the case with peta.
#16 Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

More of PETA's objectification of women. They should have had him beat the **** out of her to make the point that vegan males are strong and aren't deficient in testosterone.
#17 Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't get an abusive vibe from the ad as I got on to the idea they were going for pretty quick, but I did find the way they were presenting her injuries as a sign that she was satisfied in bed a little creepy.

It's a total macho fantasy, being so incredibly strong and virile you can't have sex without it hurting your partner and this is supposed to be a positive thing somehow. It's the same idea as in the ridiculous last book/movie of Twilight.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#18 Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

lol ...what peta? seems like we are getting a little off topic here. why not just focus on the issues instead of making confusing ads...
#19 Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM
SPJ
Beginner

Mixed feelings on my part...yeah I can see how some people would be put off by it. Then some people I know (including some vegans) like sex that to me sounds painful.

But overall I got the idea of a consenting sexual relationship in the ad.

Actually if you look at the "testimonials" it comes across alot better.
#20 Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

On the one hand, PETA came up with a witty idea: turning vegan allows his increased sexual drive to increase the level of her pleasure with the experience. However, the execution with this video was all wrong, giving the impression that he physically abused her with the hole in the wall and the neck brace. If having sex causes either of the participants to need a neck brace it's never a good thing.

If PETA wants to use sex to sell, that's fine, but this video was over the line a bit. I think PETA has gotten into the habit of believing that any news coverage is good and helps support its mission, turning a blind eye to the many veg*ns who want nothing to do with the them and the ridicule they receive from non-veg*ns.

However, with that said, the idea was not a bad one. I watched "Nevermore" at http://www.bwvaktboom.com/PeoplesStories.aspx and that was pretty funny and more towards what PETA should have attempted with the video in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I didn't get an abusive vibe from the ad as I got on to the idea they were going for pretty quick, but I did find the way they were presenting her injuries as a sign that she was satisfied in bed a little creepy.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

It's a total macho fantasy, being so incredibly strong and virile you can't have sex without it hurting your partner and this is supposed to be a positive thing somehow.

Not every guy has this fantasy (I don't), but I do agree with your point that the video portrayed having sex in a way that physically hurt your partner as somehow a positive thing. I know some people want a level and/or type of pain in their sexual experiences, but I doubt that includes doing something that needs a neck brace.
#21 Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

....fail
#22 Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Hilarious!

I find it even funnier how people are offended by the ad.

She was supposed to look like a victim at the beginning it sets up the joke. The butt shots and overall message of course is intended for guys, which is great bc more guys should consider becoming vegan. It is true too, eliminating animal foods can increase libido.
#23 Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I lol'd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Hilarious!

She was supposed to look like a victim at the beginning it sets up the joke. The butt shots and overall message of course is intended for guys, which is great bc more guys should consider becoming vegan. It is true too, eliminating animal foods can increase libido.

You find it funny that those of us who have been victims are offended.

Wow.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#25 Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

You find it funny that those of us who have been victims are offended.

Wow.

yup, because she isn't a victim and its funny how people assume things at first glance.
#26 Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Eh, seems like they're trying to be offensive (like usual), which is a good reason to not get worked up about it.

Quote:

Hilarious!

You should at least be able to understand why some people would be offended by it. It's using domestic violence as the basis of a joke.
#27 Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Hilarious!

Just to be clear: You think it's funny that people who have been raped, or know someone who has, or who just plain finds this distasteful, are offended or triggered by this? Or better yet, you find it good that this message that it's okay to hurt someone (in a way they don't want to be hurt) in bed is okay? Because it's not.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#28 Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yup, because she isn't a victim and its funny how people assume things at first glance.

So, no empathy skills, eh?

Jean-Paul Sartre
#29 Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Just to be clear: You think it's funny that people who have been raped, or know someone who has, or who just plain finds this distasteful, are offended or triggered by this? Or better yet, you find it good that this message that it's okay to hurt someone (in a way they don't want to be hurt) in bed is okay? Because it's not.

That wasn't the message at all. I didn't see domestic violence or rape in the ad. I didn't even think of those things when i watched it. She looked like she liked it in the second that showed her having sex, didn't look abusive. I have gotten hurt from sex many times, not abused or assaulted, actually hurt form falling off the bed or going to rough etc, its funny when it happens which is why this ad is funny.
#30 Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:

So, no empathy skills, eh?

not for people that assume things that aren't really there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page