Vegans and the Coming Colds - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

#1 Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

It's cold and flu season!! Yippee! (not really @[email protected])

So, what do you guys do when you have a sick day?

Are there any vegan remedies that will help a sore throat or stuffy nose? What kinds of foods do you eat when you are sick? (I'd go for Amy's No chicken noodle soup )

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM

I always eat garlic - I've found it can kill pretty much any cold! Whenever I start feeling cold symptoms, I pretty much stuff my face with raw garlic. I either chop the cloves into pill-size pieces and swallow them with water, or I crush it and mix with honey (I'm not vegan, as you might've guessed, so if you don't eat honey, syrup would work just fine). Basically, the more garlic the better. And it should be raw - "cheating" by eating food with lots of garlic won't work as well.
#3 Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMaria View Post

I always eat garlic - I've found it can kill pretty much any cold! Whenever I start feeling cold symptoms, I pretty much stuff my face with raw garlic. I either chop the cloves into pill-size pieces and swallow them with water, or I crush it and mix with honey (I'm not vegan, as you might've guessed, so if you don't eat honey, syrup would work just fine). Basically, the more garlic the better. And it should be raw - "cheating" by eating food with lots of garlic won't work as well.

Wow, never hear dof that o__O Did it actually prevent the cold from happening as soon as you started to feel the symptoms? I might need to try that.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Love garlic too, but for me it's not enough to prevent the colds or flu.
Aside from washing my hands regularly and trying to not touch my face, I take Echinacea either when I start to feel a little anything slightly symptomatic and "pre-empt" by taking some before I go into public places where people sneeze and cough alot, which is most places.
If/When I do get symptoms, this recipe from an old woman at the Indian Grocery store, kept my young child and I out of the hospital when we were so congested the doctors wanted to admit us both. Take red lentils, wash repeatedly, then cook until they are tender, using only salt and black pepper. No spices, no onions, no garlic, veggies or anything else. Make a huge batch and drink the broth at least 4 big cups a day. The soup/lentils taste really nice too. Oh, yeah I do add American grown Saffron to keep the gassiness away.
It's amazing. We took that soup for 4 days, returned to the hospital for unrelated tests and the doctors thought I agreed to take the prescription they recommended for congestion. Ha-Ha! No need.
Keep well.
The other thing I noticed worked before, but I slacked off recently, was when I consistently exercised 1 1/2 hours day weekdays, including walking, a little aerobics, a little rowing. I was around obnoxious people who coughed and sneezed without covering up and did not catch anything.
Of course a vegan diet too.
Hoping we all avoid or minimize the flu and cold.
Cheers
LedBoots likes this.
#5 Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I use nothing to remedy colds and the flu, and I also eat what I normally eat. For me there's no need to do anything special.
#6 Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

When I get a cold or a flu I just eat foods high in vitamin C. I don't really eat much when I'm sick and from what I understand vitamin C is great for boosting the immune system and fighting off viruses so I just go for things high in that and of course greens. Green smoothies with oranges or fruits plus greens sauteed in water with garlic and lemon or lime juice. I will take ibuprofen because it helps with inflammation and I have problems with that due to a genetic health problem and due to the same problem I also have problems with my body not being able to cool down properly so high fevers can kill me (and I'm talking 102 or 103 degrees is high for me, my body temp runs at 95/96 degrees). Otherwise I do not take any meds or supplements.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

I use nothing to remedy colds and the flu, and I also eat what I normally eat. For me there's no need to do anything special.

Yeah same. My diet is healthy and high in things like vitamin C anyway. You can't cure a cold, most medicines are just pain killers, caffeine, etc, or sugar syrup for cough medicines. If it's more serious tthan a cold I'll use the appropriate medicine.

The one thing I do do, is rest where I can. I have a lot of friends who get colds, keep working really hard as per usual, and it hangs around for weeks and weeks or even develops into chest infections/etc which go on for a long time. I think it's more productive to rest in the short term, get enough sleep, and give your body the best chance at recovering as quick as possible.
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Wow, never hear dof that o__O Did it actually prevent the cold from happening as soon as you started to feel the symptoms? I might need to try that.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, of course all colds are different, so it might not work as effectively on every cold. I haven't had the flu for three years and back then I didn't know about the garlic trick, so I don't know how well it works on flus, but I imagine it would help.
#9 Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually get a little sick once or twice during the flu season. It doesn't seem to affect me as it does the people around me. I think my immune system is stronger or something. I just let it run its course unless the symptoms are really irritating, then I'll use some kind of over the counter thing to ease the symptoms. I never miss work due to being sick or anything.

Tam! RUGH!
#10 Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM

I have been pretty lucky: I haven't been sick for years.
#11 Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually have a cold right now. I stayed home today because I'm probably contagious and because my son is sick so I have to care for him (he's why I got sick!) but I don't feel so I'll I have to stay home; it's more out of concern for the wellbeing of others.

Here's what I do for colds and flu:
- even though it's not technically vegan we get the flu shots
- use generic medicines whenever possible (thus not supporting animal testing)
- saline spray for congested nose
- salt water gargle for sore throat
- lots of liquids (water, tea, fortified nut milks, soups) to stay hydrated
- rest and good hygiene (example: change toothbrush after cold has passed to prevent reinfection in case it's bacterial)
- and of course, if it lasts too long or gets too bad we go to the doctor
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Yeah same. My diet is healthy and high in things like vitamin C anyway. You can't cure a cold, most medicines are just pain killers, caffeine, etc, or sugar syrup for cough medicines. If it's more serious tthan a cold I'll use the appropriate medicine.

The one thing I do do, is rest where I can. I have a lot of friends who get colds, keep working really hard as per usual, and it hangs around for weeks and weeks or even develops into chest infections/etc which go on for a long time. I think it's more productive to rest in the short term, get enough sleep, and give your body the best chance at recovering as quick as possible.

I so agree. Rest is so underrated and really helps lessen the effects of a cold. I also make sure I drink plenty of fluids, like water and tea. That always seems to help in addition to the rest.
#13 Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Everyone had some interesting input

@Elaine, gargling with salt water? bleh, it tasted so nasty and made my throat feel worse haha but a lot of people tend to swear by it haha xD >.>

#14 Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not uncommon for vegans to be low in zinc. A course before you get a cold is best. I rarely get a cold now.
LedBoots likes this.

m8itcanw8.com
#15 Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 PM

Haven't been sick for a while..
But normally as soon as I feel any minor symptoms, like a dry, or itching throat, I do baking soda gargles.
My last cold was November, 2010, and I did the gargles, plenty of resting, lots of vitamin c foods, ginger/lemon teas, when I had a blocked nose I did eucalyptus oil inhalations, went away pretty quickly.
I avoid any medicines, they only suppress the symptoms and with it yours body capacity of fighting by itself.

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
#16 Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Vegan Very Metal

I just tough it out, and let my immune system cope with it, even though i rarely get colds.
#17 Old 05-10-2014, 07:23 PM

I haven't been sick from any cold or flu since I quit eating meat. I was just searching the net to see if vegans even catch colds, and came across this. O_o

#18 Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Maybe it's the garlic that has been keeping me safe from colds. I eat it on almost all of my dinners, I don't think I used it much before I quit meat products.

#19 Old 05-11-2014, 01:18 PM

Drink Peppermint tea for some relief, add in Willow Bark Extract for a natural aspirin effect and Ginger Tea is a nice thing to add in.

These will keep you hydrated but you still need to drink plenty of h2o

#20 Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Oryzatarian

In stores, usually on the spice aisle, you can often find crystallized ginger. Basically dried ginger preserved with sugar.

Keeping a couple strips with you can be useful. If nausea strikes, chewing up and swallowing a strip of crystallized ginger can be quite effective at making you feel better.

The taste is kind of full-on but before long it becomes tempting to eat it as candy.

[Insert obvious warning for diabetics]

#21 Old 05-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I suffer from chronic sinus infections. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, I'm probably sick. If you throw a regular cold on top, I get pretty much debilitated. Hot showers, hot clear drinks (vegetable broth, tea), and hot clear soups are my go to remedies to help me with congestion. Before starting my vegan transition I always avoided dairy when I had symptoms since dairy can thicken mucous, but that isn't even an issue anymore since I don't consume dairy anyway. 

If I have an upset stomach, I usually stick with rice cooked in broth (I guess my version of chicken noodle soup) because it is very gentle on the stomach and gets liquids in me. 

My favorite soup for sinus trouble and colds though is garlic soup. I just prepare vegetable or vegan chicken broth and flavor it with lots of garlic and paprika. I add rice or pasta if I am feeling hungry. The strong flavor is great for when I have trouble tasting my food because of congestion. 

#22 Old 05-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Elderberry syrup.  Seriously, take that at the maximum dose at first symptoms of cold/flu and it will be very mild and be gone within a couple of days.  It's been clinically tested against the flu and my personal experience vs colds has been pretty convincing.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/elderberry

Aristede and LedBoots like this.
#23 Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I never seem to catch colds anymore. After years of being an elementary teacher and constantly around germy kids, I've built up resistance I suppose. My allergies on the other hand.... ugh.

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#24 Old 05-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Not a Beginner

If I'm sick I hide in the dark and sleep. My immune system is a bit dodgy coz I seem to get sick quite often. To try and sort this and some other issues, which normal medicine didn't seem to be helping at all with, I've been going to a naturopath recently. I've been on a detox diet she put me on for around 6 weeks (ends next week, YAY!) and I'm feeling a little healthier. On my last visit I felt like I was getting a cold and I mentioned it, so she gave me this stuff called Andro NK (zinc, vit E and some herbs) and told me to take it in heavy doses for a couple of days only. I never got that cold, it was awesome.
LedBoots likes this.
#25 Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Oryzatarian

I've grown and used the active ingredient in that (Andrographis paniculata).
Seemed to work for me but I'm freakishly cold/flu resistant to begin with, but it also worked for my normal mates.
Its a fun plant, the seed pods are loaded with springs and they'll actually shoot seeds at you. I made a tea once and it was the only time I've seen a natural neon green herb tea! Almost glowed in the dark. After drinking the tea I found other ways to ingest it.
LedBoots likes this.
#26 Old 05-16-2014, 02:28 AM

As i feel fever i put upon myself lots of blankets for the night.It gets hot,but the hotter it gets the sooner the fever is out.Fever is what?Its a virus which is suddenly spreading through the body defences,cheating them.Body has its own mechanisms to deal with invadors-it can increase its own temperature.Virus dies at 10 degrees more than normal for it.So to kill the virus body increases its temp.You can fasten the INAVITABLE virus defeat by helping your body to increase its temp.Hot drinks help as well
LedBoots likes this.
#27 Old 05-17-2014, 11:37 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

LOL This is my thread from like two years ago. Funny timing because I literally am just getting over a cold that I got the day before finals week. Fun right? NO. Freaking felt like I was hacking up my lungs for three days. Dayquil was the only way I was able to not have to deal with make up exams which aren't guaranteed x_X I know it's not vegan, but for medicine my practicality goes out the window. I'm not going to suffer when the medicine is right there and it's been tested on animals ages ago.
LedBoots likes this.

#28 Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

I just simply eat lots of fresh fruits, veggies, and fungi to strengthen my immune system. And if I do get sick I let my body do its work.
#29 Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

It has been long time that I have been sick. Don't rember what I did then. Probably eat lots of fruit and drink water. And eat normal.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#30 Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post
It's cold and flu season!! Yippee! (not really @[email protected])

So, what do you guys do when you have a sick day?

Are there any vegan remedies that will help a sore throat or stuffy nose? What kinds of foods do you eat when you are sick? (I'd go for Amy's No chicken noodle soup )
Vegetarian won ton soup.

Works every time.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page