Tofu scramble? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Beginner

Does anyone have a good recipe they could share share?

|| Que sera sera ||

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Great question. I would also like to know this. This is one of the few things that I haven't made with tofu, but always wanted to.

Laura
#3 Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM

mashed tofu+black salty+nutritional yeast flakes+soya milk+bit of marg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, but what is black salty? Is it black salt. Also, what kind of tofu do you use?
#5 Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Oops, I mean "black salt"...it is a kind of salt that smells and tastes like eggs. It is pink.

can't link to Wiki, as it's down but here's a link:http://www.saltworks.us/kala-namak-black-salt.html

I think the tofu I use is called firm, but I'm not sure...it isn't the more jelly stuff, although you can use that.

You can add cherry tomatoes, sweet corn and wotnot, but that's up to the person making it.

#6 Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM

1 packege extra firm tofu frozen and then thawed.
Squeeze out the water and while your doing this crumble the tofu so it feels kinda like scrambled egges.
Chop 1 bell pepper, 1 onion, and as much garlic as you want. I love garlic so that's about 4 medium to large cloves for me.
saute the veggies in a little water.
When they're about done add the tofu plus chili powder, cumin, salt, cyanne or hot sauce, a couple tbsp nooch, and a dash of turmeric*sp*. I don't know the amount of my spices because I just throw them in I don't really measure anything. Tastes awsome with some salsa wrapped up in a tortilla or with some veggie chorizo... can you tell I'm a fan of latin food lol.

hth
Audrey
#7 Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM

I used to put the tofu in the food blender, but I find that a potato masher gives a better texture, and is less messy.

#8 Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by audretoburrito View Post

Squeeze out the water and while your doing this crumble the tofu so it feels kinda like scrambled egges.
Chop 1 bell pepper, 1 onion, and as much garlic as you want. I love garlic so that's about 4 medium to large cloves for me.
When they're about done add the tofu plus chili powder, cumin, salt, cyanne or hot sauce, a couple tbsp nooch, and a dash of turmeric*sp*. I don't know the amount of my spices because I just throw them in I don't really measure anything. Tastes awsome with some salsa wrapped up in a tortilla or with some veggie chorizo... can you tell I'm a fan of latin food lol.

hth
Audrey

See that's what i wasn't sure of. I wasn't sure how the actual "scrambling" was done.
This has all been so informative, I'm so excited to try it out!
Could I do the scrambling with a whisk a well??

|| Que sera sera ||

#9 Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

A whisk doesn't work very well on firm tofu. I throw everything into my food processor, then add some chopped veggies. I like tomatoes and mushrooms best, but occasionally add some spinach, too.
#10 Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

Oops, I mean "black salt"...it is a kind of salt that smells and tastes like eggs. It is pink.

can't link to Wiki, as it's down but here's a link:http://www.saltworks.us/kala-namak-black-salt.html

I think the tofu I use is called firm, but I'm not sure...it isn't the more jelly stuff, although you can use that.

You can add cherry tomatoes, sweet corn and wotnot, but that's up to the person making it.

I just ordered some of that salt. Neat website. No shipping, even better.

Thanks, Laura
#11 Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audretoburrito View Post

Audrey

Yum! Another one to try.

Thanks, Laura
#12 Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

I take a spoon and crumble the tofu, throw it in a pan with olive oil, add spinach, red peppers, green peppers, onions, chili pepper, and daiya .
#13 Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Does everyone always use firm tofu? Ever use silken or is it too soft? Do you always drain and press it?
#14 Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I always use firm, but I don't worry about pressing it...if it's really wet, I might give it a squeeze over the sink, before putting it into the fp.
#15 Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, I guess that's what I'm having for BF tomorrow.
#16 Old 01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Does everyone always use firm tofu? Ever use silken or is it too soft? Do you always drain and press it?

Silken will produce too much water, and you'll be left with more of a soup than a scramble. Press as much water out as you can.

You *can* use silken, or not press the tofu, though, if you simmer it long enough to boil off all of the extra water (could take a half an hour though, and waste some energy).

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#17 Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ Thanks, I've always wanted to try Tofu Scramble, more so since I stopped eating eggs.

Laura
#18 Old 01-18-2012, 04:27 PM

That's the main reason I freeze it besides it staying good longer. When it's frozen and thawed it feels kinda like a sponge. I just grab a chunk and squeeze it out over the sink. I'm not sure I'd remember to press it before hand if it's fresh lol. I'm lucky when I remember to soak my beans the night before I'm makeing something. Other yummy stuff to throw in with them is italian seasonings, spinach, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatos halved, and of course garlic Plus the nooch and the turmeric. The turmeric turns it yellow I'm told though I can't say cause I'm blind so I'll just take peeps word on that one.

Audrey
#19 Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Beginner

I like it with Olive Oil, zucchini, onions, garlic, lots of curry powder and sprinkled with salt before eating. Not the healthiest way to make it, but so delicious.
#20 Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarPineapplePlz View Post

I like it with Olive Oil, zucchini, onions, garlic, lots of curry powder and sprinkled with salt before eating. Not the healthiest way to make it, but so delicious.

That sounds pretty healthy to me.
#21 Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

That sounds pretty healthy to me.

Haha, that's just what I was thinking too. Unless it's literally taking a bath in the olive oil?

If I'm making a scramble, it's usually because I'm being lazy about cooking, so I just throw it together with whatever is on hand and eat it as a soup (likewise being lazy about squeezing the water out). Not saying all scrambles are lazy, of course- some of these sound pretty amazing. Also not saying there's anything wrong with lazy food; it can be seriously delicious too.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#22 Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Beginner

I made a tofu scramble a few days ago & it turned out amazing!
Definitely something that I'll be making from now on.
Thanks for the replies everyone

|| Que sera sera ||

#23 Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never made scrambled tofu, don't know why 'cos it does sounds pretty good. Possibly because I'm not really a big breakfast person.

Does anyone eat it for lunch or supper rather than breakfast? I'm thinking it'd be good with some kind of grain based salad or pilaf.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#24 Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Ankle Biter

We LOVE tofu scramble for dinner.  Black Salt definitely enhances it and makes it taste an awful lot like scrambled eggs.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#25 Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's the recipe I use: http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-and-tof-me-scrambled-tofu-revisited/

It freezes really well - if you have a very large pan, make a double batch and freeze leftovers. I do drain it, but I don't press it for this scramble recipe. It benefits from being moist.

#26 Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

I never ate my own tofu scramble because I am a no-oil kind of gal.

So does anyone make theirs without oil in a non-stick pan?

I'm off work tomorrow and actually want to eat what I cook for once! lol

#27 Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I never ate my own tofu scramble because I am a no-oil kind of gal.
So does anyone make theirs without oil in a non-stick pan?
I'm off work tomorrow and actually want to eat what I cook for once! lol

Tofu scramble does not contain unhealthy amounts of oil. Just a tablespoon or so of olive oil really adds to the richness and flavor of the dish.

No oil does not seem like a healthy way to go given your history.
#28 Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Tofu scramble does not contain unhealthy amounts of oil. Just a tablespoon or so of olive oil really adds to the richness and flavor of the dish.
No oil does not seem like a healthy way to go given your history.

Yep definitely don't skimp on the fat, although it is wise to avoid certain oils (ie, soy,peanut,canola,cottonseed) since their omega ratio is way out of whack. Olive oil would be a good option,
#29 Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 AM

sometimes I have just not bothered with any oil, and just used soya milk.

#30 Old 06-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I had scrambled tofu with a chile spiked quinoa salad for dinner.

Tofu was scrambled / stir fried with olive oil, a teaspoon of Marigold powder and a teaspoon of Garam Masala, a tablespoon of soy sauce, half a chopped courgette and half a chopped onion. Really good. I went back for seconds. 

Quinoa salad worked well with it, next time I think I'll do a bulghar pilaf with toasted seeds and a mixed green salad.

I really can't imagine treating it like scrambled eggs and putting it on toast for breakfast though. I think sticky brown rice and sweetcorn fritters and grilled mushrooms would make good alternative breakfast side dishes.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Tags
Vegan-Recipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page