Wedding planning - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Did you have a vegan wedding?

Living in a rural state, I'm finding it rather difficult to find vegan options (dress, cake, food).

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I haven't yet, but when we do get married in a few years we will be having a 100% Vegan wedding, and the guests will have to deal with that.

Maybe travel for your wedding, up to a more friendly place?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 01-14-2012, 02:41 PM

I don't know if this would be any help but here is an article from a couple who just had a vegan wedding, http://www.thekindlife.com/post/my-b...y-lindsay-wolf and this website might give you some inspiration http://www.rosepedalsveganweddings.com/

In term's of dresses, if you don't find anything vegan that you love maybe think about how you'd feel about going vintage or buying one second hand from a Charity Shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

my mom refuses to have all vegan food at the reception.
ive been arguing with her for weeks over this.
and i have gotten nowhere...
#5 Old 01-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Banned

Are you marrying Popeye?
#6 Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

my mom refuses to have all vegan food at the reception.
ive been arguing with her for weeks over this.
and i have gotten nowhere...

Who's paying?
#7 Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Are you marrying Popeye?

I was wondering the same thing......or is it just some randomly odd coincidence that two new members join this forum named Popeye and Oliveoyl?

Have you contacted local bakeries and catering companies and asked if they would be willing to make the food/cake all vegan?
#8 Old 01-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

VegNews does an issue on vegan weddings every year. I'm sure you can get backorders online or find some old copies at a library. Here's a link to the 2009 article: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=528&catId=7

When I got married it wasn't much of a problem to find a dress made from plants or synthetics. Fewer than 50% of the dresses I liked were vegan, but that didn't make it too terrible. I just had to look at a lot of dresses. I shopped at about 5 different stores and narrowed it down to the ones I liked and then chose from there. For the dress, the issues were more about cost and fit I actually still regret going to a specialized wedding dress boutique and wished I had gone for the cheaper ivory dress I found at a department store. It actually looked and fit better!

About the food: try finding a caterer who is willing to experiment. And then work with him/her to develop a vegan menu. Provide recipes and ideas. It will require you to work harder than if you had a vegan caterer but in the long run it's worth it.

Same goes for cake. Just call around and ask. You may be surprised to learn that so-and-so baker who usually puts eggs in everything has a daughter or nephew who is allegic to eggs. Someone like that is far more willing to learn how to accomodate a vegan than the average baker. So go out on a limb and just ask everyone a lot of questions to see if anyone is motivated to help you.

For family who disagree with a vegan wedding, just remind them that this is your celebration and having nonvegan food makes you very sad. It's supposed to be your big happy day and they want something that will make you terribly sad. Pull a guilt-trip. If ever there is a good time to do that, now is the time. You are the bride and you get to be happy on your wedding day, period. Remind them that it's just one meal and everyone can handle eating a vegan meal once in their lifetime. If you choose to compromise about it then change the time (people are more willing to not eat dead animals earlier in the day) or change the type of meal (for example, have cocktails and apps instead of a sit-down dinner). I had 80 people at my wedding reception and only 1 person complained that there wasn't any meat. Just one. And that wasn't because the other 79 were vegetarian, no, only a handful of people were already veg. Seriously, people can deal with whatever food you offer. It's not as big of a deal as any of your family members act like it is.
#9 Old 01-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

For family who disagree with a vegan wedding, just remind them that this is your celebration and having nonvegan food makes you very sad. It's supposed to be your big happy day and they want something that will make you terribly sad. Pull a guilt-trip. If ever there is a good time to do that, now is the time. You are the bride and you get to be happy on your wedding day, period.

So... vegan parents who are paying for a wedding reception should give in to an omni daughter re the menu? (Just playing devils advocate here)
#10 Old 01-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

So... vegan parents who are paying for a wedding reception should give in to an omni daughter re the menu? (Just playing devils advocate here)

The sadness an omni daughter of vegan parents might feel by being denied funding for an omni menu is not remotely comparable to the sadness a vegan daughter of omni parents would feel by being forced to serve dead animals at her wedding.

And for the record, I was speaking simply to the menu decisions, not about who was paying for the food. If someone is offering to pay for the food and you have a disagreement about what to serve, then the bride and groom should simply assume financial responsibility for that portion of the wedding reception. Simple. And modern too since many people pay for their own weddings. My husband and I did and I think that was right.
#11 Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

The sadness an omni daughter of vegan parents might feel by being denied funding for an omni menu is not remotely comparable to the sadness a vegan daughter of omni parents would feel by being forced to serve dead animals at her wedding.

And for the record, I was speaking simply to the menu decisions, not about who was paying for the food. If someone is offering to pay for the food and you have a disagreement about what to serve, then the bride and groom should simply assume financial responsibility for that portion of the wedding reception. Simple. And modern too since many people pay for their own weddings. My husband and I did and I think that was right.

Ahh, I see where you are coming from, and I agree if one wants something a certain way accept the financial responsibility for it. The guests can just suck it up, not like it's that big of a deal anyway (eating vegan), some of them might actually learn something.

When we got married my in laws paid for the reception, despite my MIL saying we could choose the menu she really wanted to and after her saying are you sure you really want that a couple of times it was like just pick what you want. lol. Our whole wedding reception, hall and 100+ guests only cost $1,500 but we were young and poor at the time.

Personally when the kids get hitched I'm just going to give them the money and let them spend it how they want, I don't want any part of it.
#12 Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 PM

I've checked out rosepedalsveganweddings.com and there's really nothing there to help with a vegan wedding in small city, midwest. There are very few bakeries, but I will definitely try to meet up with some of the local ones to see what they can do, especially if I provide the ingredients. I really like your advice, ElaineV, about pulling a guilt trip. I really wouldn't like for my fiance and I to cut our own wedding cake, and then not eat it (how depressing). But at the same time I don't want the day to be centered around food/veganism/ethics. It's definitely a good idea to ask local caterers/cake makers to see what they are able to do.
#13 Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

If nothing else, you can pull the allergies card. Egg and dairy are two of the biggest food allergens, and people in the food business tend to go out of their way to accomadate that.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom forced meat in my wedding. She paid for it. She said people expect meat at a wedding and would not listen to my want for a veggie wedding.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#15 Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I would reject the money if it was going to have strings. **** that.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#16 Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Have you tried contacting any Indian (as in India, not native) vendors? It isn't uncommon for Indian weddings (particularly Hindu) to be vegan. Just a thought/
#17 Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

my mom.
so we all obviously know where this situation is going to end up being...
#18 Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM

alis, great idea! we have a *single* indian restaurant and I'm sure they'll be able to cater vegan food. thank you!
#19 Old 01-17-2012, 10:46 AM

good luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page