Restaurant Mishaps - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

#91 Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

To the original question;

It depends what is non-vegan about the dish, and how the dish's non-veganness came about. I always ask about dairy, as I'm lactose intolerant. If it has dairy in it, even after every single specification I've made, it has to be sent back. This has only happened twice that I can remember. In one instance, there was a slice of cheese on a veggie burger, so I just took it off (it was not in any way stuck to anything) and gave it to my boyfriend. If I had sent it back, the whole thing would have gone in the bin, and I hate wasting food of any kind.

Similarly, if the dish contained meat, I'd send it back. This has never happened in the UK (where labelling and understanding of terms is usually ok, and if it appears like it's not, I don't eat there), but it happened on a recent holiday. I thought I had ordered a tomato pasta dish. Language barrier caused some confusion, and I ended up with something covered in bacon. I didn't eat it, but I didn't send it back because I was worried about what I'd get in exchange. They noticed I hadn't touched it, and I wasn't charged.

However, if the dish contained egg, and I had just assumed it didn't, then I'd probably eat it. That, or I'd give it to someone else and order something that was vegan. Again, it's the wasting food thing. This has only happened twice - once at a sushi bar, where I asked if the noodles in the noodle soup contained egg. They didn't, so I ordered it. There was half a boiled egg floating in the soup, so I gave that to my friend and ate it anyway. I just try and learn from these mistakes, and ask better questions in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It irks me when restaurants don't prepare my food correctly, but it would irk me more if my food were thrown out and wasted entirely.
#93 Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

It irks me when restaurants don't prepare my food correctly, but it would irk me more if my food were thrown out and wasted entirely.

I agree. By this point, I would probably just eat it. I think not eating animal products for the sake of not eating animal products kind of...doesn't make sense...unless you would become ill. I don't eat them because the consumption supports industries I don't accept as moral. If the food has already been prepared, the damage is done.

However, I wouldn't want to make the waiter or waitress think he or she did a sufficient job with my order (if it was somehow only my fault). This is where it gets tricky...for me, as I've already said that you can't guarantee it will be eaten without either seeing it eaten or eating it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

The only problem with eating it is it may make the restaurant staff think it's not a big deal and not be particularly careful with people requesting animal-product-free food in the future (assuming it's their fault and not the customer's).
#95 Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

To the original question;
That, or I'd give it to someone else and order something that was vegan.

I think that's the best option, yeah.

I did get something that was otherwise vegan but flavoured with chicken broth a few years ago (first bite almost made me throw up); somebody else at the table ate it. I spent the next half hour in the washroom trying to clean my tongue. The taste just wouldn't go away.

"Out damn broth!"

No point torturing yourself with something nasty.

Got a fairly simple fruit plate later. Not much, but it was properly vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Thus why I suggested earlier taking it to go and giving to an omnivore to displace other meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Gentleman View Post

If the food has already been prepared, the damage is done.

The damage has been done, but it can be undone in a sense by taking that food and giving it to an omnivore to displace other meat they would have otherwise eaten.

Eating it yourself isn't any worse than throwing it out, but giving it to an omnivore to save other lives is better.

Quote:

This is where it gets tricky...for me, as I've already said that you can't guarantee it will be eaten without either seeing it eaten or eating it yourself.

This is true. Although I don't think eating it ourselves does any good (even if it doesn't do any more harm); better to see it eaten by somebody who would otherwise have bought more meat to eat.

Maybe it's a good idea to always use the buddy system when going to non-vegan restaurants so it's easier to ensure that it's eaten.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#96 Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

The only problem with eating it is it may make the restaurant staff think it's not a big deal and not be particularly careful with people requesting animal-product-free food in the future (assuming it's their fault and not the customer's).

I know. That's what I was getting at with the fact that I wouldn't want the staff to not believe he or she is at fault and I don't want him or her to think that "Oh, it's okay, vegans don't really HAVE TO eat that way, they just choose it and they don't care if you screw up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

Thus why I suggested earlier taking it to go and giving to an omnivore to displace other meat.

The damage has been done, but it can be undone in a sense by taking that food and giving it to an omnivore to displace other meat they would have otherwise eaten.

Eating it yourself isn't any worse than throwing it out, but giving it to an omnivore to save other lives is better.

This is true. Although I don't think eating it ourselves does any good (even if it doesn't do any more harm); better to see it eaten by somebody who would otherwise have bought more meat to eat.

Maybe it's a good idea to always use the buddy system when going to non-vegan restaurants so it's easier to ensure that it's eaten.

Yeah, this is under the assumption that I don't know if something will be eaten or not. If I know FOR SURE, I'll definitely pass it along. If I'm uncertain...it's a tough call. I used to work in food and we wasted a lot, so I know that mistakes don't always get eaten (I could ask...but we've already talked about this in regards to whether it really will be or not).

I would take a buddy, but I prefer to eat alone most of the time.
#97 Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know. That's what I was getting at with the fact that I wouldn't want the staff to not believe he or she is at fault and I don't want him or her to think that "Oh, it's okay, vegans don't really HAVE TO eat that way, they just choose it and they don't care if you screw up."

I misread it as "I wouldn't want to make the waiter or waitress think they did an insufficient job."
#98 Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 AM
adapt. evolve. become

I wouldn't want to eat a dead animal just because someone messed up... :/
Raskolnikova likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#99 Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I just had the most wonderful vegan lunch at a local Mexican restaurant. I ordered a veggie enchilada dish that was supposed to have cheese and sour cream...just asked for no cheese or sour cream and they even brought the refried beans without cheese! I appreciated his conscientiousness in knowing that if I didn't want the cheese in the enchiladas, I probably didn't want it in the beans either.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#100 Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

However, I wouldn't want to make the waiter or waitress think he or she did a sufficient job with my order (if it was somehow only my fault). This is where it gets tricky...for me, as I've already said that you can't guarantee it will be eaten without either seeing it eaten or eating it yourself.

As I said before, almost every single time an order is messed up, it's a kitchen error, not a server error. So telling them "You f***ed up" is making assumptions. For example, yesterday after I rang in a ticket, I told the kitchen manager (who was running the food line) and he told a cook that a dish I rang in had no salad on the plate (they had it out first). Guess what came out. Yep, salad on the plate. We have food runners (and it drives me CRAZY when the person running the food doesn't read the ticket), so we can only do so much. Reading the tickets isn't hard for the people on our side of the kitchen, English is their first language. It's annoying for us too and our tips suffer when they mess up.
#101 Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I got a veggie wrap sandwich, asked twice for no cheese, for takeout last week and got back 2 work and started eating it, 3 bites in I notice there's cheese on it...I was SO pissed, hasn't slipped up in years. ugh still mad about it...and normally I bring a lunch to work every day cept maybe once a month, gonna just have to bring one every day now.
#102 Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

As I said before, almost every single time an order is messed up, it's a kitchen error, not a server error. So telling them "You f***ed up" is making assumptions. For example, yesterday after I rang in a ticket, I told the kitchen manager (who was running the food line) and he told a cook that a dish I rang in had no salad on the plate (they had it out first). Guess what came out. Yep, salad on the plate. We have food runners (and it drives me CRAZY when the person running the food doesn't read the ticket), so we can only do so much. Reading the tickets isn't hard for the people on our side of the kitchen, English is their first language. It's annoying for us too and our tips suffer when they mess up.

In my limited experiences, it actually has been the wait staff that has messed up. Luckily, I don't eat out very much so this hasn't happened very often. I actually ordered the beans without cheese in Spanish (the waiter's first language) but he did apologize and said he forgot and I really wasn't horribly upset (I've f*cked up with peoples' food before, too). The egg incidents were because the waiters just didn't write them down or didn't listen to what I had said.. I also had an experience where a waitress neglected to check and see if there was fish sauce in the curry I wanted to order until it had already been prepared. I've worked in food and realize it isn't always the wait staff's fault, but things like correct orders and time spent waiting are often reflected on the wait staff regardless of other factors.
#103 Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

In my limited experiences, it actually has been the wait staff that has messed up. Luckily, I don't eat out very much so this hasn't happened very often. I actually ordered the beans without cheese in Spanish (the waiter's first language) but he did apologize and said he forgot and I really wasn't horribly upset (I've f*cked up with peoples' food before, too). The egg incidents were because the waiters just didn't write them down or didn't listen to what I had said.. I also had an experience where a waitress neglected to check and see if there was fish sauce in the curry I wanted to order until it had already been prepared. I've worked in food and realize it isn't always the wait staff's fault, but things like correct orders and time spent waiting are often reflected on the wait staff regardless of other factors.

I don't know why some servers don't write down orders. I do, every time. Even if it's something simple.
#104 Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy View Post

I got a veggie wrap sandwich, asked twice for no cheese, for takeout last week and got back 2 work and started eating it, 3 bites in I notice there's cheese on it...I was SO pissed, hasn't slipped up in years. ugh still mad about it...and normally I bring a lunch to work every day cept maybe once a month, gonna just have to bring one every day now.

Ooh, I hate when that happens. And one has already eaten off of it, so it's pretty much impossible to find somebody else who will eat it (which just adds insult to injury).

I'm pretty paranoid about checking food, so that rarely happens to me (or would paranoid not be the right word, since it's actually realistic and a reasonable precaution?). I take apart sandwiches, unwrap wraps, thoroughly investigate pasta for meat hiding under noodles, and cut dumplings and such in half to inspect them (it's become pretty much habit). I try to be pretty discrete about it, like when one checks one's watch while extremely bored, so as to avoid offending anybody.

Sometimes I can't put them back together again properly and my meal suffers for it, but better that than an unpleasant surprise later.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#105 Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

I'm pretty paranoid about checking food, so that rarely happens to me (or would paranoid not be the right word, since it's actually realistic and a reasonable precaution?). I take apart sandwiches, unwrap wraps, thoroughly investigate pasta for meat hiding under noodles, and cut dumplings and such in half to inspect them (it's become pretty much habit). I try to be pretty discrete about it, like when one checks one's watch while extremely bored, so as to avoid offending anybody.

Sometimes I can't put them back together again properly and my meal suffers for it, but better that than an unpleasant surprise later.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. I dissect every little inch of my food. I do not want to bite into an unexpected piece of flesh or dairy.

My food tends to look pretty unappealing by the time I get done messing with it. I pick it apart, cut it up and section it off by saving "the best parts" for last.
#106 Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

So my friend and I went to this pizza place to order tomato pie with bruschetta topping and NO cheese. We mentioned the no-cheese part twice. We get it back to her house and they had sprinkled parmesan all over it. Grrrr. Was not a happy camper. Note to self: Check the box before you leave the place.
#107 Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

So my friend and I went to this pizza place to order tomato pie with bruschetta topping and NO cheese. We mentioned the no-cheese part twice. We get it back to her house and they had sprinkled parmesan all over it. Grrrr. Was not a happy camper. Note to self: Check the box before you leave the place.

Oh that sucks! I'm sorry. That's so disappointing when you find out after you are nowhere near the restaurant.

The last/first/only time I ordered tomato pie they had no problem with the no cheese part because it's so rare to get tomato pie without cheese apparently! The guy who took my ordered over the phone kept talking to me forever about it and then when I got there he still wouldn't let up. He was cool though and gave me a discount on it because he was convinced it wasn't tomato pie without the parm and would therefore not taste right.

Sadly I discovered that he was right. It's just not the same without the parm.

The brushetta sauce option sounds good and different though! I'll have to see if that's available around here.
#108 Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Oh that sucks! I'm sorry. That's so disappointing when you find out after you are nowhere near the restaurant.

The last/first/only time I ordered tomato pie they had no problem with the no cheese part because it's so rare to get tomato pie without cheese apparently! The guy who took my ordered over the phone kept talking to me forever about it and then when I got there he still wouldn't let up. He was cool though and gave me a discount on it because he was convinced it wasn't tomato pie without the parm and would therefore not taste right.

Sadly I discovered that he was right. It's just not the same without the parm.

The brushetta sauce option sounds good and different though! I'll have to see if that's available around here.

Yeah, I was bummed. I was in S. Jersey, so yeah, cheese is on EVERYTHING, which is so annoying . I think it's just so automatic for them to put the cheese food around there. My friend was going to give the place a piece of her mind, as she didn't really want the cheese, either, but she ate it anyway. I would definitely try it again, without the cheese, of course. It looked really good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page