two articles about pets being kept as pets, and vegan pet food... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't remember which forum the question was asked about feeding pets vegan food.....I happened across this site tonight and started going through some of the articles on it.

So, thought I would share, and maybe this will help whoever (sorry! don't remember who it was!).

http://veganmeans.com/why_veganism/a...asons_pets.htm
http://veganmeans.com/Hot_Topics/ANIMALS_AS_PETS.htm

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting articles. I actually had no idea that dogs fair well on a vegan diet. I did know about cats, though.

My sister and I used to own a cat about 10 years ago (an adorable and somewhat rascally and friendly long-hair black cat named Sylvester) and I recall that my sister, a vegetarian, tried for a short time to get our cat on a vegetarian (not vegan) diet - i.e., no meat or fish. He turned his nose up at it so we went back to giving him meat-heavy cat food. But then, he was a picky cat, as he totally broke the myth that cats like milk. Our cat did not like milk at all. But then, it wasn't the first myth he broke. Cats aren't supposed to like water either but our cat used to run to the cleaning woman when she was mopping the floor and roll around in the water and get in the bathtub when we were trying to take a bath .

Tam
#3 Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Beginner

well, most cats I've delt with don't like milk much, they will have a bit of heavy cream, but not milk. and it's not very good for them so. I'm going to get cats, I will never force a vegetarian diet on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay View Post

But then, he was a picky cat, as he totally broke the myth that cats like milk. Our cat did not like milk at all. But then, it wasn't the first myth he broke. Cats aren't supposed to like water either but our cat used to run to the cleaning woman when she was mopping the floor and roll around in the water and get in the bathtub when we were trying to take a bath .

Tam

I believe that cats are actually intolerant to milk - it can give them the scoots (not to put to fine a point on it ). My cat loves cream, but only gets it as a very special treat (at Christmas, normally). And I stayed with a family in Switzerland for a period who had two cats who would drink water from the bathroom sink! And even if the water was soaking them and their fur, they didn't mind at all! Haha!

Twitter: @peters_muppet

Disney. Travel. Languages. Comedy. Film. Vegetarianism.

Believe...
#5 Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

i feed my dog food containing meat and have been feeling guiltyish everytime i feed her, but I don't know how to transition her. im very interested in doing so
#6 Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

you just have to gradually switch a dog over, say 3/4 of normal food to 1/4 new food for a week then go 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then 1/4-3/4 third week then full new food. Most of the veg dog foods can be found in pet supply stores.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#7 Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Banned

is it more expensive?
I'm going to go to the pet supply store to look into it, but I'm on a budget.
#8 Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

is it more expensive?
I'm going to go to the pet supply store to look into it, but I'm on a budget.

If you find out a price, could you please pass it along? I'm in the same boat...
#9 Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Banned

sure i'll let you know!
#10 Old 11-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

sure i'll let you know!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page