Is it wrong to eat accidentally purchased animal products? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 PM

to eat an animal product that you bought on accident? I bought some organic whole wheat crackers (expensive), got halfway through the bag and discovered there was some organic milk powder in it. Hate to throw it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

If it doesn't bother you, you could eat them. Or you could give them away. Once it's already bought, it's personal preference...do what feels right.
#3 Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Every time this happens it's a lesson that I really need to read everything (only been vegan 2 months).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

We learn by making mistakes Don't be down on yourself, happens to everyone!
#5 Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Ira
Banned

i think some people will disagree, but i think it isn't wrong. a mistake is a mistake not an intend and throwing it out won't change it
#6 Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Great, thank you. I really wish this country would stop sneaking dairy into every facet of food.
#7 Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmclean View Post

Great, thank you. I really wish this country would stop sneaking dairy into every facet of food.

I do, too. We have a family member with a dairy allergy, so I tend to read ingredient labels carefully.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 AM
The prowling wolf

Don't throw it away if you're not allergic. The animal is already used for this, and half the world has no food. Please just eat it.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#9 Old 11-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd eat it or give it away. I don't like to waste food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd personally give it away or throw it out - but I think it's pretty morally equal either way. If you throw it out, you'll replace it with vegan food so it isn't going to make a difference to any animals, and personally I can't get around the mental barrier of eating something not vegan - and I'd be concerned that if I did I would develop a taste for it. I'd prefer to give it away - but really I think the net effect of half a box of something isn't a big deal, so just do whatever is most comfortable for you.
#11 Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 AM

if you have a bird table, maybe put it on there, crumbled up.

#12 Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 AM
Banned

Agreed, if it's a case of if you don't eat it it's just going into the trash, there's nothing wrong with it, then just make a point to read labels closer the next time. I've done this several times now. And the more people beat themselves up about it, the less likely they are to stay vegan.
#13 Old 11-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I'd personally give it away or throw it out - but I think it's pretty morally equal either way. If you throw it out, you'll replace it with vegan food so it isn't going to make a difference to any animals, and personally I can't get around the mental barrier of eating something not vegan - and I'd be concerned that if I did I would develop a taste for it. I'd prefer to give it away - but really I think the net effect of half a box of something isn't a big deal, so just do whatever is most comfortable for you.

It depends, to me, HOW not-vegan it is. If I just accidentally bought the non-vegan version of something (like crackers), then I'm not worried about developing a taste for it because vegan crackers are commonplace. If it was something that there wasn't a vegan version of at all, and I'd just overlooked the animal ingredient, then I wouldn't eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Vegan Very Metal

I certainly don't think you should eat the rest of the product once you've found out it's not vegan, unless for some reason you are starving to death. Be cheeky, and email the company who manufacture the product, and inform them of your mistake, and ask them why the product isn't vegan, you never know, you might get some sort of refund, but then again, you probably wouldn't.
#15 Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

to eat an animal product that you bought on accident? I bought some organic whole wheat crackers (expensive), got halfway through the bag and discovered there was some organic milk powder in it. Hate to throw it away.

I don't. Once I know it's got animal bits in it I don't want to eat it anymore.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#16 Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

A mistake is a mistake like everyone says, It just teaches you to read the labels better. I'd say to either finish it or give it away. Since the animal product was already used it would be worst to just throw it away, wasting food is never good.
#17 Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

If I am eating something and discover mid way through that it contains animal parts or secretions I stop eating it. Once I discover that it contains these ingredients it is no longer apppetizing to me.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#18 Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

I feel as though what I would personally do isn't important.
Either way the damage is done. So whatever you feel is right just do :]
you dont need our opinions, just be careful next time and don't beat yourself up over it!
#19 Old 11-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Just learn from your mistake and avoid repeating. Even after you read the ingredients and bought the food, please read the ingredients before opening a box (or bag) full or crackers to be extra sure it's vegetarian. If the cracker has milk and egg ingredients then DO NOT open it and give it back to the store, which is why you should keep your receipt.

I bought a brand of veggie cheese called "Veggie Shreds" and I read the back and assumed it was all vegetarian. When I was about to open it, I saw that it had soy and milk as there was a command between the two words. I didn't open it and I still had the receipt and so I was able to get my refund.
#20 Old 11-04-2011, 05:25 PM

I wouldn't eat it. Why not give it away? I have unknowingly bought non-vegan things and just give them to my co-workers. Feed them to the birds like someone said.
#21 Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i think some people will disagree, but i think it isn't wrong. a mistake is a mistake not an intend and throwing it out won't change it

I agree with this. If it were meat, than no. I once did this with some cookies that had a trace of dairy. I accidentally grabbed the frosted variety instead of the non-frosted vegan ones. I didn't even notice until I opened the package. I did eat them. I had no one else to give them to and I'm not comfortable sharing things at work. Throwing them in the garbage would have solved nothing. They were open and I was not able to return them.

Don't worry about it. Every little mistake is a learning experience.
#22 Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

i wouldn't and couldn't knowingly eat something that contains animal products. i'd try to give it away or throw it out.
#23 Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Banned

Quote:

Tell me!

I shop at ASDA and they have a very good 'meat free' section.

Dairy and/or egg free though ...

Barely, in the 'meat free' section, one damn single thing
#24 Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not really sure what the reasoning is behind not eating them - you already bought them and opened them, so the "damage" is done. If you have someone you can give it to, that could work. I'm not sure how successful I would be at giving away an open package of crackers, though. When people try to give that sort of stuff to me, I usually accept, put it in the cupboard, forget about it, and throw it away a year later. I would continue eating them.

I certainly wouldn't eat something with meat in it, but accidentally ingesting some dairy doesn't bother me.
#25 Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Beginner

The damage is already done, so morally, giving them away or eating them is about the same. Personally I couldn't knowingly eat something nonvegan, so I'd give them away once I found out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page