Animal Rights and Atheism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 PM

I am sorry if anyone else has posted about this but I have noticed most people involved in animal rights or are vegan/vegetarian are atheist. I myself am an atheist ,but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

You said "most people involved in animal rights or are vegan/vegetarian are atheist"

I don't think that's actually true. I think most people involved in animal rights or are vegan/vegetarian are theists. Just think about it - most people are theists. Some people are even veg*n for religious reasons.

I do think that a higher percentage of people involved in animal rights are atheist than the percentage of people UNinvolved in animal rights. I think that has to do with education level and willingness to be different.
#3 Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Most people I've talked to in different christian churches don't value animal lives. They say that saving human souls is most important, and animals, well, sucks for them. I think among the conservative branch of western religions there will be the least amount of animal supporters, with more atheists being kind. Among more moderate and liberal branches of religions it is different I am willing to bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

^I'm Christian, and I value animal's lives over humans.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#5 Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 PM

Many times I have heard the bible used as justification for eating meat, fur, etc. Because in Christianity's creation myth it says that men rule over the animals that god has provided for resources. This argument is invalid though because Im sorry to say but Adam and Eve and all that is kinda silly and didn't happen.

And since Atheist don't have these silly myths in there way they can clearly see that animals feel pain, think, form relationships, and stuff like that. Plus I saw a poll on here and like 60 percent of the people who polled were atheist/agnostic.
#6 Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Beginner

Well, I'm an atheist. I'm not sure if I've noticed a particular trend in terms of animal rights involvement correlating with atheism, but both veg*nism and atheism go against societal norms, so if there is a correlation of any sort that could be a reason. Thinking outside of the conventional box in one aspect of life might branch over to another.
#7 Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 AM

The Bible and other religous texts are a look back in time, from what I have seen from my debates most vegans don't like to think of humanity in our past context, because it really was a kill of die situation back than for many people. In the case of the Bible it actualy does make several good cases for a vegan diet. The very first people Adam and Eve lived on only plants until after they sinned and corrupted Gods perfect creation, if that is not making a case for veganism I don't know what is. And Daniel chose to abstain from any meat while in the service of his king dispite a huge amout of pressure to conform. There are also several great examples in the Bible about the humane treatment and even respect for anamals, yes even the ones that were for food. That does sound weird in a modern context where we don't HAVE to kill to survive, but that was often the way of life back then. So while a higher then avarage percentage of vegans are probably atheist, belief in the Bible is not contrary to vegan views, if anything it supports them as a more ideal way of life. That is one of the reasons I took up my recent vegan challange.
#8 Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Impeach the gangster

OAHSPE is a modern religious text that teaches veganism. It led me to it.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#9 Old 10-09-2011, 03:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegteen View Post

I am sorry if anyone else has posted about this but I have noticed most people involved in animal rights or are vegan/vegetarian are atheist. I myself am an atheist ,but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Hare Krishna, Jain, Buddhist, Hindhu, Seventh Day Adventist (I think?) and more ...

Animal rights is pretty much a religion, a criticaly flawed one, in it's own right, btw.

The only true way to end animal (which includes humans) suffering lies in the educating of humanity that each individual harms him/her self, ultimately, when they do any other living being a 'wrong'.

No 'rights' are needed once wrong doing ceases, kinda thing.
#10 Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Animal rights is pretty much a religion, a criticaly flawed one, in it's own right, btw

how is it a religion?
#11 Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I have noticed that atheists tend to be quite liberal and liberals tend to be more open to animal rights.
#12 Old 10-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

I wouldn't say animal rights is a religion, but I could see it as a philosophy.
#13 Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I wouldn't say animal rights is a religion, but I could see it as a philosophy.

Yes I agree and I am a strong Bible Believer Christian however, I also as a Christian are called to look after the animals, the environment and those around us and help those around me and fight for those that don't have a voice. Those churches that teaches that God gave us animals to eat and to not have animal lives less important then humans are not fully pro life that they preach on, they rather have people have human babies while they are suffering themselves. I'll stop there because I need to think what else I want to say.
#14 Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

I'm absolutely not an atheist and I believe very strongly in animal rights
#15 Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegteen View Post

Many times I have heard the bible used as justification for eating meat, fur, etc. Because in Christianity's creation myth it says that men rule over the animals that god has provided for resources.

The Bible states that humans have dominion over the animals in the story of Genesis after God creates Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden.

Although I myself believe in the theory of evolution, there are some vegans and animal rights activists who do believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible. These individuals would point out that according to the literal interpretation of Genesis, no animal ever died in the Garden of Eden. Therefore, in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve and all the animals were vegans.

In this context, the phrase "dominion over the animals" could not have referred to killing and eating them. Many would argue that "dominion" is more accurately interpreted as "stewardship" rather than tyranny. Furthermore, since the Garden of Eden represents the highest ethical ideal, some people who believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible interpret this to mean that veganism is the highest ethical ideal.

http://ar.vegnews.org
(My animal rights FAQ)
#16 Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 PM

I for one do believe the literal interpretation of Genisis. Gods perfect creation had no suffering and no death, shame humanity had to screw it up, come to think of it we are still screwing it up and we don't even show remorse for our actions. The "savage" Native Americans understood the importance of the ballance of man and nature thousands of years ago, and yet we in our modern time still don't have a clue. People are recorded living well over 100 years surviving on all natural diets with no modern health care and now many of us in our 30s and youger need powerful medications just to get out of bed in the morning. Makes you wounder how much "progress" we have actualy made as a species. We sure have not become any more humane or rational.
#17 Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Vegetarianism was exclusively associated with religion until fairly recently. The first health-only (no religious or spiritual aspect) vegetarian I know of wrote in the 18th century. You don't see significant atheist writing about vegetarianism until the end of the 19th. The Vegetarian Society was in part founded by members of the Bible Christian Church, and the society's survival during its early years was dependent on BCC.

So any correlation seen between vegetarianism and atheism today is an anomaly given the 2600 or so year history of ethical vegetarianism. In Western society today they probably are often advocated by the same individual because of they share a common appeal (progressive, fresh thinking, whatever) rather than any inherent connection.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#18 Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 AM

I am a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian and a large portion of us are vegetarian, for multiple reasons, mostly related to health and for me personally, for forgoing the suffering of animals.

The Bible is consistent with a vegetarian diet for many reasons. Yes, there have been examples of men and women of faith eating fish and meat throughout the Bible, including the apostles. God gave the Israelites specific instructions on what meats were healthy and what meats weren't. But this is in the context of a fallen world - which means a world tainted with sin. The ground is cursed (Genesis 3:17-19) and everything is degraded; the nutritional content of plants is likely not as it once was in a perfect world. Before sin, all humans and animals thrived on a vegan diet (Genesis 1:29-30). There was no death. Now, animals must seek the flesh of other animals to maintain nutrition. Dr. Veith, a zoologist, has talked in depth about the scientific evidence for this in his lecture series The Genesis Conflict. Human beings choose to eat meat both because some believe it is important to health, as well including simply to gratify our appetites. Unfortunately, as sin is degrading everything in this world in these last days, meat is becoming less safe to eat. Eating meat, for example, has been linked to increased rates of heart disease and cancer.

God cares a lot about what we put into our bodies. A healthy body is a healthy mind. See Daniel 1:8-13, 1 Corinthians 6:19, 3 John 1:2.

The good news, for those of us who feel the pain of living in a world where innocent animals have to suffer, is that there will be an end to this, and this end is coming soon. In Christ's kingdom, everyone will be vegetarian. There will be no more suffering of animals or of people (Isaiah 65:25). This is how God designed it. The reason he hasn't stopped it a long time ago, is that he loves human beings above all other creatures, because we are made in his image, and he is patiently striving with us until all might have a chance to learn of his love for them, so that we might not perish, but have eternal life.
#19 Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

The Bible states that humans have dominion over the animals in the story of Genesis after God creates Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden.

Although I myself believe in the theory of evolution, there are some vegans and animal rights activists who do believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible. These individuals would point out that according to the literal interpretation of Genesis, no animal ever died in the Garden of Eden. Therefore, in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve and all the animals were vegans.

In this context, the phrase "dominion over the animals" could not have referred to killing and eating them. Many would argue that "dominion" is more accurately interpreted as "stewardship" rather than tyranny. Furthermore, since the Garden of Eden represents the highest ethical ideal, some people who believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible interpret this to mean that veganism is the highest ethical ideal.

Well said. This stewardship also applies to the Earth, our home.
#20 Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Vegetarianism was exclusively associated with religion until fairly recently. The first health-only (no religious or spiritual aspect) vegetarian I know of wrote in the 18th century. You don't see significant atheist writing about vegetarianism until the end of the 19th. The Vegetarian Society was in part founded by members of the Bible Christian Church, and the society's survival during its early years was dependent on BCC.

So any correlation seen between vegetarianism and atheism today is an anomaly given the 2600 or so year history of ethical vegetarianism. In Western society today they probably are often advocated by the same individual because of they share a common appeal (progressive, fresh thinking, whatever) rather than any inherent connection.

I don't believe this to be true, as Sacrates was a vegetarian about 400 BC.
#21 Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlumpetq View Post

I am a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian and a large portion of us are vegetarian, for multiple reasons, mostly related to health and for me personally, for forgoing the suffering of animals.

I'd try to convince you to go vegan to truly stop animal suffering , but im not an Apostle.

"You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before its time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage."
#22 Old 10-10-2011, 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=phlumpetq;3010018]
In Christ's kingdom, everyone will be vegetarian. /QUOTE]

I guess Christ too can't imagine giving up cheese?

"You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before its time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage."
#23 Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post

I'd try to convince you to go vegan to truly stop animal suffering , but im not an Apostle.

I am vegan.
#24 Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=Cerulean;3010024]
Quote:

In Christ's kingdom, everyone will be vegetarian. /QUOTE]

I guess Christ too can't imagine giving up cheese?

Actually, there's no mention of eating cheese in the new kingdom in the Bible. I invite you to come find out for yourself. I know you won't be disappointed. . God is not the author of suffering. Because there will be no suffering in any form, I trust that whatever will be eaten will be free of that too.
#25 Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

This has been used on me by my sister, who was 'born again' several years ago.

I am not a believer in any religion, but about a year ago when I became vegetarian, I started becoming thoughtful about balance in life, and harmony. Being vegan has only furthered that thoughtfulness and made me think about my role in the world with regards to spirituality. I am not subscribing to any disciplined religion, but it has opened my eyes a bit to how I can become part of that balance. So I feel that veganism has had the opposite effect on me- I am no longer athiest, I do believe in something now, or at least am trying to figure that out.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#26 Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

This has been used on me by my sister, who was 'born again' several years ago.

I am not a believer in any religion, but about a year ago when I became vegetarian, I started becoming thoughtful about balance in life, and harmony. Being vegan has only furthered that thoughtfulness and made me think about my role in the world with regards to spirituality. I am not subscribing to any disciplined religion, but it has opened my eyes a bit to how I can become part of that balance. So I feel that veganism has had the opposite effect on me- I am no longer athiest, I do believe in something now, or at least am trying to figure that out.

Mollycakes, I can relate. Before I became a Christian, I was a vegan. I was, since that time, very affected emotionally by suffering in the world in general. I think when we think about being vegan, we think about our role in the world and how our actions impact others. Becoming vegan was one of the first steps in my search for understanding of why there is so much suffering in this world, which eventually led me to work in a homeless shelter/mission, surrounded by people who witnessed to me of the love of God, which even though I was raised in a church, had never truly known before. And now I continue my vegan lifestyle out of respect for animals.
#27 Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:

I am vegan.

That's great.

Are there many other vegans in your church community?

#28 Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=phlumpetq;3010027]
Quote:

Actually, there's no mention of eating cheese in the new kingdom in the Bible. I invite you to come find out for yourself. I know you won't be disappointed. . God is not the author of suffering. Because there will be no suffering in any form, I trust that whatever will be eaten will be free of that too.

God meant true vegetarianism.? Most people flying that flag still use animals.

#29 Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:

That's great.

Are there many other vegans in your church community?

Yes and no. In my small church, a lot of the members are vegan. In fact, we have delicious vegan potlucks twice a month! yum! It depends what specific church you go to. Some members still eat meat, others are lacto-veg or lacto-ovo-veg. We try to be a good example of health and do community health expos with food samples. If you were in Mass. I'd totally give you an invite.
#30 Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Molly cakes you don't have to have a religion or a Church community to believe in a high power or God whatever you want to put it, just live your life to the fullest and live in Peace and Harmony with everyone. I wish I made this change a few years ago because if I did I would not of lost a friend of mine. I used to be a very judgmental holier then thou Christian however I am leaving that behind and going into progressive Christianity.
I also believe there was Vegeterians back in the B.C times as well because ,thats how I am thinkin right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page