Closed Threads:What Does It Say? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
***
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Identity_thief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,707
I think the closed threads say human beings in general cannot always either gauge what is respectful, or be respectful whilst posting anonymously on a forum. I don't think it has a lot to do with vegans. Forums that are very lenient often become unpleasent places to spend time on(in?), because on the internet there is no real backlash from being unpleasent or insensitive, and generally communicating online can lead to people being harsher because you cannot gauge if you're upsetting someone, or other peoples reactions in general. Forums that become very strict, can become very fustrating and boring.

I think veggieboards has the balance right, in my experience of forums. Things are sensored quicker on support forums, because their purpose is to support eachother rather than to debate. It's pretty easy to forget that, I often do to be honest.
Identity_thief is offline  
#3 Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
***
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
dormouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,609
We generally close threads because they get too hostile and hateful, not because of their controversial subject matter. It's the Internet equivalent of getting people to just "walk away" from an argument for a little while, because sometimes as things drag on they get very heated, unpleasant, and more and more reports start coming in to us about personal attacks and such.

In the last instance, it was out of sensitivity to the OP, whose father was dying and clearly didn't intend to start a debate.
dormouse is offline  
#5 Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
***
GhostUser is offline  
#6 Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
***
GhostUser is offline  
#7 Old 10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
AlixJ18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,196
They also can be closed just by going off topic too much, so it's not always disrespect.
AlixJ18 is offline  
#8 Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,983
On some message boards, moderators have a higher comfort level with discord than the moderators here. On other moderated forums where I post, disrespect isn't considered a reason for closing a thread. Nor does it matter if the subject takes on a life of its own, veering and staying off the original topic. Or if OP has abandoned the thread. I understand sensitivity to how newcomers might construe some of the arguments. But seriously, anyone getting into animal rights or veganism will encounter scathing discord pretty soon. It's part of the territory and part of the education: what the different sides say, how much sense they make to you personally, the kinds of personalities you'll encounter, which ones seem unhinged, which ones might be trolls, which ones just think you're an idiot, how to examine your own beliefs and stake out and defend your own position -- or change your own position, for that matter. Banning hateful exchange here can appear to mean "we'd really hate for people to get the right idea."

It's the moderators who do the work, and it's up to the moderators to decide when to lock. On message boards where I've moderated, I very seldom locked a thread. The few times I did, it felt like a sore defeat and a little like a death. Nearly always, threads under threat of being locked are also the most active threads on a forum, the most invigorating, stimulating exchanges going on at the time. For me, it took a toxic form of piling-on with bullying overtones, or threats of physical harm to justify locking. And it always followed warnings to individuals on both sides of the fracas. I've never seen discord at that level on VB, certainly nothing that was ever lobbed my way.
Joan Kennedy is offline  
#9 Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Beginner
 
xplan303ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 168
I don't think there's much into it. It says that there's quite a few interested in telling others they are more vegan than them. Pretty simple.

http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rights in Colombia)


I support freedom of thought: Everyone has the right to be wrong.
xplan303ex is offline  
#10 Old 10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplan303ex View Post

I don't think there's much into it. It says that there's quite a few interested in telling others they are more vegan than them. Pretty simple.

It's more like "I'm vegan and you're not." But still, so what? In what other group do the group's hard-liners get to set the parameters for the larger group? They might think something, might even say something, but that doesn't make it so. People by nature define themselves and don't readily give others permission to tell them what they are. So fights break out whenever it comes up. It's not an issue that will ever get resolved by closing threads. It's part of the territory here that newcomers learn to navigate if they're going to stick around. Then again, so is the closing of threads.
Joan Kennedy is offline  
#11 Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplan303ex View Post

I don't think there's much into it. It says that there's quite a few interested in telling others they are more vegan than them. Pretty simple.

No it doesn't. This is just the favored excuse for people who feel guilty about not looking like they do as much as others. Folk who know deep down whether or not they are copping out are so busy judging themselves they think everyone else is too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#12 Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBerry View Post

In the very short time I have been registered on VeggieBoard, two threads have been closed by Moderators on the basis that they had become just "my veganism is better than yours", round-and-round, arguments.

What does this say?

It says:

1) Moderators should be more honest about the real reason why those threads were closed.

2) Blobbenstein should stop posting naked pictures of himself into threads in the vegan support forum.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#13 Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Beginner
 
xplan303ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

No it doesn't. This is just the favored excuse for people who feel guilty about not looking like they do as much as others. Folk who know deep down whether or not they are copping out are so busy judging themselves they think everyone else is too.

Great, you are going to get the thread locked now! But I guess I disagree, the sheer amount of replies in the 'Veganism is not a competition' thread wasn't just people imagining others being judgmental or misunderstanding. There were people openly saying they were judging others because they didn't consider them to be vegan. But, to each their own. In my case you can go ahead and call me whatever you want, it's not like I give a crap anyway. Others don't like it, just like others like to see who has the biggest vegan dick. I say let everyone be and not close any threads, people will grow tired or not, who am I to decide how others waste their time?

http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rights in Colombia)


I support freedom of thought: Everyone has the right to be wrong.
xplan303ex is offline  
#14 Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBerry View Post

In the very short time I have been registered on VeggieBoard, two threads have been closed by Moderators on the basis that they had become just "my veganism is better than yours", round-and-round, arguments.

What does this say?

That was not the reason I stated when I closed that thread a few days ago, so I guess you must be thinking of other threads. Would you mind stating which threads you're talking about?

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#15 Old 10-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Pirate Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London
Posts: 2,950
It means that we're fed up of talking about it : p
Pirate Ferret is offline  
#16 Old 10-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
I suspect you are referring to the "Giving up Veganism during a Difficult time thread", which I closed citing the "I'm more vegan than you" reason.

When threads just disintegrate into unwinnable battles, there doesn't seem to be much reason to keep them open, imo. And when we've had a number of reports on a particular thread, we tend to think of them as problematic, and they're more likely to be scrutinized. Also, in that particular case, the thread was started in a support forum - where we try to keep things helpful. Perhaps a better choice might have been to split off the thread and put the new section in the Compost Heap, but that option didn't cross my mind at the time.

If a thread is closed before you think it's finished, feel free to pm a mod - we can reverse a closure. And you can always start a new thread if the old one went off topic. Seriously, if you think a mistake a has been made, or a thread closed prematurely - let us know.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#17 Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Scorpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pluto (the planet)
Posts: 6,741
OR.....it means that a thread has reached 5,000 posts. Because everyone knows that VB will spontaneously combust if threads reach over 5,000 posts.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"


www.animal-adoptions.org

Scorpius is offline  
#18 Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Eugene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,914
Perhaps in the future, threads can be moved to the Compost Heap, rather than being closed.

I can see why such threads are detrimental in the Vegan Support Forum, where new people are first coming to Veggieboards, and are trying to find out if they are interested in becoming a vegan.

But I don't see this so much of a problem in the Compost Heap, which is specifically designed for heated discussions. I think that heated discussions have their usefulness too.

http://ar.vegnews.org
(My animal rights FAQ)
Eugene is offline  
#19 Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
penny79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,946
I don't think you can intelligently read into other than to say that a moderator decided to close it due to too many violations of the TOS or posts became repetitious.
penny79 is offline  
#20 Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,529
Lol, way to start another thread like the ones you are tLking about OP, only with a conniving title.
KrisMTL is offline  
#21 Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

No it doesn't. This is just the favored excuse for people who feel guilty about not looking like they do as much as others. Folk who know deep down whether or not they are copping out are so busy judging themselves they think everyone else is too.

I agre 10000% with this. Thank you SE.
KrisMTL is offline  
#22 Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Eugene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,914
I have a feeling that virtually everyone here gets along fine with the meat eaters they know in real life (otherwise they wouldn't be able to function in society), but when trying to deal with their fellow veg*ns on VB, all hell breaks loose.

http://ar.vegnews.org
(My animal rights FAQ)
Eugene is offline  
#23 Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Beginner
 
mountainhugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 162
Shouldn't this thread be moved to Community Assistance?

/ducks
mountainhugger is offline  
#24 Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Move of Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplan303ex View Post

I don't think there's much into it. It says that there's quite a few interested in telling others they are more vegan than them. Pretty simple.

No it doesn't. This is just the favored excuse for people who feel guilty about not looking like they do as much as others. Folk who know deep down whether or not they are copping out are so busy judging themselves they think everyone else is too.

I believe you are both wrong.

The fact that I defend wearing an old pair of leather shoes has nothing to do with guilt or being judged, because I don't wear them. The fact that I argue someone using the word vegetarian "wrong" isn't a big deal has nothing to do with guilt, because I don't eat fish or chicken.

On the other side, I don't think those arguing the opposite are trying to say "I'm more vegan than you". Even some vegetarians will chime in about how they eat honey, but someone who eats it shouldn't call themself vegan.
Move of Ten is offline  
#25 Old 10-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I believe you are both wrong.

The fact that I defend wearing an old pair of leather shoes has nothing to do with guilt or being judged, because I don't wear them. The fact that I argue someone using the word vegetarian "wrong" isn't a big deal has nothing to do with guilt, because I don't eat fish or chicken.

On the other side, I don't think those arguing the opposite are trying to say "I'm more vegan than you". Even some vegetarians will chime in about how they eat honey, but someone who eats it shouldn't call themself vegan.

Just because it may not apply to you doesn't make what I said about self judgment wrong. Each individual tends to be their own worst critic.

And...
You got those quotes mixed up.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#26 Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Move of Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Just because it may not apply to you doesn't make what I said about self judgment wrong. Each individual tends to be their own worst critic.

But your viewpoint is still personalizing and assuming ulterior motives just as much as the "they just want to tell everyone they're more vegan" viewpoint is.

Quote:
And...
You got those quotes mixed up.

Fixed, sorry.
Move of Ten is offline  
#27 Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

But your viewpoint is still personalizing and assuming ulterior motives just as much as the "they just want to tell everyone they're more vegan" viewpoint is.

No, it's an observation of human nature.
VeganD likes this.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#28 Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I don't think you can intelligently read into other than to say that a moderator decided to close it due to too many violations of the TOS or posts became repetitious.

Indeed. Two closed threads (or is it just one?) is not evidence of a trend.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#29 Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Lol, way to start another thread like the ones you are tLking about OP

I was thinking the same thing ...

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#30 Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
offthahook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBerry View Post

In the very short time I have been registered on VeggieBoard, two threads have been closed by Moderators on the basis that they had become just "my veganism is better than yours", round-and-round, arguments.

If this was my board, I would leave them open because thread closures are board killers in my opinion.
I really discourage closures on my own board, but I believe that if a board has a 'no closure' policy, it also needs to have a different style of moderation than the one that is favored by the admin here. However, it's not my board so I go by the rules that are in place. When I'm sick of them I will probably leave.

auto correct can kiss my ask
offthahook is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off