Pet Food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I just read in another thread (but didn't want to hijack) that its not considered vegan to give my dogs food that has meat in it.

I kind of agree with that to some extent- but does that make ME not a vegan? What is the consensus on that- I am just curious?

I still consider myself vegan because I abstain from all animal products. As well as make strides to change my family from vegetarian to vegan. Because my son drinks milk, does that make ME not vegan anymore? Kind of the same thing, thats where I am confused here.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

My cats eat meat. They are not vegan. Species' evolution as carnivores has nothing to do with me.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I just read in another thread (but didn't want to hijack) that its not considered vegan to give my dogs food that has meat in it.

I kind of agree with that to some extent- but does that make ME not a vegan? What is the consensus on that- I am just curious?

I still consider myself vegan because I abstain from all animal products. As well as make strides to change my family from vegetarian to vegan. Because my son drinks milk, does that make ME not vegan anymore? Kind of the same thing, thats where I am confused here.

Most vegan cat owners on here give their cats meat, I consider myself a vegan and I give both my cat and my dog food with meat in it, because its not for me to play mad scientist with their bodies, and vegan dog food is difficult as hell to get, expensive, and my dog won't eat it.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Most vegan cat owners on here give their cats meat, I consider myself a vegan and I give both my cat and my dog food with meat in it, because its not for me to play mad scientist with their bodies, and vegan dog food is difficult as hell to get, expensive, and my dog won't eat it.

Same here. It's a miracle I can even get my pug to eat the food he eats now, and that one's expensive enough and it's specially designed for Pugs' specially shaped jaws, I'm sure I couldn't even find a vegan equivalent specially made for Pugs even if I wanted to.
#5 Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

You are vegan. Your cat and your son are not. Personally I think anyone who tries to make a cat vegan is a little nuts.
#6 Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I consider myself a vegan, but my cats are not. I do not believe it would be fair (as carnivores) to force a vegan diet on them. I hate the idea of supporting pet food companies and feel guilty doing so, but I have a responsibility to my cats to provide them with the healthiest food I can afford. Perhaps my future rescues will be animals such as rabbits, which will be easier for me to feed without a guilty conscious.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#7 Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM

I don't understand why some people believe you're not vegan if you feed your animals meat.
They're different species than we are. Cats for example require completely different nutrition than humans.
I think making dogs vegetarian can be okay (but I would never advise it), not vegan though.
And cats, if you feed your cat a vegan diet, I believe it's cruelty. I believe the best thing you can do is try to support organic and free-range pet foods.
#8 Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Is it ok for a vegan to buy new leather boots for his or herself?
Is it ok for a vegan to buy new leather boots for his or her friends?
Is it ok for a vegan to buy meat for his or her pets?
Is it ok for a vegan to have pets?
Is it ok for a vegan to drive a car?
How much is too much? How little is too little? Where is the balance?

. . . wasn't there a pet super-thread a while back?
#9 Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Yes, you are still a vegan. Your vegan diet is yours, not your animal's.

Although I have heard you can have a very healthy vegan diet for animals.

www.TheAnimalRightsBlog.com
#10 Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Like my son, my dogs are super picky eaters and we found one food that they will both actually eat (for a while we were spending $40 a month on each of them, 2 different foods). I would like to go and find some organic, less cruel options- it is my intention to do so as a new vegan, but if they don't take to it, I will not starve or force them for my ideals. That is cruel in my eyes.

As a caregiver, its tough for me to draw the line, because I am the one making the choice, I am the one going to the shelf to buy it and take it home, and give it to my dogs, kids. This is where I struggle with my son and milk. I have tried many alternatives, and am still plugging away at that effort, he won't budge on his whole milk and I need him to gain weight. So this is my reasoning. Does that make me a perfect vegan? No. But it makes me the best vegan I can be. My kids and animals needs will always come before my ideals and that is something I feel comfortable with.

I am finding my way as a new vegan, and each day a new thought crosses my mind- something to work on, something to think about, and something else that needs to change. Now I feel like I am slipping into my personal identity as a vegan, and finding what I feel comfortable with. Its nice to have this community to turn to to toss ideas around. Thank you.

If there was a thread a while ago about this, I'm sorry- I couldn't find one. I can try harder to search next time, but would it be weird dragging up old threads?

#11 Old 09-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

^Molly-
Have you tried giving your son flavored milks? Like Chocolate or Vanilla Soy/Almond milks? Around the holidays they even have Chocolate Peppermint, Pumpkin Spice and Eggnog flavors!
#12 Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

^Molly-
Have you tried giving your son flavored milks? Like Chocolate or Vanilla Soy/Almond milks? Around the holidays they even have Chocolate Peppermint, Pumpkin Spice and Eggnog flavors!

I was wondering the same thing - is it better to give my daughters chocolate soy milk or regular cow's milk? They will not drink regular soy milk.

As for the original question, I only have a cat and would not put my cat on a vegan or vegetarian diet. I do not think it would be healthy for him.
#13 Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I've spent a ton of money on a sip, then a thrown cup of the following:
Almond milk- chocolate, vanilla, and unsweetened
Hemp milk
Cashew milk
Soy milk- chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, regular
coconut milk
rice milk

is there anything else out there? I would love to try whatever it takes.
what I try to do is offer it to him the new milk in his same cup with a meal. he sips it, says "No" shakes his head, asks for milk. I tell him its milk and he screams and cries, asks for milk and I say- "it is milk! Look Layla is drinking it too!" Then he throws it.
I try again for the next couple meals then get concerned that he isn't drinking anything at all- even water and cave in after a day or two- giving him his whole milk back.
Then he doesn't trust me when I offer him a cup unless he sees what I pour into it. Smart kid. He even knows the difference between 2% and whole milk- he refuses 2% milk.
Its frustrating.
My daughter loves coconut milk. I would love for him to love that too (it would save me money!) but anything would make me jump for joy at this point. My daughter is vegan for the most part at 14 months old. She loves vegan food. I am trying to use her as an example with him - "look- Layla is eating the rice, tofu, mushrooms, and spinach- why don't you try it?"
Even my husband is being won over by all my vegan substitutions and baking. He is doing great and is pretty much there.
My son will be my last lacto vegetarian stronghold!

#14 Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I get angry when I hear it's not vegan to keep cats because they're obligate carnivores.
Cats are domesticated beyond the ability to fend for themselves in most wild conditions. Feral colonies face horrible painful diseases that wild creatures would have immunity towards. They are a product of human interference, and unlike the animals we forcibly breed as food, will breed unchecked. To me, being vegan meant helping them, and that unfortunitly means supplying them with meat.

Where is that lab stuff!!!!!

Keep trying with your son (how old?) I've found Silk Heart healthy is by far the best tasting-very creamy, it is sweetened but my son says it tastes like real milk without the aftertaste of dairy.
He doesn't like Almond Breeze original? Or have you only tried unsweetened? Silk light chocolate is sweetened with stevia.
How about smoothies with fruit?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My dogs have slowly transitioned to a vegan diet. It has been 4 months now and they are doing really well on it! It cleared up one of my girl's allergies. They are both full of energy and very active. I am very careful (as with my food) as to what I feed them. They get lots of quinoa, beans, whole grains, brown rice to supplement the veggies. I use 'Preference' from the Honest Kitchen as foundation.

I would never try and get a cat on a vegan diet tho.

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#16 Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Same here. It's a miracle I can even get my pug to eat the food he eats now, and that one's expensive enough and it's specially designed for Pugs' specially shaped jaws, I'm sure I couldn't even find a vegan equivalent specially made for Pugs even if I wanted to.

im intrigued what food for pugs looks like/why its different. awww bless their little smooshed faces

anyway i feed my cats (and my remaning ferret) meat, since its what cats eat *shrug*
#17 Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM

@mollycakes [ I don't think there should be any question of you being vegan, you seem to draw the line at having to force it upon others which is kind and respectful, you seem to try encourage it in a none forceful way however which is truly the best way forward which i would say would honestly say makes you more vegan if that makes sense

if you've tried so many options (some to be rejected so quickly) perhaps the problem is he isn't giving them a fair consideration because he's been a wee bit stubborn and doesn't want to give up cow milk? maybe you could try bribing him to give it up or rewarding him him for it, if he doesn't want to do it for say the cows or for himself, he might do it for a certain new toy or something he's been wanting as he would have something to gain from it , but good luck anyway i hope you find a solution of some kind]

it's possible to get vegan cat/dog food which contains all the nutrients they need so you won't be taking away vital vitamins and what not (it is fortified with things like peanut oil to get the important stuff from non animal sources) and i believe they are supposed to be healthier just like humans for going vegan in pretty much the same ways too
and you don't have to make a cold switch you could start by mixing a small amount in with regular food to get them used to it and there are probably other hints and tips on the net about help to introduce a new diet, and I believe some people even make their own pet food,

Now this is just my personal opinion on the matter and i understand that people may feel differently but I feel that feeding a dog/cat meat because it's what they are used to, would be biased and not a fair decision, since your favoring what the dog/cat's preference rather then considering how the animals in the meat would feel. If they refuse anything else but regular meat or your unable to provide anything else then it's a little different.
I think if we have the power/means to feed them a vegan diet that causes them no harm then it seems the most logical and ethical decision to me. If they try and they reject it then at least your trying and making an effort but there may still be possible things you could try to help introduce a new diet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page