PETA: What do y'all think about them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 PM

I'm sure this question has been posed but what do you think about People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals?

I never liked them because I feel they're liberal yuppies, I prefer organizations like the humane society and respect the ALF far far more than I ever could PETA. But after reading things from petakillsanimals.com I realized they are straight up frauds. They are concerned way more about profit than animals. They literally spent thousands of donated money on a freezer specifically for carcasses of animals they've killed.

Discuss.

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -Pythagoras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I think sometimes they give veg*ns a bad reputation.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#3 Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I think sometimes they give veg*ns a bad reputation.

With all their naked women with lettuce bras? Or something else?

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -Pythagoras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

They make us look like we're all going on extreme with animal rights and that we're going to run around everywhere with big signs that say things like "MEAT IS MURDER!"

But, trying to get people to go vegan with naked women is weird too.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#5 Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

They make us look like we're all going on extreme with animal rights and that we're going to run around everywhere with big signs that say things like "MEAT IS MURDER!"

But, trying to get people to go vegan with naked women is weird too.

Well if you think they're extreme then what do you think about the ALF?

#6 Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to be a PETA member and dumped my membership when this came out a number of years ago. What struck me was the head of PETA's (can't think of her name right now) response on the news to the allegations. That had been the first I heard of this and flat denial was not in this woman's words.

I too can think of more worthy organizations to support.
#7 Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

What struck me was the head of PETA's (can't think of her name right now) response on the news to the allegations.

I remember that. I'll look for the video.

#8 Old 09-25-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Is Robbery View Post

I'm sure this question has been posed but what do you think about People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals?

I never liked them because I feel they're liberal yuppies, I prefer organizations like the humane society and respect the ALF far far more than I ever could PETA. But after reading things from petakillsanimals.com I realized they are straight up frauds. They are concerned way more about profit than animals. They literally spent thousands of donated money on a freezer specifically for carcasses of animals they've killed.

Discuss.

I would challenge you to do some research on the pro side instead of just listening to the lies put out by a group that serves the needs of the agricultural, pharmeceutical, cigarette and restaurant industry. Really, that is who you choose to believe? That's like me choosing to believe Nazi's on whether or not Jewish people belong to the human race!
#9 Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I think they're the reason vegetarians and vegans have a bad reputation, and why omnis are automatically defensive when they hear someone doesn't eat meat.

ÂAn animalÂs eyes have the power to speak a great language.Â
ÂMartin Buber
#10 Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I think Peta's a big ol' pile of poop.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#11 Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

They annoy me.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#12 Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:

They are concerned way more about profit than animals. They literally spent thousands of donated money on a freezer specifically for carcasses of animals they've killed.

Why?

Flesh is for Zombies! xx
#13 Old 09-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, great, yet ANOTHER anti-PETA thread.

*this space not for sale*
#14 Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Ira
Banned

I like them. They do lots of good and one doesn't have to like all their methods to acknowledge that.

as for them giving us a bad rep...no they don't. If there wasn't PETA the omnis would choose someone else, like ALF or even Huimane Society to make animal rights people to look like nutcases. we shouldn't side with the "enemy" here and let them influence us with their defensiveness and belief that saving animals is "extreme"
#15 Old 09-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

I think Peta's a big ol' pile of poop.

That pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter. A big ol' pile of pit bull poop to be exact.
#16 Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I was a member for 22 years and decided not to renew this year....they do too much I dont agree with and dont wanna support that.

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#17 Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Well if you think they're extreme then what do you think about the ALF?

They (PETA and the ALF) work on two different fronts of the same struggle. PETA acts on advocacy, and for that front their tactics are extreme and very contradicting, like the use of the naked body to 'sell' veganism. The ALF works in direct action, and for what they do their tactics are adequate for what is needed to get the job done. Steven Best wrote an essay for Terrorist or Freedom Fighters that reflects what I'd think is direct action gone extreme, however, as Best describes, heading that way would be caused by increased repression, not by wanting to 'sell' animal liberation to more people.

At the end every organization has positive and negative things. As much as I don't support certain PETA tactics I have to recognize it was their literature that turned me into veganism and I still think their literature is excellent. It's a shame that a lot of people will dismiss the contents of a leaflet because it has the PETA logo on it, which is something the organization should think about, since it's the outcome of the type of tactic I don't support.

http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rights in Colombia)

I support freedom of thought: Everyone has the right to be wrong.
#18 Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

yes they are extreme && i dont 100% agree with everything they do
BUT i give them credit for helping animals.
in fact im wearing a "love me, dont eat me" shirt with a little piggy on it that says PETA2 on it at the moment
& im getting weird looks but IDC (im in college....)
#19 Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I think they're the reason vegetarians and vegans have a bad reputation, and why omnis are automatically defensive when they hear someone doesn't eat meat.

This is mostly what I think of them too. They're certainly a big part of it. The fact that there are many PETA members out there that want to make a positive difference in the world for animals is great, but because of how some of them have gone about certain things a lot of people view all PETA members as extremists, willing to break the law or even put people at risk to rescue animals.

I've never personally met anyone who has similar fears about the Humane Society.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#20 Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM

I personally have never been one for PETA's tactics. As the old saying goes, "You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar." In my opinion, people will listen to our cause more if we use positive outreach. Who would read a brochure with a bloody animal on the front or take people seriously who are protesting nude? No. I think positive is the way to go.

Now, I have to agree that PETA is doing good, and they mean well. They have made many accomplishments in the world of animal rights.

Educating in a nice, positive way is the answer to our cause.

www.TheAnimalRightsBlog.com
#21 Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Vegan Very Metal

I believe PeTA are a positive force, helping to promote animal rights and veganism. Some of their alleged "shock tactics" and "extremism" i don't find offensive.

I am not a member of PeTA, and i don't donate money to them either, but if i did, i would rather give money to PeTA than other campaigning groups because they are more vocal and in the public eye. Other groups using more diplomatic and perhaps placid styles of campaigning, probably wouldn't come to the attention of the public nearly as much.
#22 Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

This is how I see it; feminism was a huge and very important social justice movement in it's heyday and for them to now screw all of that over to advance their own agenda [which now seems like financial rather than animal rights], is beyond appalling to me.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#23 Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

I would challenge you to do some research on the pro side instead of just listening to the lies put out by a group that serves the needs of the agricultural, pharmeceutical, cigarette and restaurant industry. Really, that is who you choose to believe? That's like me choosing to believe Nazi's on whether or not Jewish people belong to the human race!

This. Take anything you read on petakillsanimals with a grain of salt. That website is run by the Center for Consumer Freedom, which gets its money from the tobacco, fast food, factory farming, and puppy mill lobbies. I don't say this to defend PETA. The one thing I respect about PETA is that CCF has them in their sights. CCF also does hatchet jobs on Greenpeace, the Humane Society, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, and some other organizations you might respect and support. If you're against PETA, be against them for what they actually say and do, and not just for the twisted crap petakillsanimals writes about them. PETA might be a joke, but CCF is the Antichrist's evil twin.
#24 Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 AM

PETA has plenty of positives, but they shouldn't try to rescue stray animals if they'll just kill them if they aren't adopted. Then the meat eaters will call them hypocrites, and rightly so. Plus, the whole idea of them trying to sell veganism with sex puts me off a bit, and I have to wonder how effective this tactic really is. How many people have become vegetarians after leaving the vegan strip clubs in Oregon? I wish that was studied...
#25 Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Impeach the gangster

I don't know much about PETA. My impression is, they're bringing the word about veg*nism to many people who might not otherwise think about it. I figure, anyone who promotes AR can't be all bad. I just think of all the male voyeurs who may go veggie, because of them. Even red-blooded perverts can help the cause.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#26 Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

Nope. Omnis get credit for that all on their own. They don't like to have their ethics questioned (whether explicit or implicit) by someone else making a different choice, and advocating for food animals.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#27 Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
But after reading things from petakillsanimals.com I realized they are straight up frauds.

Just to expand a little bit on what Joan said, wonder why Center for Consumer Freedom actively lobbies AGAINST the efforts of Mothers Against Drunk Driving? That kind of gets back to their (not really a 'they' so much as one guy and a PR firm he happens to run) roots as a pretend consumer group formed to lobby against smoking bans. They've since branched into other areas that may impact this industry. They don't talk about euthanasia because they actually worry about that issue - they're just looking to undermine a group that might influence meat consumption.

And it's similar with MADD - attempting to undermine a group that might influence alcohol consumption.

Have they branched in to lobbying for puppy mills? I ask because I seriously can't tell. It sure seems that way though.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#28 Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Can't stand them..

I prefer Viva! and Animal Aid
#29 Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Oh, great, yet ANOTHER anti-PETA thread.

Well, we were due for another one. It had been almost a week since the last one.

--Fromper
#30 Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Seems to me that they use "Animal Rights" to get attention for something else. What that something else is, I'm not sure. Like a group of teens at the mall trying to look cool. That kind of need for attention, maybe.

I also don't like that the media has a limited tolerance for "Animal Rights" type stories and then Peta almost always has to dominate that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page