Backyard hens & roosters - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I wonder if you could spay a chicken or neuter a rooster? Then you could rescue a few ladies and be able to keep them with a rescued male if you could somehow get rescued chickens without them reproducing so fast with the fertilized eggs. I assume a spayed chicken would not lay eggs anymore.

Just FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Nah, but I would encourage anyone getting storebought "cage-free" or "regular factory" eggs to do so, not supporting a hatchery, though - a rescue of some sort.

Personally have no desire to eat eggs.
#33 Old 05-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Banned

ElaineV

Quote:
Those hens and roosters are going to need a lot of stuff - nesting supplies, feed, perching ladders and whatnot. And they need TLC whenever the weather changes or there's an illness or injury. Are you really so in love with eggs that you want to spend that much time, effort, and money to produce "humane" eggs? Might there be something else you enjoy more (like a trip to Paris or a convertible)?

But really, if someone is eating any eggs from their own backyard hens I'm just not going to waste my time on them. There are higher priorities. The millions of factory farmed hens need my advocacy more.

You could say the same thing about owning a dog or a cat. And you know what - that's pretty much how I feel about owning a dog or a cat. Owining a dog or a cat is time consuming. Do I really need companionship so much, that I wan tto spend that much time, effort, and money, to produce a loyal companion? The millions of factory farmed animals need my advocacy more. And there are millions of people who could be my companion, many of whom are able to take care of themselves and don't need to be cared for like children, past childhood and into adulthood and their whole lives.

I was told I mustn't ressurect old thread to talk about chicken anatomy. So I'll start another thread for my poem about chicken anatomy. And physiology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 AM

I think it's great idea for ovo-vegs or meat-eaters to raise their own hens for eggs. My parents seriously thought about getting hens last weekend, but that was only because my mom wants me to eat eggs. I supported them getting the hens (they didn't) because I want THEM to eat their eggs over battery hen eggs or those fishy "free-range" eggs, but I told my mom I wouldn't eat them. I think it's gross to eat eggs.

If I ever, down the line, rescue some bettery hens who are still fertile, I don't know what I'd do with their eggs. Give them to the neighbors, I guess.
#35 Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteracea View Post

I think it's great idea for ovo-vegs or meat-eaters to raise their own hens for eggs. My parents seriously thought about getting hens last weekend, but that was only because my mom wants me to eat eggs. I supported them getting the hens (they didn't) because I want THEM to eat their eggs over battery hen eggs or those fishy "free-range" eggs, but I told my mom I wouldn't eat them. I think it's gross to eat eggs.

If I ever, down the line, rescue some bettery hens who are still fertile, I don't know what I'd do with their eggs. Give them to the neighbors, I guess.

Farm Sanctuary crushes up the eggs and feeds them back to the hens. Then again, the hens they take in need the extra nutrients because they have basically been programmed by the farming industry to flush tons of vital nutrients from their bodies through excessive egg-laying. It might not be the same for common hens.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#36 Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Farm Sanctuary crushes up the eggs and feeds them back to the hens. Then again, the hens they take in need the extra nutrients because they have basically been programmed by the farming industry to flush tons of vital nutrients from their bodies through excessive egg-laying. It might not be the same for common hens.

Chickens have been bred for 1000's of years to produce many times more eggs than their wild relatives, and recent innovations have upped the number even higher. Modern chickens are so divorced from their wild relatives, for so long, that we don't even have a good concept of what wild birds were their wild ancestors. The trail has gone so cold, that the identity of their wild ancestors is a matter that requires focus by scientific investigation, rather than a matter that historians can tell us. For some organisms, we can make a good guess as to what wild relatives we must have bred them from. But not chickens. There is lots of agreement among geneticists, on many husbanded organisms. But not chickens. Geneticists just make hypotheses; there isn't any consensus.

so yes, even before modern factory farming, chickens were passing unnatural numbers of eggs through their cloacas (see the chicken poetry thread).
#37 Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Chickens have been bred for 1000's of years to produce many times more eggs than their wild relatives, and recent innovations have upped the number even higher. Modern chickens are so divorced from their wild relatives, for so long, that we don't even have a good concept of what wild birds were their wild ancestors. The trail has gone so cold, that the identity of their wild ancestors is a matter that requires focus by scientific investigation, rather than a matter that historians can tell us. For some organisms, we can make a good guess as to what wild relatives we must have bred them from. But not chickens. There is lots of agreement among geneticists, on many husbanded organisms. But not chickens. Geneticists just make hypotheses; there isn't any consensus.

so yes, even before modern factory farming, chickens were passing unnatural numbers of eggs through their cloacas (see the chicken poetry thread).

The farming industry is older than factory farming, though. Selective breeding isn't any new concept, for sure.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#38 Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

The farming industry is older than factory farming, though. Selective breeding isn't any new concept, for sure.

That's the same thing I just said. Animal husbandry has produced chickens that lay unnatural numbers of eggs, even before the advent of factory farming.

We generally refer to farming that occurred before factory farming, as just simply farming, or agriculture, rather than as "the farming industry," and until recently farming and industry had long been considered 2 distinct entities. Small family farms in many parts of the world are still not considered an "industry" either, except in the general sense of the word, where any activity we engage in for the purpose of surviving, is "industry."

What did you mean by "common hens" anyway? While some chickens are bred for egg laying, and some for meat production, they are related cultivars, and I suspect that even chickens bred for maximum meat, or their female counterparts (some chicken meat comes from castrated males) produce unnatural numbers of eggs.
#39 Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlironbrave View Post

Since I'm a vegan, I don't eat eggs. Also not eggs from hens from someones backyard, because if everyone buys hens and NO roosters, the roosters are still going to be killed.

My question: what would be against eating eggs that you got from someone who has 50% hens and 50% roosters in his backyard?

Thanks.

No-one has 50% hens and 50% roosters in his backyard. This kind of question is of the same kind as "what would you do if you were on a desert island and there was only a cow to eat".

The questions should be "are animals resources and our property"? "Do we want animal liberation or not?". "Do we want an end to animal exploitation?".

We have a responsiblity to the animals which have unfortunately for them been domesticated over the centuries. But responsibility doesn't mean that we have a right to exploit them.

Okay after all that, let's watch Steven the Vegan again to lighten things up a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpHF2a-IJY

#40 Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Besides all the ethics of using chickens for eggs... Eggs really smell when you cook them.  We never noticed it when we ate eggs but after keeping a vegan kitchen for about a year and a half and rarely going to someone else's house when they'd be cooking dinner, we were pretty shocked by how bad eggs smell when you cook them.  We've got rescue chickens also and we boil their eggs and feed them back to the chickens.  The whole house stinks for about an hour afterwards to us. 

I've had people ask me for our chicken eggs since we don't eat them and I don't give them away because I refuse to encourage people to see them as something to use instead of someone with their own lives to live that deserve to just be left alone for once. I pretty much tell them that, not in those worse exactly but I do explain to them why we don't give away the eggs.  We've taken in chickens to provide them safe and comfortable places to live where they'll get good food, lots of space to roam, healthcare, etc just like we do with our dogs that are also all rescues.  We don't ask anything from the dogs so why would we expect the chickens to do anything either besides be themselves and do their own thing.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#41 Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by affidavit View Post

And it isn't hard to have just one rooster without killing the rest- I gave two of mine away earlier in the year, because I didn't need them fighting with my older rooster and only had a small flock of hen besides. They went to someone who raised that breed of chicken and was worried about his gene pool.

They went to someone who raised them for what?  Pets?  And if not, then aren't you contributing to killing of these animals down the line?

It reminds me of people who say they will drink milk because the cow isn't killed for it.  But there is plenty of death and suffering down the line that that the procurement of that milk is responsible for.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#42 Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't want to start down that slippery slope of thinking of animals as food dispensing machines.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#43 Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

We have two hens, and love them so very much. They eat organic grass clippings from our yard and organic crumble. I also feed them greens from my garden, and healthy leftovers. They have a plush life and are super happy.
#44 Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Just FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capon

er, is it bad to neuter them?..

All we are is dust in the wind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page