Bring your own food for weekend at someone's house? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 AM

Will be staying with BiL & SIL for Labor Day weekend. THey are the worst eaters ever!! Greasy, fatty, meaty junk food. What's a new vegan to do?

Do i just plan on bringing my own food? Last time I was there (pre-veg) we had shrimp alfredo pasta. I can't eat any of that.

And lunch was cold-cuts! With mayo-laden potato salad. Again - - can't eat any of that.

I feel they'll be insulted if i show up with a cooler of food, but what else can i do?

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

When I go to my families' houses, I always bring food. And extra, because lots of omnis like my vegan cookin'

Noone ever gets mad, they may roll their eyes a bit, but my family are big eye-rollers anyway ha.

I usually make a huge spinach salad and some brown rice., and can usually eat sides unless the cook decides to chuck something gross in the green beans, yuck. I bring lots of fruit, much of it cut up as whatever kids are there will always be happy to have local fresh fruit. Little fozen servings of veg chili or whatever soup is easy too. And some hummus , baba gonoush and pitas.

I find if I joke around a little when I get there about being That Obnoxious Vegan Who Needs Food Storage or something silly, it breaks that initial tension that omnis often feel when they have to face up to their gross eating habits.

Have a fun time!
#3 Old 08-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

When I go to my families' houses, I always bring food. And extra, because lots of omnis like my vegan cookin'

Noone ever gets mad, they may roll their eyes a bit, but my family are big eye-rollers anyway ha.

I usually make a huge spinach salad and some brown rice., and can usually eat sides unless the cook decides to chuck something gross in the green beans, yuck. I bring lots of fruit, much of it cut up as whatever kids are there will always be happy to have local fresh fruit. Little fozen servings of veg chili or whatever soup is easy too. And some hummus , baba gonoush and pitas.

I find if I joke around a little when I get there about being That Obnoxious Vegan Who Needs Food Storage or something silly, it breaks that initial tension that omnis often feel when they have to face up to their gross eating habits.

Have a fun time!

Your response is greatly appreciated - - thank you! I will be using your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM

I bring my own food with me nearly everywhere I go. Or perhaps prepare some tasty dishes, potluck style, that all can enjoy.

If you had a food allergy you would not hesitate to look after yourself in this way.

I don't know why we veggies feel like we are imposing by creating less work for our host/hostesses.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#5 Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

We packed a cooler whenever we went anywhere for years. It was fine, easy. It did feel less connected to the family, but it was worth since since you generally can't trust relatives and their food choices.

Now, seven years in or so, we are finally not bringing food as much. Still all the snacks and whatever weird things they couldn't be expected to have (rice milk, tempeh, things that are not in a typical omni's fridge). But our relatives are getting better too, so it's a joint thing.

For a new vegan it makes sense to bring all your food, that way you get fed and it takes the stress off. Bring enough to share some (especially side dishes, since omnis tend to like their meaty main course anyway) and then maybe you can share whatever sides they have that are vegan.
#6 Old 08-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I would talk to them about it. Let politely them know that you're vegan, you don't expect them to accommodate you, and you hope they don't feel offended if you bring some food (no comments about how you don't like what they eat!). They will probably be relieved, but they may want to try to make some special food for you. Either way, it's better to give some warning so you don't step on any toes.

Oh, and be sure to let them know you're looking forward to spending time with them! If you can bring some sort of vegan treats they might like (cookies, maybe), that might help smooth things over as well.
#7 Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I bring a cooler with food everywhere I go, especially if it's an over-nighter.
#8 Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Will be staying with BiL & SIL for Labor Day weekend. THey are the worst eaters ever!! Greasy, fatty, meaty junk food. What's a new vegan to do?

Do i just plan on bringing my own food? Last time I was there (pre-veg) we had shrimp alfredo pasta. I can't eat any of that.

And lunch was cold-cuts! With mayo-laden potato salad. Again - - can't eat any of that.

I feel they'll be insulted if i show up with a cooler of food, but what else can i do?

TIA.

I always bring my own food, and I don't care if people get insulted. So far, only one family got insulted and they were the worst eaters on the planet, and 300lb, and unwilling to offer me any veg*n dishes, as every had bacon in it (which I believe was a snip at the fact their daughter was dating a jew).

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

I did that about a month ago.
I brough a little lunch bag with my meal in it and no one really thought much of it.
All of the food was meat based anyway so it was understandable.
#10 Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I did that about a month ago.
I brough a little lunch bag with my meal in it and no one really thought much of it.
All of the food was meat based anyway so it was understandable.

Sometimes I feel like omnis go out of their way to put meat in EVERYTHING. The last two get togethers I was at, there was literally nothing meat free. Not even the dip.
#11 Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Just ring them up and have a chat about it.
#12 Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 PM

I would bring my own food. I am staying with a friend for 5 days and I had already told her I was vegan but that I did not expect her to go out of her way to accomodate me and that I would be getting and making my own food and if she wanted to try any of it she was more than welcome to. She took me to Whole Foods and I loaded up with everything I needed. I am at a fitness convention so I fixed me a lunch box with food and snacks to eat throughout each day and it is working out very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page