Is there any type of chocolate that tastes like milk chocolate for vegans? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Beginner

I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate but I love milk chocolate. When I slip up in my diet it's usually due to chocolate.

Like if I want to make s'mores, what chocolate could I use?

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I love chocolate also. I've always been able find plenty of vegan options for my sweet tooth. I like chocolate dream bars. They have a creamy dream bar which has the creaminess of milk cholcolate. I am not sure how easy these are to find. My local health food store carries them. I've also seen a dairy-free 'milk' chocolate by Plamil, but haven't tried it. GoMax makes several choc. candy bars that are similar to popular non-vegan ones. They have a reeses type cup called Cleo's vegan pbtter cups that is the closest to reeses p-butter cup that I've found. Good Luck.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#3 Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Terra Nostra makes an excellent rice milk chocolate bar

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Beginner

Thanks! Will try these

I've seen The chocolate dream ones around, but I haven't tried them.

Chocolate!

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
#5 Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

I was wondering the same thing.
Never really was into dark chocolate, but I enjoy endangered species brand
#6 Old 08-26-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

Thanks! Will try these

I've seen The chocolate dream ones around, but I haven't tried them.

Chocolate!

Defiantly try the Chocolate Dream bars! The Pure Dark bar is great when I want something sweet. I usually go for the more bitter chocolates. (80% + cacao)

http://www.tastethedream.com/products/category/493.php

You'd probably like the "Creamy Sweet" for s'mores!

meow.
Visit my food/blog/tumblr! Thanks
http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/
#7 Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Beginner

OOooo they sound nice! you should post me some to the UK

Nothing is more sexy than compassion
#8 Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

organicnectars.com has a cashew milk chocolate. only one that comes close, IMO
#9 Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

For grocery store brands, I like the Ritter Sport dark chocolate. It's not very "dark" tasting, and is plenty sweet and creamy. Also try the marzipan, if you like almond flavored things.

Chocolate Santander has a very nice semi-dark chocolate that is not too bitter. The bar is thin and would be perfect for s'mores. Chocolove also has a couple of 55% cocoa bars that are just right for me.
#10 Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMetal87 View Post

OOooo they sound nice! you should post me some to the UK

If you're in the UK, you have to try this one: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...ture_100g.html

Absolutely fabulous.

(you can get it at lots of hfs too, and Waitrose)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate

Sounds to me like you just need to develop better taste

If I was where I would be, then I'd be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot.
#12 Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM

I just bought one by Terra Nostra but I haven't tried it yet - it is rice milk chocolate.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of dark chocolate bars over the last few years that I used to buy for being dairy-free that have introduced milk products back into the bars. I am not sure why they do it - but it is good to check the labels from time to time just to make sure they haven't gone through any new formulations that have milk in them!

My Vegan Blog - http://wheretheveggiesare.blogspot.com

Tumblr - http://runouthearts.tumblr.com

#13 Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Beginner

In Australia we have Sweet William which tastes a lot like milk chocolate to me. They even do a white chocolate and it's incredible!
#14 Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Terra Nostra makes an excellent rice milk chocolate bar

I was going to suggest this. It has a nice creamy flavor that tastes like milk chocolate, but it's certified vegan.

*this space not for sale*
#15 Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Guess I'll have to try the Terra Nostra. I 'like' dark chocolate but I am so tired of it. I miss having a plain old Hershey bar/kiss. And what about vegan options for things like Snickers, Milky Ways and Kit Kats...I miss those, too.

*deep breathe* Ok, pity party is over...I found the Harbor Candy Shop (Maine) online...I order from them on rare occasions, as they are quite pricey. Depends on if/when the hubby is employed.
#16 Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Guess I'll have to try the Terra Nostra. I 'like' dark chocolate but I am so tired of it. I miss having a plain old Hershey bar/kiss. And what about vegan options for things like Snickers, Milky Ways and Kit Kats...I miss those, too.

*deep breathe* Ok, pity party is over...I found the Harbor Candy Shop (Maine) online...I order from them on rare occasions, as they are quite pricey. Depends on if/when the hubby is employed.

Have you tried Go Max Go? They make amazing candy bars that are better than the real thing, they don't have Kit Kat yet though

http://www.gomaxgofoods.com/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Have you tried Go Max Go? They make amazing candy bars that are better than the real thing, they don't have Kit Kat yet though

I love their Twilight and Buccaneer candy bars.

I heard Kit Kat makes one flavor that is vegan, it's just very hard to find. It might only come out during certain holidays.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#18 Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I loooove those candy bars!

http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/po...wilight-mahalo

meow.
Visit my food/blog/tumblr! Thanks
http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/
#19 Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Awesome!! I love you! With this selection, I can live without a Kit Kat!
#20 Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG Go Max Go makes Cleo's, which are vegan Reese Peanut Butter Cups and they are sooo good.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#21 Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I don't even care about those, I just miss Twix. Kit Kats I'd like, but Twix were my all-time favorite
#22 Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I don't even care about those, I just miss Twix. Kit Kats I'd like, but Twix were my all-time favorite

#23 Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

You could try making these: Vegan Twix Bars

#24 Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

You could try making these: Vegan Twix Bars

Hmm, maybe I'll try those when I get better at cooking, I just wish there was some sort of store bought version. I know they'd be worth the effort and all, I just can't wait until a company develops vegan twix. I'd buy a box of them in a heartbeat.
#25 Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Hmm, maybe I'll try those when I get better at cooking, I just wish there was some sort of store bought version. I know they'd be worth the effort and all, I just can't wait until a company develops vegan twix. I'd buy a box of them in a heartbeat.

Since Gomaxgofoods is making vegan versions of popular candy bars, maybe you could suggest Twix to them, as one of the ones they veganize. I bet it wouldn't even be that hard for them to do. They already make caramel and the chocolate coating for their other bars. They would just need to come up with the cookie part.

#26 Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Since Gomaxgofoods is making vegan versions of popular candy bars, maybe you could suggest Twix to them, as one of the ones they veganize. I bet it wouldn't even be that hard for them to do. They already make caramel and the chocolate coating for their other bars. They would just need to come up with the cookie part.

Oh nooooo. (or should I say oh yeeesss!) I just went to their website and checked out some retailers. I guarantee, as soon it cools off here in Northern California, I'm placing an order from one of their retailers. Can't wait!
#27 Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Beginner

I have only had the mahalo bars. So good! Takes me back to my happy almond joy days

Speaking of White chocolate...any suggestions? I remember White chocolate being yummy.

Oh and while I'm at it, what about peanut butter cups? I miss those. I tried a vegan one but it was horrible.

#28 Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Beginner

Gomaxgo makes vegan peanut butter cups? I'm so trying those once I can find them!

#29 Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i'm about to look at that site and if it sounds as amazing as you say i'll be sending you the bill
#30 Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Trader Joe's sells wonderful semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips. They're not even advertised as vegan but are 100% vegan! And unlike the $5-$6 bags of vegan chocolate chips you'll find at a health food store, these are around $2 a bag.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sWhGjexAQR...0/IMG_6194.JPG

Please vote for my vegan scholarship essay. Please! It might just bring more vegans into the world.
http://www.wyzant.com/scholarships/v2/essay18789-Highland-IN.aspx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page