Your favorite "go-to" Vegan meal? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Pasta with garlic toast. It's filling, easy, and cheap.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-25-2011, 04:48 AM

Ok, I'm adding Pinto Bean Sloppy Joes with homemade Maple Cole slaw --- had this last night -- so good, so easy.
#33 Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 AM

Cashew Alfredo sauce over pasta or raw veggies..or both depending on how hungry I am. The sauce takes only a few minutes to blend up while the pasta cooks. I'm usually eating within 15 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Nin View Post

Cashew Alfredo sauce over pasta or raw veggies..or both depending on how hungry I am. The sauce takes only a few minutes to blend up while the pasta cooks. I'm usually eating within 15 minutes.

Sounds deicious - - and it only takes a few mins to prepare? Recipe please!!! THanks so much!!
#35 Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Sounds deicious - - and it only takes a few mins to prepare? Recipe please!!! THanks so much!!

Sure. This isn't my recipe, and I forgot where I read it. Probably vegweb.

1/2 cup raw cashews (not roasted)
1 1/2 cups boiling water (best to use starchy pasta-cooking water)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1-3 garlic cloves, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper, to taste

Blend it all up in a food processor until relatively smooth. I've found that soaking the cashews in water for a few hours makes for a smoother sauce.

I omit the boiling water because I like very thick sauce. I've also omitted the nutritional yeast when I was out and the sauce was still delicious.
#36 Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by izjustagirl View Post

I love taking flat bread & rubbing it with olive oil, adding some fresh tomatoes & basil, topped with daiya mozzarella; popped under the broiler for a minute or two...tada....gourmet pizza!

I make this a lot, usually with tomato paste and field roast sausages as well, though. Minus the basil, sometimes with the cheddar daiya. I think it tastes great either way! Mmm

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
#37 Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Beginner

Right now I love mixed frozen veggies with soy sauce and this brown rice made with rice bran oil (something like that, it's the best brown rice I've had though) from trader joes. It's very simple, nothing fancy, but it has been my summer go-to meal.

For a go to snack, I love hot cocoa. Even in the summer lol

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
#38 Old 08-25-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Nin View Post

Sure. This isn't my recipe, and I forgot where I read it. Probably vegweb.

1/2 cup raw cashews (not roasted)
1 1/2 cups boiling water (best to use starchy pasta-cooking water)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1-3 garlic cloves, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper, to taste

Blend it all up in a food processor until relatively smooth. I've found that soaking the cashews in water for a few hours makes for a smoother sauce.

I omit the boiling water because I like very thick sauce. I've also omitted the nutritional yeast when I was out and the sauce was still delicious.

THank you for sharing - - i'm going to give this a try!
#39 Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

Right now I love mixed frozen veggies with soy sauce and this brown rice made with rice bran oil (something like that, it's the best brown rice I've had though) from trader joes.

What exactly is this brown rice thing from TJ's? I've never seen it there before.
#40 Old 08-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

When I can't come up with anything else, I make pasta with creamy sauce - either mac and cheese or alfredo or something in between. It can be tofu- or nutbased, depending on what I have at home. My veggies of choice to accompany this meal are steamed broccoli and green peas, but if I don't have that, anything works: sauteéd spinach, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper... And then drizzled with lots of ketchup of course!
#41 Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

*bump*

I'm liking this thread! pibo.gif

My favourite meals tend to vary depending on the season/my cravings, but I had an amazing smoothie for breakfast today! I'm calling it an Espresso-banana shake!

Just put 1/2 cup unsweetened milk (I used soy), 1 fresh banana, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp espresso powder or regular coffee powder (I like it strong!!), 4-5 deglet noor dates (1-2 medjool) and a good dash of cinnamon. 

Blend until smooth and serve in a bowl, topped with homemade vegan granola. Seriously... I almost went back to make another one, even though I was full. drool.gif

#42 Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Slow cooked pinto beans with tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos over some fluffy rice.

~~Never take for granted the things in your posession, put your crown to the ground and stay in constant submission to the MOST HIGH~~~
~~ Yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is the future, today is a gift and that's why it's called the PRESENT~~
#43 Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldnt call it a meal but I do this a lot: toast with earth balance and marmite or miso.

Dang, now that I've thought of it, I want some now. *off to the kitchen*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#44 Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Beginner

I was living on cornbread for a time when I was eating cooked vegan foods. It is easy, fast and you end up with fresh baked bread. I just used the recipe (modified to be vegan) on the bag of cornmeal, which I know now from memory:

put well-oiled small cast iron skillet in oven and heat to 400F ( I would add about 1/2 tbsp. of oil and use a brush to coat the skillet)

begin by adding the dry ingredients:

1 cup organic white flour

1 cup organic cornmeal

1/2 cup vegan organic turbinado sugar

4 tsp. baking soda (aluminum free)

1/2 tsp. sea salt

egg replacer equivalent for 1 egg

mix dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients:

1 cup organic mylk (I liked rice milk or oat milk best)

1/2 cup organic corn oil (organic will be non-GMO)

mix until fairly smooth

pull out pre-heated skillet and pour in batter

stick in oven

cooks in 20-25 minutes, or when toothpick inserted to middle comes out clean

Serve with some fried collard greens and baked beans and you have a meal.

I always wanted to try using whole wheat instead of white but was afraid it would turn out poorly.

#45 Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Beginner

Like many of you, I love a quick pasta with veggie and bean sauce. Or, a tortilla with beans, guac, salsa, veggies - Yum!

#46 Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Pizza bagels. I always keep grated soy cheese in the freezer. I just slice the bagel, spoon tomato sauce onto each half, top with the soy cheese and bake for about 10 minutes. Yum!

#47 Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM

"Sausage" and Peppers with Whole Wheat Orzo

Saute red and green peppers with onions.  Add sliced vegan italian sausage or kielbasa. Brown sausage.  Add a can diced tomatoes.  Near the end, add spinach leaves til wilted. Season with a touch of salt and a lot of black pepper.

Serve on top of cooked orzo. YUMM!

I brown 1/2 of my orzo in olive oil before boiling, imparts a roasty, nutty flavor to the pasta. Also makes it more colorful.

#48 Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

That sounds really yummy and easy, nekozet! I'm going to try that tonight!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#49 Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Pad thai. I use a recipe from a book called Vegan With a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It's really good. It does take a little while, but when I can't think of anything else to make I make this! 

"Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves." (Lord Byron)

#50 Old 08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Pasta with canned sauce and some veggies. Not the healthiest thing ever but it's quick and cheap and easy.

I also tend to make simple soups, sandwiches, and veggie + tofu stir fry with rice noodles a lot. Lately I've been getting into falafel wraps too, I make a bunch of falafel beforehand and it takes like 5 minutes to make a wrap with hummus and veggies and avocado

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#51 Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I make a lot of whole grain pasta salads, Sandwiches/Wraps/Veggie burgers, Stirfry, I like to make roasted vegetables, Tofu cakes or throw something on the grill. Quick doesn't have to mean plain or unhealthy. A big salad is always good too when everything is in season. I also love soups and stews that I can put on in the morning and come back to later. Same goes for bean/lentil dishes. Then there is always the timeless underrated throw together; the casserole.
#52 Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Another of my favorites I forgot to mention, stuffed roasted peppers! Just cut in half or the top off of a bell pepper, roast it until cooked, stuff with your choice of filling and continue roasting until the pepper is soft and gets that nice sweet/charred flavor and the filling is golden brown. Absolutely amazing.
#53 Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

When I dont feel like cooking or dont have much food in the house I always make baked potatoes mmmmm I love anything with potatoes and they are so easy to pop in the microwave and you can top them with vegan sour cream or chilli or whatever you want. Maybe not the healthiest thing but so good.

Jennifer C likes this.
#54 Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm loving this thread so I thought it was worth "bumping" again. Especially now it's summer & quick meals are what a lot of us are looking for.

I'll add a couple of ideas as well:

1. A BIG bowl of fruit.
2. A quick wrap with hummus & whatever type of veggies/greens that I have on hand.
3. Roasted potatoes with some veg. chili over the top.
4. A Qrunch burger toasted & cut into quarters thrown on top of a salad with some Veganaise ranch dressing.
5. I've even been known to fix a big bowl of oatmeal with some almond milk & some bananas diced up on top. (Yes, for dinner) tongue3.gif
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#55 Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyberries View Post

Slow cooked pinto beans with tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos over some fluffy rice.

I agree I think cooking beans in a slow cooker is the easiest way to do them. Especially in the summertime. There's no standing over the stove. grin.gif
#56 Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Beginner

My favorites (this month anyway) are:

Spaghetti with pesto:

Half spinach, half basil, some pecans, olive oil, some garlic. Blend it all together. I serve it also with yellow potato (papa amarilla, you might find it in Hispanic stores, it's very buttery and flavorful). the thing that takes the longest is washing the spinach and basil.

Lima beans with brown rice.

I live to cook the beans but you can use canned beans. Fry some chopped onions with garlic until brown. Add the beans and also a bunch of fresh parsley and cilantro, salt, pepper, and the key ingredient: liquid smoke. My mom used to make it with bacon but with liquid smoke is much better. It's super quick.

#57 Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs8507 View Post

I throw some beans, cooked quinoa, sauteed veggies and salsa together then I top with some cheddar Daiya shreds. Maybe it sounds weird but it's yummy to me : )

This is super-similar to my go-to, as well! Beans, salsa and whatever beans I bought that week, all stirred into rice or barley. I usually go for nooch instead of Daiya though. Either way, props :)

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#58 Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

If I'm hungry and I don't know what to do, I inevitably boil up some short-grain brown rice. As it's boiling I prep and steam a couple of different vegetables in baskets over the rice (whatever I happen to have - I usually stock spinach, butternut, swede, spring greens, red cabbage and carrots). I also toast a handful of organic sunflower seeds in a dry frying pan while the rice and veg. is cooking. Once done, a dash of hemp oil in the wok and a brief saute of onion and garlic, rice, sunflower seeds and vegetables finishes it all off! 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#59 Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Homemade stuffing is quick and easy. Just sautee veggies (garlic, onions & celery are traditional but other add ins or substitions for celery are great!)and herbs in margerine and/or olive oil, bread and a bit of veg stock or no chicken broth and and you have a delicious side. Add some Gardien beefless tips or your favorite faux chickin or turkey and a quick gravy and it's a great, Filling any night or special night dinner.
#60 Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh cut into thick strips fried with natural smoke and soy sauce. I put mashed avocado with chopped onion on two slices of bread, then tempeh on one slice and thick sliced tomatoes on the other. Then I add kale, combine the two pieces to make a sandwich, and pour apple coder vinegar on top.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page