Do you physically feel better after becoming vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM

I've heard people say that their skin clears up, they've lost weight, they feel more energized, etc...

This is assuming that you follow a balanced diet, as well. I know that 'healthy' can mean a lot of different things, and there are many factors that can contribute to feeling healthy, not just being vegan.

And YES, I know that being vegan doesn't necessarily mean that you're healthy. I just want to receive some of your input on if you feel healthier (and happier) since becoming vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Hi Woofie - -
I am brand new to this - - so I am not sure I'm qualified to answer! I'm halfway into the 30 day Vegan challenge and I feel great! I like to cook and try new recipes so I havent really been eating anything processed - and that might help too. More than anything I'm eating tons of veggies and beans - - the beans keep me full - - i'm never hungry, noticed i'm snacking less and I think i may have lost a few pounds. I have more energy and I think I look better - - my skin mostly - - it was never bad but now I would swear it "glows"!

I'm sure theres lots of crappy junk food out there that is Vegan, so you are right that being vegan doenst = being healthy.

I was in a thrift shop last week and scored some vegan books - - Veganomicon (huge score - I love this book!) and Veganist (which is just ok, but does a really good job of telling you how GREAT you can feel on a vegan diet!)

GL to you!
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Do you physically feel better after becoming vegan?

Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM

I didn't start veg*nism for personal health reasons, but yes I'm definitely lighter, happier, healthier. No more headaches, knee aches, and I don't seem to catch the colds that others around me get. 20 pounds lighter round the midsection, and a massive guilty weight off my shoulders.

--
"When you make the finding yourself -- even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light -- you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
#5 Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

YES! I too have glowing skin despite only having gone vegan a few weeks ago ( was 'almost' vegan for a few months before that though) after experiencing the first acne I have in years, early last year. I too feel lighter and have more energy and stamina in general and I'm also without migraines , even when I sleep in ( which was a big trigger for me) and am sleeping better in general. I don't know if this is the avoidance of dairy or eating more of the other stuff but something is working!
I've also found my mood is a lot more balanced...or is that the increase in sleep ? And perhaps the increase in sleep is the more energy to run around ? Whoooo knows. I do know that barring the strange stomach ache I had for two weeks or so ( possibly unrelated and was feeling great apart from that) it's been awesome.
#6 Old 08-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

No. I felt the same.
#7 Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel very same-y.
#8 Old 08-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I felt super-healthy for like two weeks. I was full of energy and felt really fit; waking up feeling great, doing lots during the day, not a single ache or pain. It sort of settled down after that, but I still feel healthier than pre-vegan, and I'm still sleeping better and feel like I generally have more energy.

But, when I do something really unhealthy - like drinking a lot of alcohol - I do feel it more; as in, I feel worse after drinking than I used to, or after huge amounts of fast food. Probably something to do with my body not being as used to having crap in its systems, or feeling comparatively worse. I dunno. But again, this is probably a good thing, because I do those things less often just because of those feelings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Hi Woofie - -
I am brand new to this - - so I am not sure I'm qualified to answer! I'm halfway into the 30 day Vegan challenge and I feel great! I like to cook and try new recipes so I havent really been eating anything processed - and that might help too. More than anything I'm eating tons of veggies and beans - - the beans keep me full - - i'm never hungry, noticed i'm snacking less and I think i may have lost a few pounds. I have more energy and I think I look better - - my skin mostly - - it was never bad but now I would swear it "glows"!

I'm sure theres lots of crappy junk food out there that is Vegan, so you are right that being vegan doenst = being healthy.

I was in a thrift shop last week and scored some vegan books - - Veganomicon (huge score - I love this book!) and Veganist (which is just ok, but does a really good job of telling you how GREAT you can feel on a vegan diet!)

GL to you!

Veganomican is like the bible of vegan cooking. Check out Vegan With A Vengence too. If you haven't tried the tofu scramble definitely do it!
#10 Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Kari View Post

Veganomican is like the bible of vegan cooking. Check out Vegan With A Vengence too. If you haven't tried the tofu scramble definitely do it!

Oooo I wonder if this is available in Australia...
#11 Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post

I've heard people say that their skin clears up, they've lost weight, they feel more energized, etc...

This is assuming that you follow a balanced diet, as well. I know that 'healthy' can mean a lot of different things, and there are many factors that can contribute to feeling healthy, not just being vegan.

And YES, I know that being vegan doesn't necessarily mean that you're healthy. I just want to receive some of your input on if you feel healthier (and happier) since becoming vegan.

I felt like **** the first two weeks,

But I've never been happier or healthier since.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page