Vegan Books - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM

I thought it would be a good idea to buy some books about veganism to get me started... for life, essentially. I'm not looking for recipe books, by the way, just books about becoming vegan. What are some good possibilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Hi Woofie...What I would recommend is perhaps books on compassionate living, maybe a peek at Buddhist outlooks on life. Examining, & perhaps changing, your perception on the value of all life might make being vegan an easier journey for you. Good luck!

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

It would be so awesome if there was a stickied thread with book reviews.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Vegan Very Metal

I have "Vegan Nutrition" by Gill Langley, i also have "Plant Based Nutrition and Health" by Stephen Walsh. Both of these are reference books and are not stuffed full of recipes. Both are very handy to have though.
#5 Old 08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

'Becoming Vegan' is very useful about nutrition aspects of it.
'The Food Revolution' my favorite book so far.
'THe CHina Study' is also very interesting.

I also read a lot about Buddhism and Jainism.

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#6 Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

The book "Eating Animals" was an interesting read, but I didn't think it was anything groundbreaking. It was more focused on the animals than just health (which I liked) and had some pretty good moments. I also remember seeing a book at one of the stores here about the history of veganism, but I can't recall the exact name or who wrote it.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#7 Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Beginner

Eternal Treblinka by Charles Patterson
The Case for Animal Rights by Tom Regan

http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rights in Colombia)

I support freedom of thought: Everyone has the right to be wrong.
#8 Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Beginner

I am reading Diet For A New America by John Robbins. Very inspiring

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
#9 Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

The China Study and Diet For a New America are my two personal favorites.
#10 Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 AM

Hi Woofie - Not sure what type of book you are looking for (other than the fact that you don't want a cookbook), but i got an email alert from Amazon about a book being released today, in fact, called "The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately" by
Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. This may be a good "get-started" type of book for you. I have one of the author's cookbooks ("The Vegan Table") and its really good. I also know a lot of people listen to her podcasts.

In any event, here is some info on the book from Amazon:

"Whether you want to improve your overall health, shed a few pounds, demonstrate your compassion for animals, or help the environment, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau holds your hand every step of the way, giving you the tools you need to make the vegan transition—healthfully, joyfully, and deliciously. In this one-stop, comprehensive guide, Patrick-Goudreau:

• debunks common nutrition myths and explains the best sources of such nutrients as calcium, protein, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids
• helps you become a savvy shopper, restock your kitchen, read labels, and prepare nutrient-rich meals without feeling overwhelmed
• offers practical strategies for eating out, traveling, hosting holiday gatherings, and attending social events
• empowers you to experience the tangible and intangible benefits of living a healthful, compassionate life "

Good luck!
#11 Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

The China Study and Diet For a New America are my two personal favorites.

I'm with Earth, those books are so good. You can learn a lot from both
#12 Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM

I just finished reading "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World, 2nd Edition", by Bob Torres and Jenna Torres.
#13 Old 08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan For Life is a good book for up-to-date nutritional information.
#14 Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Living Among Meat Eaters by Carol Adams is really good. Currently OOP, but you can pick up a used copy on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Living-Among-M...4290352&sr=8-1

See if you can guess which of the reviews on Amazon were written by meat eaters!

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#15 Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM

As embarrassing as it may sound (I say it out loud and I cringe anyway) but my introduction to veganism was Skinny ******* by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin
But since then I have read Diet for a New America & Food Revolution by John Robbins; Vegan Freak by Bob & Jenna Torres, and I am reading Erik Marcus' A Vegan History 1944-2010 right now.
On my kindle already and waiting are
Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell
and a few others but they have recipes so they are technically cookbooks.

Happy reading

Did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac? He sat up all night contemplating Dog.
#16 Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Becoming Vegan is a great starter book.

Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating by Erik Marcus is also great. Very fast read.

If you want to go a little more advanced, I love anything by Gary Francione. Animals as Persons was quite good. He's very much an abolitionist though, just in case you don't happen to lean that way.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#17 Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenalex View Post

I just finished reading "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World, 2nd Edition", by Bob Torres and Jenna Torres.

Been meaning to get that since I loved their podcasts. I'm just worried that it might be a little too basic for me at this point. What did you think of it?

#18 Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=Deuce1968;3032683]As embarrassing as it may sound (I say it out loud and I cringe anyway) but my introduction to veganism was Skinny ******* by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin]

Hey you're not alone! A while ago I read Skinny ***** and that was my intro too! I am dead embarrassed, but then I ordered Vegan Freak. Got to start somewhere!
#19 Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

Been meaning to get that since I loved their podcasts. I'm just worried that it might be a little too basic for me at this point. What did you think of it?

I liked it but I am new to this.
It is a relatively common sense approach to handling family and friends on the subject of being a freaky vegan type. If you are blessed with vegan friends then you probably already know most of it.
I enjoyed the appendices more than the actual book; they were chock full of helpful links for vegan goods from cookbooks to shoes and clothing.
My biggest worry in rural Utah was how to get vegan friendly goods. This book helped out in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestphoenix View Post

Hey you're not alone! A while ago I read Skinny ***** and that was my intro too! I am dead embarrassed, but then I ordered Vegan Freak. Got to start somewhere!

The book overall was a good intro but the cheesy faux-macho BS was over the top. Even tho I grew up in Utah, I am far from a prude (I even watched SLC Punk when I was a kid :-) ) I don't care who you are, male or female, the use of the f-word has it's place and in a book written for men by two women just comes across as pandering. I could just picture them both sitting around with exaggerated slouching, sniffing loudly, crotch grabbing and farting, looking at each other so surprised, proclaiming "Boys are so gross!" then giggling ever so jr. high schoolishly.
"A" for effort but "D-" on delivery
But they got my $10 and it was a good place to start. It was the first book to actually get me thinking about giving up meat. It took me another year and a bit to do it. It wasn't til I saw this You Tube video http://youtu.be/es6U00LMmC4 by Gary Yourofsky that I actually gave up meat.

Did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac? He sat up all night contemplating Dog.
#20 Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

I thoroughly enjoyed Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet while I was becoming vegan, it broke down the whole process so that it felt more accessible.
#21 Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce1968 View Post

I liked it but I am new to this.
It is a relatively common sense approach to handling family and friends on the subject of being a freaky vegan type. If you are blessed with vegan friends then you probably already know most of it.
I enjoyed the appendices more than the actual book; they were chock full of helpful links for vegan goods from cookbooks to shoes and clothing.
My biggest worry in rural Utah was how to get vegan friendly goods. This book helped out in that department.

Thanks for the info, that was helpful.

#22 Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Beginner

The China Study was my first

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page