Stomach pain persisting into week 3 of veganism :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

hi guys!
So this is probably asked CONSTANTLY by new vegans, 'cause I've heard and can imagine it's common, but how long might an adjustment stomach ache last? Or, alternatively, is there anything I can do about seeds seeming to be the cause? I don't want to ditch them. They're delicious and a source of calories etc etc. but they're all I can think of as being the cause because since dropping the dairy, they're the only thing that's changed .
I already ate a ton of fibre and veggies beforehand. I'm not even eating that many seeds?!
Tahini on most lunches and quarter of a cup-ish of pumpkin seeds, plus nuts in things come dessert...

Help , please? Oh the pain...

xx love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Veggie Regular

If something doesn't agree with me, than I don't eat it. And unfortunately nuts have become one thing my stomach does not like. I can eat smooth nut butters without a problem. But nuts or anything with nuts has the potential to cause stomach pain. So I don't eat them.

If something is upsetting your stomach I'd avoid them and go to your doctor if you can. I know that going to the doctor is not an option for those without insurance.
#3 Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm. Thanks. You're right, I'm sure.

I guess I'm also wondering if maybe I'm getting too much of some vitamin or mineral? Is that possible? I guess not? Bah. Nuts are awesome and useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know. I'm certainly not a dietitian. I love nuts. But they are not worth the stomach pain. After a few incidents when I realized they were the culprit, I had to eliminate them. Thank goodness for creamy peanut butter and almond butter.

Everyone is different and not everything agrees with everyone.
#5 Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie25 View Post

So this is probably asked CONSTANTLY by new vegans, 'cause I've heard and can imagine it's common, but how long might an adjustment stomach ache last?

I've never heard of people getting adjustment stomach aches before and I know a lot of vegans.
If you didn't eat seeds before you went vegan it could be the cause I guess, but I would think this was more of a coincidence with the start of your veganism and you could have another problem. Better get it checked out by a doctor I think.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#6 Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

A little increase in frequency of bowel movements is normal, but stomach aches are not. You might be intolerant to seeds, so take them out of your diet and see what happens. Keep a food journal too.
#7 Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 AM
Banned

What kind of stomach ache? Cramping, bloating, sharp pain, dull pain, upper or lower?

How much water do u drink per day?
#8 Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh golly, thankyou all so much for this feedback! Every single post has been really helpful! I really thought a lot of people experienced these pains! All I know is it's not an increase in beans etc because I ate tons of them before. I also ate a fair few seeds, now that I think about it, but it seems I'm relying on more fat than before. That said, it's only about 40g daily, which isn't that much and isn't all in one hit?!

Quote:
What kind of stomach ache? Cramping, bloating, sharp pain, dull pain, upper or lower?

How much water do u drink per day? \t\t\t\t\t\t

I drink a lot of water ! The stomach pain doesn't feel like bloating but I do definitely feel more full than usual. It's quite sharp but seems to be moving around and down. Sort of as if it were moving WITH the food? Perhaps it's more a case of increased bulk meaning larger sized meals ( I used to rely a bit on dairy for calories , now just higher volumes of other stuff ) ? Except that's not what it feels like. A bit of a cramp, I guess. I don't know, I haven't had any kind of cramp in a while! Bother, I'm being really unhelpful, sorry. But this really HAS helped/is helping.
I'm also really lacking in appetite, but just forced down a dinner anyway And desert is pending
#9 Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

And it must be really difficult to be a healthy vegan without nuts or seeds. Eek..
#10 Old 08-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And it must be really difficult to be a healthy vegan without nuts or seeds. Eek..

It's really not hard at all. I avoid them because they're expensive and it's still easy to get all the required nutrients. It'll just be a bit of an adjustment if you're used to relying on nuts for everything.
#11 Old 08-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I very rarily eat nuts or seeds. There are plenty of healthy vegans who don't eat those things on a regular daily basis. There are other endless amounts of healthy vegan foods.

Can your stomach handle hummus or peanut or almond butters?
#12 Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:

I drink a lot of water ! The stomach pain doesn't feel like bloating but I do definitely feel more full than usual. It's quite sharp but seems to be moving around and down. Sort of as if it were moving WITH the food? Perhaps it's more a case of increased bulk meaning larger sized meals ( I used to rely a bit on dairy for calories , now just higher volumes of other stuff ) ? Except that's not what it feels like. A bit of a cramp, I guess. I don't know, I haven't had any kind of cramp in a while!
I'm also really lacking in appetite, but just forced down a dinner anyway And desert is pending

Ok, how much water is a lot to u? 5 glasses a day, 8 glasses, more less?
This sounds like a digestion issue since u described feeling the pain as your food moves down. In order to comfortably digest fiber u need hydration.
#13 Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 AM

As helpful as all this advice is, I really would advise you get this checked out by a doctor. I never experienced any discomfort at all in the transition from omni to vegetarian to vegan, and I don't know anyone that felt anything other than positive feelings. You could just have a food sensitivity of some kind but it could also be something like a hiatus hernia (which sounds scary but generally doesn't cause too many problems and can be fixed surgically).

In cases like this I would always err on the side of caution and get it checked out by a GP. On a more selfish note, a sick/uncomfortable vegan gives ignorant omni's ammunition to attack, or be scared by, our diet so I think it's good to find out if it is definitely related.

Either way, I hope you can find out what is causing the discomfort and get well soon

--
"When you make the finding yourself -- even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light -- you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
#14 Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ch View Post

As helpful as all this advice is, I really would advise you get this checked out by a doctor. I never experienced any discomfort at all in the transition from omni to vegetarian to vegan, and I don't know anyone that felt anything other than positive feelings.

+1
#15 Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

A little increase in frequency of bowel movements is normal, but stomach aches are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ch View Post

As helpful as all this advice is, I really would advise you get this checked out by a doctor. I never experienced any discomfort at all in the transition from omni to vegetarian to vegan, and I don't know anyone that felt anything other than positive feelings. You could just have a food sensitivity of some kind but it could also be something like a hiatus hernia (which sounds scary but generally doesn't cause too many problems and can be fixed surgically).

I agree -- stomach aches are not a normal part of transitioning. You might expect a little stomach ache now and then if you're trying new and unfamiliar foods, but definitely not going on for so long. You should see a doctor. I hope you are able to get this sorted out soon.
#16 Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

I went from omnivore to vegan, and I had vomiting for a while, until my body grew accustomed to my new diet. I think it was just the shock of switching suddenly from a diet of little to no vegetables to one with many vegetables, beans, grains, etc. that made me vomit a little sometimes. I had no stomachaches and otherwise felt fine, just three or four times I vomited in the first few weeks, and I know it was from being vegan because if it was the flu or something I'd feel sick, and it started at exactly the same time as going vegan, and it was intermittent for about 2-3 weeks before going away, around the time I probably adjusted to eating vegan, so maybe your body is reacting similarly to the shock of a change of diet with stomachaches instead?
#17 Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

You might have a food allergy or allergies, so I'd get tested for those. It's supposed to last a week, and you slowly add the allergens back in (i.e. soy, wheat, dairy, nuts, etc). I hope it's nothing too serious. Good luck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#18 Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

You might have a food allergy or allergies, so I'd get tested for those. It's supposed to last a week, and you slowly add the allergens back in (i.e. soy, wheat, dairy, nuts, etc). I hope it's nothing too serious. Good luck.

Definitely, it could be allergies. I remember my first few times eating an avacado, and my stomach was quite upset after each time. Eventually, though, I did ease up. But if you're still getting these stomach pains, a visit to the doctor wouldn't hurt
#19 Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks so much for this, guys!!!
The pain stopped yesterday and I had an entire day blissfully stomachpain free and anticipate the same today. I think perhaps I'd just eaten too much or perhaps I had eaten the wrong thing , as several people suggested ( good to know that seeds can be avoided and veganism can still work! How closed-minded of me ), so I'm going to do a bit of an elimination thing over the next few days if it comes back / wasn't just an unrelated situation.
Thankyou THANKYOU. This board is amazing. YOU are amazing.
And speaking of transitions and myths, does everybody here believe in 'detox'? I was reading a bit about it as my friend who just went vegetarian has been having strange acne outbreaks and headaches etc but I thought it was more something she was increasing rather than some kind of body cleanse. There isn't much empirical evidence for them? Or is there?

( sorry, coffee is my one vice and it's really early in the morning here, so early I haven't had it yet and I'm struggling to make sense or sensor my rambling thoughts .. )
#20 Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And speaking of transitions and myths, does everybody here believe in 'detox'? I was reading a bit about it as my friend who just went vegetarian has been having strange acne outbreaks and headaches etc but I thought it was more something she was increasing rather than some kind of body cleanse. There isn't much empirical evidence for them? Or is there?

None that I know of that is respected in the scientific community.

m8itcanw8.com
#21 Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

None that I know of that is respected in the scientific community.

QFT. I find the liver does a pretty good job of detoxing the body on a constant basis

--
"When you make the finding yourself -- even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light -- you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
#22 Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

True
I also wondered if my multivitamin ( the other new addition ) might be to blame so I didn't take it yesterday. Seems unlikely though. It's not even that high in concentration?!
#23 Old 08-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Beginner

is there an alternative to nuts because personally i cant stand them?

Nothing is more sexy than compassion
#24 Old 08-22-2011, 05:40 PM

If you go to a doctor have him/her give you a blood test for H-pilori bacteria (I think that is the way it is spelled). You could possibly have an ulcer. I had stomach pains for years until I found the right doctor who actually cared. A miracle
!! It could of course be a detox thing since you feel much better now, but if it happens again a tablespoon or two of organic lemon juice in a cup of water in the morning helps.
#25 Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

True
I also wondered if my multivitamin ( the other new addition ) might be to blame so I didn't take it yesterday. Seems unlikely though. It's not even that high in concentration?!

Absolutely! I've talked to numerous people who couldn't stomach multi-vitamins. What brand are you taking? I found on Amazon a brand that has 1 star (47 negative reviews) because of stomach pain related to taking it.

Found this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...-stomach-pain/
#26 Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm one of those really can't stomach a multi.... I also get very shaky from them.
#27 Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Such a shame about those multis Perhaps I'll try a different brand!
In other news though..stomach is a-okay now! Not sure if it was the ditching the vitamin or some kind of adjustment but I haven't actually even changed what I was eating! Hoorah! Thanks guys ! So so so so sooo much. Support is invaluable , in general
#28 Old 08-30-2011, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Was Centrum the brand you were taking? I would almost bet money that it was the vitamins the whole time.
#29 Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people can't eat nuts and seeds. If you have extreme pain, it could be diverticulosis/diverticulitis, which is very much aggravated by any type of nut or seed. If it persists, it may be worth seeing a doctor over b/c either one of these conditions can cause an intestinal micro perforation--which is serious.
#30 Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM

It sounds like you have a food allergy. I recently learned of my nut allergies, particularly almond and pistachio (which I used to love). They cause sharp stabbing pains no one could explain. I highly suggest getting an allergy prick test to make going vegan much smoother!! Honestly!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page