Stomach pain persisting into week 3 of veganism :( - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 AM

These could be the problems:

Raw Nuts / Seeds - In my opinion, and from experience, always steam or gently roast (10-20 min steam, or about 7-12 min roast at 340ish degree) any nut or seed before eating. The 'raw' benefits are marketing. Theres a such thing as 'fresh' benefit, but not raw. It took me a long time to realize this, and as long as I don't char the nut/seed, they always digest to me perfect when I cook them first but taken raw, more than like 2-3 nuts at a time and It will feel like I've eaten a whole meal.

Almonds, Peanuts  ...(the skins can be irritating to most people, me being one of them. Most processed almond/peanut butters / bars...they just throw the nuts in without soaking them, removing the skins, and at best the peanuts might be roasted. It was always recommended in Ayurveda to soak, blanch, and remove the almond skins before eating them because they cause gas

Recommendations: Steam the nuts/seeds you want to eat into your meals, last 5-10 minutes. They will become soft, still taste and be fresh, and digest as seemingly easy as oats or rice. Grind and bake the nuts/seeds into baked goods. Use more oils and less whole nuts/seeds when you don't have time/desire to prep them. The more surface area exposed before swallowing, the easier to digest (so give the nut/seed a good grind and/or chew before eating, or even make nut milks and strain the pulp)

I can almost guarantee the digestion issues are because of (almond skin, peanut skin, eaten raw, and/or not chewed well)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-20-2013, 01:01 PM

I'm delighted to read you are feeling better and the pain has gone.

However, just for the record I had the most horrendous abdo pain when I first turned veggie.  It was definitely gas / bowel motion related.

I think I OD'd on the lentils and beans etc during the first few days and my body wasn't used to them.

It was so awful that I went back to omni for a week or so until I reflected on the cause.

I then went straight to vegan, went easy on the pulses and my transitions was fine.

#33 Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 AM

I am allergic to soy and nuts. Soy gives me stomach cramps and then soon after I dash to the bathroom.

Nuts make the insides of my mouth breakout if I have 1 or 2. I would hate to see what would happen if I ate more than that.

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” ~ Mohandas Gandhi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Oryzatarian

Yeah, offending diet components should be looked for if there is persistent digestive issues.

The possibility of Multiple causative foods should be kept in mind while doing so.

From when I was about 3 (and probably before) until I was 18 I had constant gut pain. I saw 20 doctors.

Only two even mentioned diet and then only to ask if there was any blatantly obvious instantaneous cause. The overall assumption was that since I was eating american food I must be ok in the food department.

All were eager to give me any drug they could think of. All loved my great insurance.

What eventually changed was at 18 a drug combination finally helped some, the doctor swore they were safe but was clearly clueless as to why they helped and nothing else had, finally starting to question the competence of doctors I did my own research to try to answer that question... what I found was that one of them was putting me at very high risk for permanent brain damage and the next week the other was pulled from the market because it was now killing too many people- it had already been killing people by liver failure, just now it was too many! shocked.gif

I fired my doctor on the spot and decided to try to work it out by myself. I couldnt have failed worse than them, at least.

I rapidly did what 20 doctors and a million dollars couldnt do in 15 years, I figured out I should never eat chocolate, processed meat, or eggs unless I want 5-8 days of pain.

Cast iron stomach ever since cool3.gif

Keep in mind it might take a week, possibly more, for the pain to stop after a food is removed.

Keep in mind partial improvement means keep looking for more causes.

Keep in mind that you probably value your life more than your doctor does, so dont just blindly assume they made sure what they recommend is actually safe according to their own literature!

Keep in mind that if a properly used pharmaceutical drug only kills 1 in 10,000 people on the spot it is deemed perfectly safe by the government. Also keep in mind that if you stand in a group of 10,000 people, you really are 1 of them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page