How do you feel about eating fast food? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 AM

I think it's pretty clear that fast food chains, e.g. McDonald's, KFC, and even small restaurants, e.g. Chinese takeout, Mexican taco shops, are infamous for being unhealthy. What's more, the farms they receive their meat, eggs and dairy from probably don't treat their animals well.

I mean cages, crates, basically using animals like machines to produce food rather than living, breathing creatures.

I think if a vegan were to go to one of these places, maybe with some friends, it wouldn't be too difficult to find something vegan on the menu; e.g. a salad or a lard-free bean burrito.

So although you're eating something completely free of animal products, can you still feel guilt-free about buying a meal from one of these places, if you're supporting the restaurant and contributing money toward its food production?

Please tell me your thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

It's really no different than eating at most other restaurants or shopping at most grocery stores that aren't veg*n.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I've thought of this too: That I buy vegan products but from stores that also sell meat. Many large chain grocery stores have a "natural foods" section now with vegan items. The reason is of coarse, this stuff sells.

I don't eat out much. I avoid anything like McDonalds or other such fast food.

This could be taken further. Buying clothes from places that sell leather shoes. Etc. A person could drive themselves nuts thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

It's really easy to be a vegan where I live so i spend a good amount of money supporting vegan restaurants and grocery stores so when i do have to spend some money in non vegan places, I don't feel guilty about it.

I also don't consider a carton of fries from McDonalds every now and then to be all that unhealthy for me. It's not like I eat it everyday. It's cooked in a healthy vegan oil in aus so no biggie.
#5 Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

It's really no different than eating at most other restaurants or shopping at most grocery stores that aren't veg*n.

I feel the same although I prefer to go to vegan/ vegetarian places if I can. I'm lucky where I live though so it's easier for me to be picky about where I spend my money. I think I had some fries once at McDonalds since I went vegan but I know some vegan people that wouldn't set foot in there on principle.
#6 Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I rarely eat at any kind of restaurant, but have no problem eating fast food or any other place that sells meat because I'm helping to create demand for vegan products. If this catches on, maybe there'll be mostly veg*n options in restaurants/stores and a few little token meat options for the omnis until businesses realize that it's just not profitable to sell that stuff anymore.
#7 Old 08-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I do not eat fast food in general. We go to Chipotle on occasion, and maybe eat FF when we are on the road (which is rare.) It is generally unhealthy and high calorie. We try to eat mostly whole foods or minimally processed food. I have struggled with my weight for years, and not eating FF makes it way less of a struggle.
#8 Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post

So although you're eating something completely free of animal products, can you still feel guilt-free about buying a meal from one of these places, if you're supporting the restaurant and contributing money toward its food production?

The only food I feel completely guilt-free about eating, is the food I grow in my own garden because I know fossil fuels are used to plant, harvest and transport everything else.

I rarely eat fast food, but not because I see it as less moral than eating at nicer restaurants that serve meat. I just happen not to like fast food very much.
#9 Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I do feel like i am supporting an industry that is directly responsible for the invention of factory farming if I eat at a fast food place. Even if I eat a vegan item, I don't want that company to have my money, period.
I haven't gone to McDonalds in years, (with an exception to once on a road trip in the middle of nowhere my kids were super hungry and ate apple slices that didn't taste like apple slices), because even though I wasn't vegan at the time, I have always been conscious of the food I put in my mouth. I never liked the idea of fast food and how it contributes to the declining health in this country. I never wanted to support an industry that has run good mom and pop diners and stands into the ground. I feel like "McDonaldization" has run our society into the ground, and felt this way for a long time.
ha ha- you asked a question that can get me babbling for hours on the subject. I should stop and stay on topic.

I find that being vegan presents small challenges when eating out that are easy to overcome by speaking with the cook or waitress. But at a fast food place- you can't really negotiate your food or control how they make it so you may end up with something you guessed to be vegan that is not. I know Taco Bell had a vegan option but now the tortilla is questionable? So I think its best to always be prepared on a road trip or when going to another destination by packing your own food or researching vegan friendly restaurants along the way. There are phone apps that you can download that help you with locating these, also there are apps with vegan options that are available at fast food restaurants, but then again, you can't control it all the time.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#10 Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Living in an omni family, I do eat fast food, though vegan options of course. I have no problem with it, I think vegans should eat fast food to increase the demand for the vegan options and push to create more options.
#11 Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

I think it's pretty clear that fast food chains, e.g. McDonald's, KFC, and even small restaurants, e.g. Chinese takeout, Mexican taco shops, are infamous for being unhealthy. What's more, the farms they receive their meat, eggs and dairy from probably don't treat their animals well.

I mean cages, crates, basically using animals like machines to produce food rather than living, breathing creatures.

I think if a vegan were to go to one of these places, maybe with some friends, it wouldn't be too difficult to find something vegan on the menu; e.g. a salad or a lard-free bean burrito.

I don't believe in eating from 'chains' at all, however there are some local small restaurants that i adore, and they often have take out. There is a chinese place about a block away from me that has the BEST veggie dishes. I'm very fortunate to live where I do, though.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#12 Old 08-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I feel the same although I prefer to go to vegan/ vegetarian places if I can. I'm lucky where I live though so it's easier for me to be picky about where I spend my money. I think I had some fries once at McDonalds since I went vegan but I know some vegan people that wouldn't set foot in there on principle.

Yeah, I prefer veg*n places too and go to them when at home. I also avoid fast food. I go to Chipotle maybe once or twice a year and when traveling will eat at a taco bell if there's nothing else around. That's about it for fast food and me.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#13 Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Fast food is starting to gross me out for some reason, even the vegan stuff. Makes me want to go live on a little farm somewhere in the mountains and raise chickens while tending to vegetables I'm going to eat.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#14 Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Indeed, there are plenty of vegetarian and vegan options at fast food. Though there's also plenty of room for improvement, fast food is not synonymous with nonveganism or antiveganism.

Resources to find veg items at fast food:
http://www.peta.org/living/vegetaria...staurants.aspx
http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...stFoodRest.htm
http://www.veganeatingout.com/fast-food

Quote:

You can feel guilty about whatever you want to feel guilty about. Some of my personal guilt-inducing thoughts include why I'm not adopting more children, why I'm not adopting more animals, why I drive so much and shop so much, why I'm not doing more activism, why I don't call my mom more often, why I waste so much time worrying about my appearance, why I don't donate more money to charity, etc etc etc.

The real question isn't about feeling guilty. It's about whether or not those guilty feelings are rational.
Are they?

When it comes to fast food I don't think it's entirely rational to worry about where you eat vegan food just so long as you only eat vegan food. That matters far more than anything else. I think too many animal advocates get caught in the trap of thinking that their money is so powerful that it can change the world. NO! It's not your ****ing money that's going to make a difference, it's your actions. I mean, unless you're talking about money going to charity, then maybe it will help change the world. But a few cents going to Taco Bell in support of their vegan items? Nope, those pennies are not likely to cause more animal suffering and death.

So spend more time feeling guilty about not doing more animal activism and spend less time feeling guilty about eating a bean burrito fresco style at Taco Bell.
#15 Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Guilt is a useless emotion. The only way it may serve useful is if it propels action. Otherwise, rumination is asinine.

#16 Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm forced to go to places like that all the time :/

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#17 Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Guilt is a useless emotion. The only way it may serve useful is if it propels action. Otherwise, rumination is asinine.

Good point.
Although, like jealousy and envy, it's often difficult to curb. The best thing is to try to avoid it and when you feel it to redirect it into positive action.
#18 Old 08-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree completely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Good point.
Although, like jealousy and envy, it's often difficult to curb. The best thing is to try to avoid it and when you feel it to redirect it into positive action.

#19 Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

The last time I walked into a fast food restaruant, I saw something super gross. It's going to be a long time before I eat fast food again.

You don't want to know. Trust me.
#20 Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

The last time I walked into a fast food restaruant, I saw something super gross. It's going to be a long time before I eat fast food again.

You don't want to know. Trust me.

I can't guess what you saw, but I've already got a dozen possible scenarios in my head.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#21 Old 08-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to avoid fast food, and most days that isn't a problem. I usually only eat fast food when travelling which might be a few times a year, as it's not always easy to find other places or bring complete meals with me. I don't feel particularly bad for supporting these companies (the grocery store comparison pretty much nailed it) but they aren't my first choice either.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#22 Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Subway, Chipotle, Moe's or Taco Bell are the only fast food places I tend to go to when on road trips. I also see no difference in going to one of these places or buying vegan options from a supermarket or any other regular restaurant that also sells meat.
#23 Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

True. In America at least, over 90% of commercially-sold meat is produced on factory farms.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#24 Old 08-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

I rarely eat at any kind of restaurant, but have no problem eating fast food or any other place that sells meat because I'm helping to create demand for vegan products. If this catches on, maybe there'll be mostly veg*n options in restaurants/stores and a few little token meat options for the omnis until businesses realize that it's just not profitable to sell that stuff anymore.

That's how I feel, I'm hoping as more demand catches on, then more veg products vs things with meat.. but I always stay away from the extremely popular places like MCds, burger king, chikfila, etc etc. To be honest, I don't think any kind of demand from veg*ns will influence these big chain companies... but we can hope, right?

meow.
Visit my food/blog/tumblr! Thanks
http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/
#25 Old 08-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I will occasionally eat at Taco Bell. They are right next door to my part time job and sometimes I just don't have time to eat before I work my second job, so T.Bell has fed me from time to time.

Last week I remembered Burger King had a BK Veggie meal so I tried it. It was OK, nothing I would go out of my way for.

In fact, neither of these experiences would EVER be worth going out of my way for. But if I was with somebody who wanted to eat fast food, I'd suggest one of those places as they would have something I would at least want to eat. Not that I would really look forward to it.

As for as how I felt...pretty miserable and bad about myself over all. Which is how I felt for years even as an omni eating fast food until I started to make healthier choices.

As far as the comments about supporting "factory farming..." Uh, we do that on a daily basis, whether you realize it or not. Somehow, some way, no matter how hard you try, your money you spend ultimately ends up in the hands of somebody who is doing something you don't agree with.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#26 Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

Somehow, some way, no matter how hard you try, your money you spend ultimately ends up in the hands of somebody who is doing something you don't agree with.

Sad and true.

#27 Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

I totally agree with you! We can't feel guilty every time we contribute money to somewhere that is cruel to animals, especially is we aren't buying the product that creates the demand for said animal cruelty. I am not a vegan super sleuth, I just do my best to do what is right.
#28 Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

No issues with fast food. It's saved my fakin bacon a few times in strange places at weird times.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#29 Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 AM

I really don't even like fast food. I will eat Taco Bell or Subway if need be. I used to love Wendy's fries but I don't like those anymore. I always end up feeling so gross if I eat junky food.
#30 Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

deleted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page