Pearls - how do you feel about it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Beginner

I used to love pearls, and I was just considering wearing an old necklace I found today while going through my wardrobe looking for things to give away. I have faux pearls but this necklace was real, I got it for graduation a few years ago. This may seem silly but I really never thought of them as animal products. Like I knew they were far in the back of my head but consciously I just thought "oh, pearls..." But yup, they even have pearl farms for those not found in the wild. O.o

Why does everything have to come from an animal. Seriously humans, damn.

So anyway I assume others here don't wear them and aren't for them...no? Any information on how the animals are treated to get the pearls? I've honestly never heard any animal rights or veg organization talking about peArls

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2011, 03:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I have one pearl necklace; a single pear set in a charm on a chain. I got it when I was seven, but picking an oyster out of a tank and having it cup open in front of me. Didn't think twice about it back then.

Don't know much about how they're treated, and I keep that one necklace because it reminds me of the nice family holiday (and getting rid of it wouldn't do much good). But I wouldn't get any more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 AM

I'm inheriting a set of pearl earrings and a matching pearl strand, because they've been in the family for a while and are really special. Other than that and a small strand of Tahitian pearls that I bought about five years ago, I don't really intend on buying any more real pearls. (I'll wear fake pearl studs, though, because I love the way they look.)

"Fish are friends, not food!"
~~~
Vegan since 07.14.2011 and never looking back. <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

I used to love pearls, and I was just considering wearing an old necklace I found today while going through my wardrobe looking for things to give away. I have faux pearls but this necklace was real, I got it for graduation a few years ago. This may seem silly but I really never thought of them as animal products. Like I knew they were far in the back of my head but consciously I just thought "oh, pearls..." But yup, they even have pearl farms for those not found in the wild. O.o

Why does everything have to come from an animal. Seriously humans, damn.

So anyway I assume others here don't wear them and aren't for them...no? Any information on how the animals are treated to get the pearls? I've honestly never heard any animal rights or veg organization talking about peArls

When my great-great-grandmother passed away a few years ago, she gave me her pearl collection, I keep and wear those. I would never buy new ones, however.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

My general rule is anything you have that isnt vegan before going vegan doesn't really matter. For example my winter boots from high school are leather but I still wear them, it seems silly to buy a new pair when I have a perfectly good one. If it makes you uncomfortable don't wear it, but don't sweat it if you like it.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#6 Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with sarawr. If you already have it don't worry about it, but go faux if you get new ones.
#7 Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The pearl industry is one of suffering just like ALL the other industries involving animals. They are farmed just like all the rest. They even X-ray the oysters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

. For example my winter boots from high school are leather but I still wear them, it seems silly to buy a new pair when I have a perfectly good one. If it makes you uncomfortable don't wear it, but don't sweat it if you like it.

How any person who calls themself a vegan can feel comfortable walking around in a product which symbolises such huge animal suffering "because they like it", is beyond my comprehension.

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no problem buying pearls second hand, but wouldn't buy new.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#9 Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

How any person who calls themself a vegan can feel comfortable walking around in a product which symbolises such huge animal suffering "because they like it", is beyond my comprehension.

Woah, judgmental much? If they were bought before the switch, there is NO reason to throw away/donate something you like, its the buying of new things that's the problem...

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#10 Old 08-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Easy I'm broke and boots that don't leak and are warm are expensive.
Also quite often pearls have sentimental value to a person, I have a set from my grandmother - while I never wear them I still like them because they are special to me.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#11 Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Woah, judgmental much?

Yeh, I WILL make a judgment about vegans wearing animal products, (especially leather) every time they admit to doing it. You can count on it.

m8itcanw8.com
#12 Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When my great-great-grandmother passed away a few years ago, she gave me her pearl collection, I keep and wear those. I would never buy new ones, however.

Yes, mine were handed down to me and I wear them but I will never by new ones.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#13 Old 08-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeh, I WILL make a judgment about vegans wearing animal products, (especially leather) every time they admit to doing it. You can count on it.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#14 Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Vegans don't wear animal products, roll your eyes about that all you want, but you will always be wrong.

m8itcanw8.com
#15 Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a mother of pearl necklace when I turned vegan and I gave it to one of my friends to keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

#16 Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Vegans don't wear animal products, roll your eyes about that all you want, but you will always be wrong.

Would it be wrong to keep a family heirloom in a safe deposit box? Im not being snide, I am curious.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#17 Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

Easy I'm broke and boots that don't leak and are warm are expensive.
Also quite often pearls have sentimental value to a person, I have a set from my grandmother - while I never wear them I still like them because they are special to me.

I don't think Nishani can comprehend that you don't live in a warm climate, i'm assuming you don't because it's canada and you need winter boots lol. I wouldn't be throwing or giving them away either i'm not going to let my feet freeze off because of that.
#18 Old 08-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I don't think Nishani can comprehend that you don't live in a warm climate, i'm assuming you don't because it's canada and you need winter boots lol. I wouldn't be throwing or giving them away either i'm not going to let my feet freeze off because of that.

What are you trying to pretend that warm boots made from synthetic materials (which serve the same purpose as boots made from animal skin) are not available in stores or on the internet? That is just plain ****ing weird.

m8itcanw8.com
#19 Old 08-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What are you trying to pretend that warm boots made from synthetic materials (which serve the same purpose as boots made from animal skin) are not available in stores or on the internet? That is just plain ****ing weird.

And are you trying to show that you can't read? Do you seem to think that everyone has money to spend on new things whenever they want or need them? The point is people who are poor cannot afford to buy new crap all the time, i don't own any animal stuff from before but i would keep them if i needed them for something, because guess what i'm broke and in poverty.
#20 Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've personally gotten ride of all my animal products and I certainly have no plans to buy any more. But like others have said, I see no issue with a vegan wearing leather boots for awhile, until they can replace them.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#21 Old 08-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And are you trying to show that you can't read? Do you seem to think that everyone has money to spend on new things whenever they want or need them? The point is people who are poor cannot afford to buy new crap all the time, i don't own any animal stuff from before but i would keep them if i needed them for something, because guess what i'm broke and in poverty.

Sorry to hear you're broke, but poverty is not and never will be, a logical reason to defend the wearing of animal products if you identify as a vegan.

m8itcanw8.com
#22 Old 08-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

Sorry to hear you're broke, but poverty is not and never will be, a logical reason to defend the wearing of animal products if you identify as a vegan.

In your opinion.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#23 Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

In your opinion.

Do we have to write that every time we post now do we?

m8itcanw8.com
#24 Old 08-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I guess you'd condemn a person starving to death with no other options who eats meat to stay alive also.
#25 Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

Do we have to write that every time we post now do we?

It would help, since your opinions are not universally accepted as being the ultimate authority.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#26 Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

No. As a vegan, I don't buy pearls. I don't have any from prior to being vegan. I suppose if I did, I think I'd keep them but not wear them. I wouldn't feel right wearing them personally.
#27 Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Oysters are killed for pearls. Although pearls obviously aren't vegan because they are animal products, there is some debate about the sentience of oysters. Regardless, I wouldn't buy new pearls.

I do have some older pearls that I would continue to wear, although I haven't worn them for some time because the necklaces aren't in the best shape and I haven't taken the time to repair them. I do wear faux pearls. There are some lovely faux pearls available that are much less expensive and available in a larger range of colors than real pearls. To me, they are prettier as well.

In a separate vein, it seems that perhaps pearls are a bit out of fashion these days? I have seen several people commenting that they can't trust a woman who wears pearls! Perhaps they are perceived as conservative or old fashioned.
#28 Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It would help, since your opinions are not universally accepted as being the ultimate authority.

I've never once said that my opinions are the ultimate authority, but my opinions are certainly in line with fundamental vegan ideology about NOT wearing animal products. Are you trying to suggest that they are not?

m8itcanw8.com
#29 Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Its actually defending the practice of keeping heirlooms and inability to afford new products

Quote:

In your opinion.

Quote:

I guess you'd condemn a person starving to death with no other options who eats meat to stay alive also.

Quote:

Quote:

I've never once said that my opinions are the ultimate authority, but my opinions are certainly in line with fundamental vegan ideology about NOT wearing animal products. Are you trying to suggest that they are not?

Actually, Nishani, the majority opinion here is that it's alright to keep them. You seem to be the only one condemning this practice. Also, the fundamental vegan ideology is not contributing to animal suffering, no longer purchasing animal products does not contribute to animal suffering, neither does having cold feet in the middle of winter, or getting rid of family heirlooms.

Quote:
#30 Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually, Nishani, the majority opinion here is that it's alright to keep them.

Keeping them maybe ok, but wearing them as a vegan, not ok. And just because something is the majority opinion on VB doesn't mean it makes ANY ****ing sense in the rest of the vegan world whatsoever.

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page