Pearls - how do you feel about it? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Off with your head!

Day made

And what what what to being called vegan but containing pearls? That sucks.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I stopped purchasing or accepting pearl jewelry after becoming vegan. At first, I didn't even think about pearls and that they were not vegan. I still have pearl jewelry that I received prior to being vegan. I still like the way pearls look so have purchased jewelry with synthetic pearls which look just as good to me and costs less.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#93 Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

.............. most of my eyeshadow is Urban Decay. Argh! You dont have a list of the colours they put it in do you?! Ive seen it in other brands, pretty well advertised (why hide something that makes your product look premium), but didnt realise UD did that.

Their website has a section labelled "vegan", if that's any help.

http://www.urbandecay.com/shop-urban...efault,sc.html

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

^ You can't trust that, though. They had labeled the stuff I'm referring to "vegan".

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#95 Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

^ You can't trust that, though. They had labeled the stuff I'm referring to "vegan".

Woah...that's messed up.
#96 Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They labeled it or the staff at Sephora did?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#97 Old 08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

it's this one, and UD did NOT label it vegan themselves: http://www.urbandecay.com/surreal-sk...wderFoundation
#98 Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

This was over one year ago. The label on the product used to say "cruelty free" or whatever. They probably took some heat over it and changed it.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#99 Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

deleted
#100 Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I think all of their packaging mentions not tested on animals, and the vegan products have a paw print logo on them, as well. I know they took a lot of heat over their Primer Potion not actually being vegan, and I thought they were prompt about responding to that. I've never bought that foundation, I don't know if UD labeled it vegan or not.

I don't really trust Sephora staff about stuff like that, personally. Once I was there and they were badgering me about having a makeover from a consultant from NARS. I kept declining, very politely, and finally when they wouldn't leave me alone I explained that Shiseido (who owns NARS) tests on animals. Then the NARS rep told me I was wrong, that no Japanese companies ever test on animals. I pulled up some info on the internet on my phone, and then they all ignored me the rest of the time I was there.

Yeah it had some paw print next to name on the display.

I don't trust Sephora employees either. Their job is to sell stuff, and they'll tell you what you want to hear. I used to work in a skin care store, and that's just how it's done. Sad. I ended up quitting because I just couldn't lie to people anymore.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#101 Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yup. I was in Sephora one day and I told the dude working there that I needed new, light coverage foundation and that it had to be vegan, meaning not tested on animals and containing no animal ingredients. He showed me the new Urban Decay foundation, demo-ed it on my hand, and told me that what made it so fan-f*cking-tastic was the fact that it has mother of pearl in it. I told him that it isn't vegan, then. He argued that it was because the company works with PETA and makes vegan makeup. I rolled my eyes, wiped it off my hand, and left.

That was his error, as Urban Decay is not an all vegan company.

Quote:

Yeah it had some paw print next to name on the display.

I don't trust Sephora employees either. Their job is to sell stuff, and they'll tell you what you want to hear. I used to work in a skin care store, and that's just how it's done. Sad. I ended up quitting because I just couldn't lie to people anymore.

Did the ingredients list name pearl or were you just going off what the guy said?
#102 Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhedgepeth View Post

I stopped purchasing or accepting pearl jewelry after becoming vegan. At first, I didn't even think about pearls and that they were not vegan. I still have pearl jewelry that I received prior to being vegan. I still like the way pearls look so have purchased jewelry with synthetic pearls which look just as good to me and costs less.

Awesome!
That's more the kind of post one would expect an ethical vegan to write, instead of all those ones that use sentiment to rationalize wearing animal products.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#103 Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That was his error, as Urban Decay is not an all vegan company.
Did the ingredients list name pearl or were you just going off what the guy said?

I know they're not an all-vegan company. But it was labeled in the store as vegan.

Mother of pearl was listed as an ingredient.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#104 Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I know they're not an all-vegan company. But it was labeled in the store as vegan.

Mother of pearl was listed as an ingredient.

It might have been Sephora's error then. That's weird. Did you e-mail them when this happened?
#105 Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that the likely scenario is that Urban Decay called one of their products vegan that wasn't, and that's understandable since mother of pearl isn't one of those "duh" things. They probably got some complaints about it and stopped calling it vegan and cruelty free.

*shrug*

Or maybe the dude in the store thought that "cruelty free" and a paw print label given to an Urban Decay product by Urban Decay meant "vegan". That's what I thought.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#106 Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

deleted
#107 Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It might have been Sephora's error then. That's weird. Did you e-mail them when this happened?

Yeah, didn't hear back from them. *shrug* I still use their stuff, I'm just more careful now.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#108 Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I don't think I could. Mine were handed down from my great-great-grandmother who lived through the holocaust, hid them from the insane Romanian pigs that tried to kill her, and hid them and retrieved them when her, her daughters, and husband were sent to a concentration camp. So Yes, not having them in my life would hurt my happiness greatly.

Surely you knew this was not a case that I would imagine you would give them up. Treasure them.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#109 Old 08-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Beginner

Oh wow 11 pages O.o

I'm late.*

Well I can see both sides of the argument. I'm not a perfect vegan either. I wear contact lenses and my moisturizer has honey in it. I don't think I would ever wear leather or anything like that if I had a choice. Who knows though, I'll be joining the peace corps if all goes well in a couple years and I doubt I'll be able to maintain a vegan lifestyle in a third world country (preferably a Spanish speaking one) but I'm gonna try. I guess it could be argued that I'm just a strict vegetarian, but eh. I never lie to anyone about it. I also make sure people get that the goal is to be as vegan as possible. I'm not religious at all (see my quote lol) but this reminds me of all the evangelicals I went to school with who told people that god doesn't approve of them because they aren't real Christians. Not saying that I disagree or agree with that, but it most definitely is repulsive and drives people away from hearing your underlying point, or from understanding who you are instead of focusing on how much you like to condemn people.*

I still understand nashini's point. Using animal products is in contradiction to vegan ideology. Ideology is not always in line with reality, though, and I see veganism as something that can exist in reality and not just a fantasy that most people can't reach ever because of money or culture or whatever. Like any ideology, there will be deviating patterns of thought beneath the overall umbrella. This is what happens when more people start jumping on board to any philosophy, ideology, whatever.*

And I highly doubt nashini is a perfect vegan. There are a number of things that you can't escape in our society, unless you have tons of cash just sitting around. Even then, things like medicine and medical treatments, etc. Are things you have no control over. When held under the microscope, very few people living in the mainstream bulk of our society can be said to live a *100% vegan lifestyle.

Also, nashini's posts are unhelpful for more than just the fact that he or she is not "cutting anyone any slack." I actually understand that part, to an extent. My problem is this: all I hear is *****ing, no offense. When someone says they can't find affordable resources and so they resort to using animal products, I think part of being a "good vegan", if you will, is reaching out and helping people. making it sound as if other peoples struggles are not valid, yet failing to present any information or resources out there to show that they do have options, is not helping anyone on their vegan journey. And it definitely doesn't represent our cause well. You're just *****ing at people, finding whatever justifications of conviction you can. It kind of reminds me of people who scope out others weaknesses and poke for the sake of pointing out their flaws, instead of giving constructive criticism, which involves advice and helping others. *That's just a bit pathetic, in my opinion. :/*

That's all.*

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
#110 Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

You have criticised nishani for '*****ing' and then had a big ***** about her yourself which is totally hypocritical of you.

You have also badly misrepresented her argument about vegans and their use of animal products. Not even once have I ever seen nishani hassle anybody about their use of essential items like medications, or as in your case contact lenses. I know that she works in the medical field so i know that she would not say something like that or harass people over it.
She has only mentioned about how the use of non-essential items like leather and pearls is wrong. Those are not items that (in your words) we 'can't escape'.

I know nishani as a pretty self-assured woman in real life who is very committed to veganism so I don't think she cares much about this *****ing about her, but I do because she was a big influence on me going from omni to vegan.
#111 Old 08-26-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:

Off with your head!

lol! Thanks for that..

But as for the pearls, after my grandmother passed away, I was given her pearl necklace.. I don't wear it though, was never a fan of the look. I would never get rid of it just because it isn't vegan approved..
This makes me wonder though.. what if you inherited or were gifted one of those horrendous animal skin rugs or animal heads before you were vegan...? The hell would you do with those?

meow.
Visit my food/blog/tumblr! Thanks
http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/
#112 Old 08-27-2011, 05:17 AM

I used to get really passionate about my beliefs before I was even a vegetarian but I've learned that life is not, indeed, black and white and there will always be a shade of grey. I salute every little step/thing people do towards a cruelty-free life, everything really matters! Personally, I'm now dedicated to living a life that doesn't involve animal products, no matter the form in which they appear and it will sometimes be hard but I'm willing to figure out a way to do it. I don't have a lot of money, so I know how hard it can be to change our lives and to break free from this ugly system. I will recommend putting the pearls in a safe place and cherish them this way for what they mean to you. I will recommend at least trying all the possible solutions (if there are any left) regarding the leather boots. No matter how things turn out, thank you for doing your best and for all the other things you do that would otherwise impact the fragile life of animals.
#113 Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohemgee View Post

This makes me wonder though.. what if you inherited or were gifted one of those horrendous animal skin rugs or animal heads before you were vegan...? The hell would you do with those?

I'm fortunate enough to have a non-vegan brother I could give it to, but if I was an only child; back of the closet looking away from me. Those things are creepy.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#114 Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

making it sound as if other peoples struggles are not valid, yet failing to present any information or resources out there to show that they do have options, is not helping anyone on their vegan journey.

You think I fail to show ANY info or resources to show that people have options? Liar liar, keyboard on fire! here's one example of helping peeps with vegan options

m8itcanw8.com
#115 Old 08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

You have criticised nishani for '*****ing' and then had a big ***** about her yourself which is totally hypocritical of you.

You have also badly misrepresented her argument about vegans and their use of animal products. Not even once have I ever seen nishani hassle anybody about their use of essential items like medications, or as in your case contact lenses. I know that she works in the medical field so i know that she would not say something like that or harass people over it.
She has only mentioned about how the use of non-essential items like leather and pearls is wrong. Those are not items that (in your words) we 'can't escape'.

I know nishani as a pretty self-assured woman in real life who is very committed to veganism so I don't think she cares much about this *****ing about her, but I do because she was a big influence on me going from omni to vegan.

On ya matey. While it's true that I generally don't care about the *****y personal stuff that is being said about me lately in the middle of threads, if the threads sink to a level of intellectual bankruptcy like this one did where posters are just telling complete porkie-pies about me or what they reckon I've said, I'm going to set the record straight.

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page