Pearls - how do you feel about it? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Keeping them maybe ok, but wearing them as a vegan, not ok. And just because something is the majority opinion on VB doesn't mean it makes ANY ****ing sense in the rest of the vegan world whatsoever.

Wearing doesn't increase animal suffering

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganmama884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 824
I asking this honestly why is keeping them and wearing them different? Most people would never know the difference.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
veganmama884 is offline  
#33 Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegansarawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Keeping them maybe ok, but wearing them as a vegan, not ok. And just because something is the majority opinion on VB doesn't mean it makes ANY ****ing sense in the rest of the vegan world whatsoever.

So its ok for them to collect dust in my closet but not keep my feet warm?
Also synthetic boots (that are affordable) leak. A lot. I have gone through three pairs of vegan winter boots (one per year) the first pair grew mold, the second pair leaked and the third pair fell apart within a month. Until I can afford a good pair from an online store my options are lose toes to frostbite or wear the boots. Just to clarify I only wear them when I need to and I bought them years ago from a second hand store.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
vegansarawr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganmama884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

So its ok for them to collect dust in my closet but not keep my feet warm?
Also synthetic boots (that are affordable) leak. A lot.

I do agree that synthetic boots have huge downsides (and I own about 7 pairs cause Im a junkie). I like rubber rain boots but the suck in the warmth department. Many socks :/

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
veganmama884 is offline  
#35 Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

So its ok for them to collect dust in my closet but not keep my feet warm?
Also synthetic boots (that are affordable) leak. A lot.

Oh i knoooooooooooow When I lived in Alaska my pre-omni boots gave out and I got some $100 synthetic ones, i may as well have worn tennis shoes.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#36 Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganmama884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Oh i knoooooooooooow When I lived in Alaska my pre-omni boots gave out and I got some $100 synthetic ones, i may as well have worn tennis shoes.

I want to live in Alaska.
I have some expensive, well reviewed synthetics that are very leaky, and slippery too. Im not saying to wear leather, I just wish they would improve vegan boots!

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
veganmama884 is offline  
#37 Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AlixJ18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,196
That's exactly why i said that the boot thing is something serious, some people live in really cold climates and need winter boots that work or they could lose toes so i don't think when it's something you need that it should be judged.
AlixJ18 is offline  
#38 Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

I want to live in Alaska.
I have some expensive, well reviewed synthetics that are very leaky, and slippery too. Im not saying to wear leather, I just wish they would improve vegan boots!

I wish they would too =/ Although, Now I'm glad to live in Bham where all you need are some awesome rainboots

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#39 Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegansarawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 892
I found a sick online store but the vegan boots are like $200. Could you imagine ordering them and finding out the leak first snow storm? I'd cry.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
vegansarawr is offline  
#40 Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

I asking this honestly why is keeping them and wearing them different? Most people would never know the difference.

Have you ever looked at a respected vegan site on the internet outside of VB and learnt what a vegan is?

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#41 Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegansarawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 892
Yes and boots are a hot debate topic in the Toronto vegan community especially the college age group - cause we're all broke.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
vegansarawr is offline  
#42 Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I've never once said that my opinions are the ultimate authority, but my opinions are certainly in line with fundamental vegan ideology about NOT wearing animal products. Are you trying to suggest that they are not?

No, of course not. But you never give anyone any slack at all, and I definitely think that exceptions can be made - for someone who is brand new, or relying on parents for support, or a high school or college student with limited funds for example.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#43 Old 08-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishani View Post

have you ever looked at a respected vegan site on the internet outside of vb and learnt what a vegan is?

bahahahhahahahahha

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#44 Old 08-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Newbie
 
izjustagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 44
Certainly pearls have had their charm over the years but if you ask yourself....are pearls essential to my happiness...than I think you will find you can live without them.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
izjustagirl is offline  
#45 Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by izjustagirl View Post

Certainly pearls have had their charm over the years but if you ask yourself....are pearls essential to my happiness...than I think you will find you can live without them.

I don't think I could. Mine were handed down from my great-great-grandmother who lived through the holocaust, hid them from the insane Romanian pigs that tried to kill her, and hid them and retrieved them when her, her daughters, and husband were sent to a concentration camp. So Yes, not having them in my life would hurt my happiness greatly.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#46 Old 08-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegansarawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 892
I think the 100% vegan, don't wear or use anything non-vegan even if you had them before going vegan kind of comes across as vegan policing. It also scares people away from veganism because; one they'll think we're jerks and two it makes veganism appear much harder as well as more expensive. The cow and oysters have already been killed and don't really care what humans chose to do with the carcass.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
vegansarawr is offline  
#47 Old 08-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganmama884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I don't think I could. Mine were handed down from my great-great-grandmother who lived through the holocaust, hid them from the insane Romanian pigs that tried to kill her, and hid them and retrieved them when her, her daughters, and husband were sent to a concentration camp. So Yes, not having them in my life would hurt my happiness greatly.

Wow we have so much in common it scares me. My Grandmother survived the holocaust and they were handed down to me too, being the eldest. I wore them at my wedding.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
veganmama884 is offline  
#48 Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganmama884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I think the 100% vegan, don't wear or use anything non-vegan even if you had them before going vegan kind of comes across as vegan policing. It also scares people away from veganism because; one they'll think we're jerks and two it makes veganism appear much harder as well as more expensive. The cow and oysters have already been killed and don't really care what humans chose to do with the carcass.

Yep. It scares even the people who usually would agree with you. A vegan who can make another vegan cringe over an issue like family heirlooms is not doing veganism any favors. I love you guys but I am not coming back to this post because its too stressful and I know when enough is enough for me! <3

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
veganmama884 is offline  
#49 Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Wearing doesn't increase animal suffering

Eating meat when it's dead doesn't increase the animal's suffering either, that isn't an excuse to eat it. The same applies to wearing animal products too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

No, of course not. But you never give anyone any slack at all, and I definitely think that exceptions can be made - for someone who is brand new, or relying on parents for support, or a high school or college student with limited funds for example.

You obviously don't pay attention. I have and will give slack where it is properly deserved, but there's quite a number of VB vegans with excuses as long as their arm as to why they think vegans can wear or use animal products - to the point where the vegan forum on this board has little integrity left. None of the posters I've challenged about this issue are in high school or relying on their parents for support.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#50 Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Eating meat when it's dead doesn't increase the animal's suffering either, that isn't an excuse to eat it. The same applies to wearing animal products too.

Yes it does, if you buy the meat. You know, the whole supply/demand business.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#51 Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I think the 100% vegan, don't wear or use anything non-vegan even if you had them before going vegan kind of comes across as vegan policing. It also scares people away from veganism because; one they'll think we're jerks and two it makes veganism appear much harder as well as more expensive. The cow and oysters have already been killed and don't really care what humans chose to do with the carcass.

You need to understand the difference between talking to meat-eaters about becoming vegan, and a discussion of basic vegan principles with other vegans - it isn't the same argument or attitude. This is the vegan forum where posters who claim to be vegan should really know the BASICS of vegan principles - which is not to wear, use or eat animal products. It isn't a place where you can post about living in deliberate conflict with those principles and expect other vegans to back you up. Seriously if you or any other vegan is scared away from veganism because of what another vegan says to them, then they would be a pretty flakey vegan to start with.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#52 Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

You need to understand the difference between talking to meat-eaters about becoming vegan, and a discussion of basic vegan principles with other vegans - it isn't the same argument or attitude. This is the vegan forum where posters who claim to be vegan should really know the BASICS of vegan principles - which is not to wear, use or eat animal products. It isn't a place where you can post about living in deliberate conflict with those principles and expect other vegans to back you up. Seriously if you or any other vegan is scared away from veganism because of what another vegan says to them, then they would be a pretty flakey vegan to start with.

Since none of us can possibly be perfect vegans, the decisions that we each choose to make - whether it's wearing heirloom pearls or continuing to wear leather boots until we can afford a new pair of synthetics or taking medicine in a gelatin capsule because that's how it comes - are compromises that every single one of us has to make at some time or another. You said yourself that there are times that giving someone some slack is better than giving them a hard time.

I deliberately chose to wear my grandmother's pearls to my son's wedding two years ago. My shoes were fabric, my dress polyester, and my makeup cruelty-free. I wanted to wear something that reminded me of a wonderful woman who would have loved to have been at the wedding, but who was long gone. Oh well. I'm still comfortable calling myself vegan.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#53 Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,658
I'm not the type of person who has any treasured keepsakes or anything but I can understand that some vegans might want to save non-vegan items because they have been handed down through generations like River explained.
Pixie is offline  
#54 Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vegansarawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

BASICS of vegan principles - which is not to wear, use or eat animal products. It isn't a place where you can post about living in deliberate conflict with those principles and expect other vegans to back you up. Seriously if you or any other vegan is scared away from veganism because of what another vegan says to them, then they would be a pretty flakey vegan to start with.



I never said I was scared away by veganism because of how condescending some vegans can appear to be. Veganism is a lifestyle that ANYONE can do. Assuming to be vegan you have to give away cherished or useful items and be able to replace them is kind of arrogant.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
vegansarawr is offline  
#55 Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Teresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,222
I didn't realize coming to this board made me a non respectable vegan.
Teresa is offline  
#56 Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
smiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Woah, judgmental much? If they were bought before the switch, there is NO reason to throw away/donate something you like, its the buying of new things that's the problem...

I could not agree more. Plus, throwing away something you already have is wasteful, fills up landfills, and honestly means the animal dies in vain IMHO.
smiling is offline  
#57 Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Lovemyarchnug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 255
Although I do think pearls are really pretty I have never owned any real ones and don't intend to buy any. Since this also turned into a talk about boots too...I am a perfect example of why you just need to do what's right for yourself. I bought some BearPaws last year before I went vegan. I loved them, without a doubt...but after going vegan felt guilty and hypocritical wearing them (especially when I was wearing my cow hugger shirt! ) So...I went through the winter wearing them and then gave them to my mom. Now this issue is what the h*ll I'm going to wear this winter. I AM in college, I live in Minnesota, and I don't have extra money to spend especially on nice boots since I had dished out last year for them. So as much as I'm glad I don't have to feel hypocritical wearing them anymore it's going to suck when my feet are freezing this winter. Yes, there are options. No, I'm not complaining. I'm just explaining that it isn't always easy to just "get rid" of all your things with animal products or made of leather etc...
Lovemyarchnug is offline  
#58 Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vegansarawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling View Post

I could not agree more. Plus, throwing away something you already have is wasteful, fills up landfills, and honestly means the animal dies in vain IMHO.

I never throw things out - when I do replace the boots I will probably give them to a charity second hand store.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
vegansarawr is offline  
#59 Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I never throw things out - when I do replace the boots I will probably give them to charity second hand store.

I have a pair of nikes I bought before I went veg*n (to give you an idea, that was six years ago), and they are falling apart but they are my favorite shoes, and I refuse to let them go. While I'm relatively certain there is no leather in them (the tag wore away long ago), I am going to wear these shoes until the rubber wears off completely. They are that perfect wore in state where I can put them on and off with out retying them. Aaaaaah how a favorite pair of shoes can warm your heart.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#60 Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Aaaaaah how a favorite pair of shoes can warm your heart.

You couldn't possibly be vegan, everyone knows vegans can't have warm hearts!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off