Honey and beeswax - how do you feel about it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Beginner

I've been thinking about this and how frustrating it is when I want to buy something bit it has one or the other. I'm debating a purchase now in fact. I have generally avoided these but I haven't ever actually had a reason. My main purpose in being veg was to avoid animal cruelty and I've never read about bees that are cared for responsibly being treated cruelly or anything. I think once I read that they actually do better in captivity (don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure that's what I read). I only use one product that has honey in it (and that was Only because my face went crazy and murad acne kit is the only thing that works for me. The other products are vegan but the moisturiser has honey in it).

So I'm curious how others here feel about this?

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Banned

bee keeping is quite involved, its good to know how its done:

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

http://friendsofanimals.org/programs...ney-vegan.html

about colony collapse disorder:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/foo...ans-honey.html

http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=15572

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/about/in...s/honeybee.htm

it seems evident to me at least that human interaction is contributing to CCD.
#3 Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Beginner

hmm, thats interesting.

I've decided to keep avoiding beeswax. The purchase wasnt important, just very pretty and nice. lol However, my face is a different story, so I'll probably continue using the moisturizer with honey in it. Buying the products individually outside of the murad kit, without the moisturizer) would be more expensive than the entire kit all together. (over $70!)

thanks for sharing the links!

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

It is a personal choice.

I don't intentionally purchase honey or beeswax or honey products, just like I don't intentionally purchase milk and egg products.

But, here is a difference:
If I ACCIDENTALLY purchase a product with egg or milk in it, I'll give it away to a co-worker. If I accidentally purchase a product with honey or beeswax in it, then I'll go ahead and eat it, and just know better next time. <-- except for lip balm... The idea of bee products chillin' out on my lips just makes me feel gross.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#5 Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Beginner

lol yeah beeswax is only usually an issue with mascara and lip balm for me. i cant think of too many other things where its as much of a problem. and i have this obsession with lip balm...that was actually the purchase i was talking about. this company called Vintage Sister has so many great flavors of lip balm and people all over youtube rave about it, but they use beeswax so boo. I dont get why they dont just use artificial wax. Another brand I love called My Lip Stuff has vegan options but they literally have hundreds more flavors that use actual beeswax. I just have to wonder why, does artificial wax really affect the product that much? is it more expensive? i just dont get why these companies that have every other ingredient as something vegan just have to use beeswax. Any idea why?

My Lip Stuff provides options and they are very animal friendly, they donate to animal charities, and all that stuff, but i dont get why they dont have more vegan options. There are people, like me, who are obsessed with this stuff and willing to buy many of their 500 or 500+ flavors, but they only have like 20, maybe fewer, vegan flavors of lip balm. 20 to 500? really? is using beeswax THAT serious? :/

sorry, im a bit into lip balm. lol

#6 Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I try to avoid bee products. Like you, these things kept turning up in my makeup before I went vegan. I used to buy a ton of Burt's Bees items, mostly lip products. Lately, I've been looking at the vegan products sold on this site.

http://www.theallnaturalface.com/

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#7 Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

#8 Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Beginner

What ever happened to the honey superthread?
#9 Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't tend to buy products that contain bee derived products, but it's not the main focus of my veganism and it's not something I'd bring up while advocating for animals to people who aren't vegan yet. In fact if the conversation steered in that direction I'd take it back towards factory farmed animals.

Tam! RUGH!
#10 Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan, so I don't use them. But some people use animal products and call themselves vegan still. *shrug* They are fairly easy to avoid, are there prodcuts in particular you're looking at?
#11 Old 08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

lol yeah beeswax is only usually an issue with mascara and lip balm for me. i cant think of too many other things where its as much of a problem. and i have this obsession with lip balm...that was actually the purchase i was talking about. this company called Vintage Sister has so many great flavors of lip balm and people all over youtube rave about it, but they use beeswax so boo. I dont get why they dont just use artificial wax. Another brand I love called My Lip Stuff has vegan options but they literally have hundreds more flavors that use actual beeswax. I just have to wonder why, does artificial wax really affect the product that much? is it more expensive? i just dont get why these companies that have every other ingredient as something vegan just have to use beeswax. Any idea why?

My Lip Stuff provides options and they are very animal friendly, they donate to animal charities, and all that stuff, but i dont get why they dont have more vegan options. There are people, like me, who are obsessed with this stuff and willing to buy many of their 500 or 500+ flavors, but they only have like 20, maybe fewer, vegan flavors of lip balm. 20 to 500? really? is using beeswax THAT serious? :/

sorry, im a bit into lip balm. lol

Zuzu Luxe and Ecco Bella have nice vegan mascaras.

And Hurraw lip balm and also Crazy Rumors.
#12 Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't avoid insect products, but then again I don't call myself vegan. You can search for "Beegan" and find my thread on the topic, but it was kind of a train wreck.

The honey superthread was banished to the Compost Heap, I believe.
#13 Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I too have been kind of on the fence about the honey issue. Personally, I find it quite difficult to feel the same way about honey as I do about milk/eggs etc. (I guess this makes me sound like a heartless person...) I've settled for not buying honey, but I won't freak out if something I have eaten contains honey (stuff like cereals are almost impossible to find without honey here in Norway!) 

But generally, I avoid it. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page