Finally going vegan! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Hello fellow vegans! Tomorrow is my six month anniversary for becoming a vegetarian and to celebrate, I thought I'd go vegan! I've wanted to for a while, but now I really feel ready.

The problem though is that since I'm only 16 I still live with my mom who was against me going vegetarian, and I when I told her I wanted to go vegan, she flipped. She's worried I won't be healthy and blahblah.

Anywhoo's, I was just wondering, what are some of your favorite vegan products? And your favorite brands? I've tried a couple things but found some to be downright disgusting, so what do you guys prefer to eat?

Tomatoes & Potatoes <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Earth Balance, Daiya Cheese, Amy's All American Veggie Burgers, Clif Bars, Gardein beef tips and hot wings. Alot of great stuff if you look, and tofurkey sausages, silk products, love their soy nog, ALL of So delicious's icecream.

There are drawbacks of course. My church will not ressurect your dead hamster.
I am not Jesus Christ, but I can turn water into Koolaid.My church is like Jimmy Jones and totally cult and EVERYONE drinks the Koolaid and EVERYBODY dies, but for some people it doesn't kick in until they're 105 and...
#3 Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

YAY!!!! So happy for you!

Some of my favorite staples:

-Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
-Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
-Follow Your Heart Vegenaise
-Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
-ANY Gardein product (their veggie burgers are great, so is their chick'n)
-Ezekiel bread
-So Delicious ice creams
-Tofutti Cuties (little ice cream sandwiches)
-Daiya cheese shreds

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and Tofurky Kielbasa hot dogs are delicious

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#5 Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Best wishes going vegan. All tastes are different so I don't really have any suggestions.

Good luck with the mom thing. At least you will be 18 soon.
#6 Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

There are seven different kinds of mock milk - soy, almond, oat, hemp, coconut, cashew and rice. Play around and try which is best for you. I prefer almond but my mom prefers oat. If you're vegan on a budget oatmeal and dried beans are cheap (it will also keep the grocery list down). Tofu scramble is amazing esp with daiya cheese. I really like amy's ground "chicken" & Au'Natural fake nuggets are amazing, even my omni friends like them. Humus is also an amazing snack.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#7 Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyy View Post

Anywhoo's, I was just wondering, what are some of your favorite vegan products? And your favorite brands? I've tried a couple things but found some to be downright disgusting, so what do you guys prefer to eat?

Congrats on your transition to veganism!

my favorite vegan 'products' are beans, grains, nuts, vegetables and fruit.
i don't buy or eat fake foods on a regular basis and rely on whole foods as the main part of my diet.

as for your mom's worries, the best way to deal with that is to learn about nutrition and health. when you are able to tell her all about nutrients in vegan foods, how much healthier it is not to eat dairy and that eating a vegan diet is an excellent way to prevent degenerative diseases it will be hard for her to tell you its still not healthy.
#8 Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 AM
Banned

All the Field Roast mock meats are incredible. My guilty pleasure is the meatloaf.
#9 Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of parent's objections when it comes to going vegan is the added expense of vegan food. Mock meats are very expensive as are mock cheeses. However trying to stick to as natural as a diet as possible will help keep the grocery bill down. (fruit, veggies, beans, nuts ect)

#10 Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on going vegan! My father wasn't too pleased when I decided to go vegan, mostly due to our family's limited budget (as vegansarawr mentioned, the mock meats do add up fast!). A quick google search or a few minutes browsing vegweb.com will give you tons of recipe ideas to choose from. To help keep our bills down, I ended up making a lot of soups, chilis, and stews and saved the mock meats for parties or big family dinners. Pasta dishes and stir fry dishes were also very easy to do and affordable.

Best wishes!

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#11 Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned

Congrats on going vegan!

My product recommendations are:
-Yves hot dogs (I microwave them and they're really good, and it's a pretty common brand)
-Clif bars (all the Clif ones are vegan, and the white chocolate macadamia nut Clif Crunch ones are my favorite, and a great Nature Valley honey bar substitute)
-Progresso Lentil Soup (stuffed with lentils and some veggies, and it has a good amount of vegetable servings in it. Plus, it's easy and tasty!)
-Boca burgers (These are good if you're craving fast food things, they taste just like McDonald's burgers did to me)
-Boca chik'n patties (exactly like chicken sandwiches in texture, it's actually a little freaky how similar it is)
-Earth Balance (better than any margarine or butter in the universe. You'll want to coat everything you eat in Earth Balance)
-Silk Pure Almond Milk (best non-dairy milk I've ever tried so far, and way better than cow's milk)
#12 Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

All the Field Roast mock meats are incredible. My guilty pleasure is the meatloaf.

Yup. Heaven plus they are far less processed than tofurkey and stuff like that.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#13 Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

The Field Roast stuff looks so good, but are they really expensive? Particularly the celebration roast and deli slices, in comparison to Tofurky roast and deli slices?
#14 Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Alot of Good suggestions and I hope you can find a way to experiment. Everyone today are on a budget because of the recent days and people are penny pinching alot more then ever before to stretch things out. I keep on telling people that the animal products are more expensive then living a healthy Vegan lifestyle or Veg.
Anyhow, Congrats on your decision.
#15 Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Thank you all so much! I just finished writing all these down and I'll experiment with them a bunch. (:
And I'm not worried about the prices because I do mostly eat fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. so a couple mock items wouldn't hurt.

Tomatoes & Potatoes <3
#16 Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyy View Post

And I'm not worried about the prices because I do mostly eat fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. so a couple mock items wouldn't hurt.

That's exactly what I do, its like anything else you just have to balance it.

#17 Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 PM

So cool another vegan!!! Just make sure u read labels on certain food. And yea my mom did that to me when i told her i went vegan and i'm 14. Just give her some good facts and that might help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page