Need good sources of protein outside of nuts....Advice needed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Beginner

Hi! I've been Vegan for 2 months, and have struggled to get enough Protein daily. I'm eating healthy, a fairly balanced diet, but have been told my allergist to avoid nuts, and am not that big of fan of beans in general. I want to keep with the Vegan lifestyle, and not go back to being a Vegetarian, but I'm struggling to get the minimum amt of proteins daily, and any advice of high sources of it would be appreciated. As I really do want to stick with it. Either way will never go back to eating meat. I appreciate any help regards to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quinoa! Also spinach, kale, broccoli, brown rice, and tons of other stuff.

The good thing about protein is it's actually in many things you wouldn't even think about, it tends to be a lot easier to get protein on a vegan diet than you'd think. Even without nuts and beans.

Here's a nice overview: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Nuts are more a source of fat than protein, anyway.

Dark green leafy vegetables are the best source, IMO. Don't skimp on them. They are low in calories and high in nutrients and contain healthy fats/good 3:6 ratios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Banned

what are you using to calculate your daily intake and are you sure you need to get more?

if you eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods you don't have to worry about protein.

also i don't really understand when people say they don't like beans, there are so many different kinds, have you tried different kinds?
do you consider lentils as beans, they are so different in texture than a bigger bean like pintos or red beans. also there are ways to eat beans that don't seem like eating beans such as hummus, bean dips and spreads, falafel, and veggie burgers.
#5 Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I am having a hard time with protein. I find either Tofu or Tempeh get me where I need. my reading says Tempeh is better than Tofu.
#6 Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned

unless you're eating mostly fruit/sugars, it's a lot easier to get protein than you'd imagine. people have been conditioned to the idea that they need a lot more protein than their bodies require. see werewolf girl's link. let go of your preconceived notions and don't stress about it.
#7 Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Quinoa! Also spinach, kale, broccoli, brown rice, and tons of other stuff.

The good thing about protein is it's actually in many things you wouldn't even think about, it tends to be a lot easier to get protein on a vegan diet than you'd think. Even without nuts and beans.

Here's a nice overview: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

I took a look at that website and it's got lots of interesting articles. Thanks for providing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page