Factory Farm Field Trip: Would You Go? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

#1 Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Beginner

My program is visiting a factory farm in a few months to show the students where most of the meat in the grocer comes from.

If the purpose was educational, would you go? Or would you request to be excluded from this particular trip of the program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Ira
Banned

I wouldn't go. I already know it, i don't want to see it closer. but i am glad that some people will go
#3 Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Your program? Are you training to become a vet or something? Sounds like an unusual field trip.

I myself definitely wouldn't go, I'd just cry the whole time. And I've already seen enough video footage to last me a lifetime.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

I would go.

A slaughter house would be even more interesting to watch peoples reactions to though.

Watching the guts of something the size of a cow fall out is more than most people can stomach and the sight is far easier to stomach than is the accompanying stink.
#5 Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Your program? Are you training to become a vet or something? Sounds like an unusual field trip.

I myself definitely wouldn't go, I'd just cry the whole time. And I've already seen enough video footage to last me a lifetime.

It's a Masters program in Environmental Education.

I already know I will be disheartened the entire time, both from the pain of the animals and from the attitudes of the people around me. This one guy overheard a few of us talking about the trip and he kept saying how cool it sounded - he isn't going and isn't a part of the program, but it was still one of those shake-your-head kind of moments.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

I might go. I'm the kind of person that remembers and is most affected by experiences, not just videos. Seeing live farm animals makes me want to cry because I realize how cute they are, I think going to factory farms would be emotional, but it would definitely keep me from thinking about straying from veganism and keep me passionate and committed to it. I feel really awful about myself sometimes because sometimes I feel like I need to make myself feel compassion. I'll just feel disconnected from everything and I just feel really disgusting and cold-hearted, but if I actually experienced death I know I'd feel something. When I watch a video, it's like I have to imagine that this is really real and then I feel really awful, because it's a video and it's just so easy to just pretend it's not real. And I feel really bad admitting to all that, but it's just the way I feel sometimes, very desensitized, I guess.
#7 Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't go. You already know about it. You don't need to see it IRL.
Purp likes this.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#8 Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Ira
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

I would go.

A slaughter house would be even more interesting to watch peoples reactions to though.

Watching the guts of something the size of a cow fall out is more than most people can stomach and the sight is far easier to stomach than is the accompanying stink.

thats actually true. when i was 14 or so my class had a trip to salami factory. 90% of the class was vegetarian for a week or 2. this was actually the first time the thought of it came to me. of course it took many more years before it actually happened, but i wonder how it would affect more adult people, especially the ones who are interested in environment and studying it
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd go. I'd hate every minute of it, but I'd go.
Purp likes this.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#10 Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

How could one go and not try to make off with some of the animals to save them
Purp likes this.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#11 Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I would only go if it meant someone else going and experiencing the horror who might change their ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

How could one go and not try to make off with some of the animals to save them

If I saw an animal that was somehow free or where I could get to them, I would do this.
Purp likes this.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#12 Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

i would want to go, but i don't think i actually would. i hate watching someone step on a spider. i can't imagine my senses being assaulted by the happenings of a factory farm and being completely helpless. it's easy to feel like being vegan helps animals, but to have in your face proof that there are still millions of animals being slaughtered all the time so people can eat their flesh would totally depress me.
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Beginner

I should note that, as far as I know, we are planned to go to a dairy factory farm with around 40,000 cows in constant milking rotation.
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhugger View Post

I should note that, as far as I know, we are planned to go to a dairy factory farm with around 40,000 cows in constant milking rotation.

I'd be tempted to f*** something up so it throws the farm all off.
Purp likes this.

#15 Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Mount a rescue mission
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

Mount a rescue mission

This. And destroy the equipment.
Purp likes this.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#17 Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

This. And destroy the equipment.

Inconspicuously, though. I'd do something that would annoy them, make it harder for them, but not cause any real damage that I could get in trouble for. Stick a quarter in a gear here and there and pretend I didn't know what happened.

Too bad it's not that easy
Purp likes this.

#18 Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm already vegan, so I would not go. I think and worry enough as it is. I don't need more visual nightmares.
Purp likes this.
#19 Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

thats actually true. when i was 14 or so my class had a trip to salami factory.

That's different..we went to water parks.

OP: No I wouldn't go. I wouldn't be able to handle it.
Purp likes this.
#20 Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Encouraging criminal activity is probably the wrong thing to do here.

I doubt they are going to show you the worst parts of the facility. Is this a feed lot or a slaughter house? I wouldn't want to go to either, but that may influence your choice. It seems like a strange field trip for an environmental program. Feed lots and their environmental impact can be studied in the classroom and by independent review of published studies. You won't see anything but the surface impact by visiting one.

Good luck. Sorry you have to make this choice.
Purp likes this.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#21 Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM

There is no way I would go, I can't stand there and watch someone kill or abuse an animal like that. I think it's good that others are going, especially non-vegans.
Purp likes this.
#22 Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Heck yes, but only if I could bring a camera. I'd document the heck out of it, and the next time someone askes, well how do YOU know the animals are raised that way, I'd say, "Just look!"
Purp and Nooch like this.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#23 Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Part of me would be completely disgusted by the idea of seeing these animals suffer up close and in person, and that part of me probably wouldn't go. However, I feel like the experience would strengthen my resolve to make a positive difference that much more. It could also lead to an opportunity to share my views on veganism with others on the trip. Maybe, considering that everything would be right there for them to see, they'd be more willing to keep an open mind and consider it seriously.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#24 Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't go.
#25 Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

You won't see the worst parts of the dairy farm on the trip. You won't see calves removed from their mothers by force within days of birth, or witness them frantically calling for each other. You won't see veal crates, etc.

Similarly sometimes national primate vivisection centers have tours. People only see the sanitized version.
Purp likes this.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Mothers don't have be moaning the loss of their calves to appear unhappy. I'm sure even the spit-shined version of these places that they offer for public viewing are still pretty sad. The fact that I would be viewing confined animals that have no bright future would be enough to send me into a funk, even though the average omni probably wouldn't be affected by it in that way.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#27 Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't go. Just couldn't do it.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#28 Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I would go. It's just more ammunition next time someone challenges your beliefs to be able to say you've actually been to a real farm. Likely, the other person won't have.
Purp likes this.
#29 Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I am starting to think peace and dormouse are right.
Purp likes this.
#30 Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

It would be very difficult for me to go, but I would for the reason Dormouse mentioned... ammunition for later discussions. It will most likely be an edited-for-TV style of tour, but there should still be enough evidence of the truth behind the facade if you look for it.
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page