Bone China - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I just want to vent really. Don't you hate it when you fall in LOVE with something, buy it, and then realise it isn't vegan? It really annoys me.

Today I found a beautiful single-person-teapot-cup (if you know what I mean, you'll know what I mean!) with a pretty lilac print, from Laura Ashley, in the charity shop where I work, it looked brand new and with my volunteer discount it was only £2, it said "fine bone china" and I thought "well I know that's meant to be a good thing so yay".

After eating tea I made a cup of tea, and thought "I wonder why they call it bone china" and a quick google later I was gobsmacked... the actually put BONE in it? I mean I know everyone's probally reading this and going "duh, it's called bone china you numpty" but... I just didn't think they'd put bone in a teapot.

Anyway the point is I hate the disapointment of falling in love with something, buying it, and realising it isn't vegan. Even if I didn't take it back it'd be ruined really, I couldn't even drink out of it... yech! I guess I'll recycle it back to the charity shop, or give it to someone - although I can't think who. :s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know that either. I think my teapot is made of clay...at least I hope so.
#3 Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I know what you mean...I got these danty cups for a gift from my friend as I am a tea freak...only to discover after Id used them that they were bone china..I assumed it meant 'fine,brittle' etcetc...
I was horrified!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

At least you didn't buy it new. I probably would buy bone china secondhand without batting an eyelash, although it's not something I would (knowingly) buy new.

I bought my mom a nice tea steeping mug at a local shop for her birthday. I liked it so much that I wanted to buy myself one later, so I looked it up on Amazon...sure enough, bone china.
#5 Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

After eating tea I made a cup of tea, and thought "I wonder why they call it bone china" and a quick google later I was gobsmacked... the actually put BONE in it? I mean I know everyone's probally reading this and going "duh, it's called bone china you numpty" but... I just didn't think they'd put bone in a teapot.

I didn't realise that either until I read something about it on a vegan forum.
#6 Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

That sucks! I've done that on the odd occasion... first pair of shoes I bought after the leather boycott didn't look leathery so I didn't think to check. There was leather on the inside.

I'm starting to wonder if any of my stuff is bone china now. I bet it's not, because it was all really cheap... but still.

Also, I really want one of those teapot-cup things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Now I'm really curious about what a teapot-cup thing is. Is it a teapot or a cup?
#8 Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have assumed the bone was referring perhaps to the color of the china before it was painted and glazed or something. I wouldn't have thought it had real bones in it either. That's pretty gross.

If it helps any, when I was a vegetarian transitioning to veganism I was trying to eat all vegan at home. A lot of my favorite dishes I would eat over noodles and my favorite was egg noodles because I like the wide flat strips of pasta instead of like the small noodles or spaghetti styles. For some reason I always thought all pasta was vegan and then I did hear about some containing egg but I never put two and two together. So I kept buying my egg noodles for my vegan dishes. Thankfully I didn't even anyone else that was veg at the time so I never fed it to anyone else. But then one day at the grocery store I went to grab a bag and all of a sudden it hit me... EGG noodles. I felt so stupid because it was so incredibly obvious and it would've been even more obvious if I'd read the ingredient list. I learned from then on to never assume anything is vegan without thoroughly reading the ingredient lists.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Now I'm really curious about what a teapot-cup thing is. Is it a teapot or a cup?

It's a little teapot that sits inside a cup, for making an individual pot of tea. Like this:

At least, I assume that's what we're on about. That's what I'm on about, at any rate.

#10 Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Yes that's it, the top comes off and is a little teapot, and it sits on a cup for you to pour your tea into. I have another normal tea-pot but it's very under used as a) I don't have a proper cup and saucer so it doesn't feel right and b) it's a big big. (ETA: It was basically like this http://www.lauraashley.com/tableware.../invt/3500795/ but with a different patern, to be exact!) Perhaps I'll put this on a gift list for christmas!

I think bone china always says what it is on it, because the bone makes the harder and so can be thinner and more delicate (I think anyway, I've been googling!), so it's the kind of thing they boast about. Nothing else I own is bone china, thankfully.

Anyway I'm glad it's not just me that a) does these things and b) didn't expect bone china to contain bones. Sigh you live and you learn!
#11 Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

I would have assumed the bone was referring perhaps to the color of the china before it was painted and glazed or something. I wouldn't have thought it had real bones in it either. That's pretty gross. .

Same here. I've never heard of it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

It's a little teapot that sits inside a cup, for making an individual pot of tea. Like this:

At least, I assume that's what we're on about. That's what I'm on about, at any rate.

Oh wow. Those are so pretty! I want one! I didn't know such things existed.
#12 Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

There's a little tea shop in London that sells them in a more modern style, done in really bright colours. That's the kind I want. I like teapots anyway, but it's usually only me having tea.

#13 Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

That's terrible My teapot is cast-iron (Japanese), and most of my cups are ceramic. I've never heard of bone china, I'll have to be wary of it.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#14 Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Well crap. My very favorite family heirloom is my grandmother's bone china. It never even occurred to me that there was actual bone in it. Damn.
#15 Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

Well crap. My very favorite family heirloom is my grandmother's bone china. It never even occurred to me that there was actual bone in it. Damn.

Well, if it's a family heirloom and you're not going actually eat off it, I wouldn't see a problem in hanging on to it. I'm sure there are some who would disagree, but I think this one of those situations where it makes sense to do the "non-vegan" thing and keep it.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#16 Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Well, if it's a family heirloom and you're not going actually eat off it, I wouldn't see a problem in hanging on to it. I'm sure there are some who would disagree, but I think this one of those situations where it makes sense to do the "non-vegan" thing and keep it.

Even if you are gonna use it, if it's something with a sentimental value then I don't see the sense in getting rid of it. You're not gonna do any good by giving it away, when it was purchased decades ago.

#17 Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Same here. I've never heard of it before.

Not sure what part of the US you are in but I see these kind of combos in TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross and I think World Market from time to time. Not sure what they are made of but being in those stores I highly doubt bone china as they were pretty inexpensive.
#18 Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

wow I never knew that! Interesting...... bet I have some lurking in my hutch, so many wedding gifts so little time (yea its my 5 year anniversary in less than a month). That is a very awesome little teapot btw.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#19 Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

There's a little tea shop in London that sells them in a more modern style, done in really bright colours. That's the kind I want. I like teapots anyway, but it's usually only me having tea.

Those sound beautiful as well. I love colorful things and the idea of the teapot/cup combo is pure genius!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Not sure what part of the US you are in but I see these kind of combos in TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross and I think World Market from time to time. Not sure what they are made of but being in those stores I highly doubt bone china as they were pretty inexpensive.

Oh cool thanks. I have a Marshall's nearby I will keep an eye out for them and also check the thrift stores.
#20 Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Yeah, I probably wouldn't give it away, too many memories. But I don't know if I'll ever be able to use it for holiday dinners again... or look at it in quite the same way.
#21 Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

Me too. They're over a hundred years old, though, and I never use them, so I'm keeping them. Plus, they remind me of my beautiful grandmother who died a few years back. How could I part with those memories?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page