First time at Trader Joe's, I was like a kid at a candy store :). - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 PM

After hearing numerous recommendations I finally drove across the border and went to the nearest Trader Joe's (Bellingham, Washington). It look over an hour to get there but it was worth it.

I was excited and overwhelmed by the choices.

I could only bring $50 worth of groceries across the border so decided to try a bit of everything.

Here's the stuff I got to try:

Tofurkey Italian Sausages: My favorite, will get a lot of these on my next trip.

Soy Chorizo: Haven't tried it yet.

California Veggie Burger: Decent tasting.

Masala Veggie Burger: Delicious.

Tofu Pad Thai: Very Good.

Veggie Pad Thai: Delicious, better and cheaper than Tofu Pad Thai.

Beefless Strips: Inedible, really tasted bad.

Chickenless Strips: Better than Beefless Strips but still pretty bad.

Morning Star Vegan Grillers: One of the worst things I have ever eaten.

Trader Joe's Original Soy Milk: Very good. Better than Silk and as good as a Canadian brand 'Natura' that I love.

Could you guys recommend more items and let me know if there is more stuff like the Strips and the Grillers that I should stay away from?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Give peas a chance

The Beefless Strips and Chickenless Strips are pretty bad by themselves. I use them to make fajitas or stir fry and use a little soy sauce and bunch of onions, peppers, etc... it completely changes the taste. Then the faux meat isn't the focus of the dish, but one taste/texture among a few. Much better I think. The Vegan Grillers are another thing that doesn't taste good by itself. I put them on hamburger buns with Vegenaise, tomato, lettuce, pickles, onion and love it. A Griller patty on a bun, no way. But mixed in with a bunch of other things, absolutely.

Check out the soaps and shampoo, etc.

I like the vegan sandwich wraps. Hummus, Lentil, Eggplant.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#3 Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

This frozen quinoa is pretty good.

Attachment 15968

I also like this package of grain blends.

Attachment 15970

These muffins are yummy! I esp. like the raspberry/blueberry ones. I buy a bunch and freeze them. They do go bad pretty quick if you leave on the counter so when I unfreeze a package it stays in the fridge to last longer.

Attachment 15971

I like the eggplant and edamame hummus they carry. Not a fan of faux meats (but do like those masala burgers). Can't help much there.

My final TJ's favorite are their tater tots. Vegan and the only ones I have ever had that don't upset my stomach.

I am going to miss TJ's... They don't have them in Florida...
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the tips guys . These will help me on my next trip.

I was thinking about the Meatless Strips, they are targeted at people trying to fill the meat 'void', but is making them look like actual meat really necessary?

Not sure if promoting faux meat is helping or hurting our cause.

Personally speaking, I only got those to try them out and not because I crave actual meat.
#5 Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

If it were near Christmas, I would say you should buy $50 worth of Peppermint Joe-Joe's alone. They are seriously delicious.

I can't for the life of me think of the names for some things. There are a few frozen things, I think one is this Thai green papaya salad (and internet search just confirmed this). It's yummy, not very filling, but you can mix in a lot of stuff to make it more so.
A lot of their juices are really yummy, too. And I second the soaps and shampoo type things, they smell great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Attachment 15970

These muffins are yummy! I esp. like the raspberry/blueberry ones. I buy a bunch and freeze them. They do go bad pretty quick if you leave on the counter so when I unfreeze a package it stays in the fridge to last longer.

I've never seen those before! New mission next time I go.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#6 Old 07-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Beginner

lol, I live in Bellingham part-time. :P

My favorite frozen meal there is the Vegetable Panang Curry.

Their coconut milk ice cream (they call it "frozen dessert," IIRC) is amazing, especially the chocolate flavor, and it's only $2.99... They recently started carrying this again after not having it a while.
#7 Old 07-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I've recently discovered their Unsweetened Organic Soy Milk. I'm trying to switch all my soy to organic/non-gmo, and this helps. It's also got no weird ingredients like carageenan and stuff. just water and soybeans. I like that!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#8 Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

The Morning Star Vegan Grillers, if it's what I'm thinking of, were absolutely horrible. And I'm not picky.

They have Goddess salad dressing.

I like their pizza sauce in a jar.

The Truly handmade four tortillas are really good.

They have two vegan cookies in bags. Chocolate chips and a trail mix or ranger type cookie. My stomach doesn't like nuts unless they are pureed, so I can't get these any more.

Almond milk.

Sorry you have to go so far for a Trader Joe's. I like the store but find it frustrating too at times. It's very vegetarian friendly but less so vegan friendly.
#9 Old 07-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

If it were near Christmas, I would say you should buy $50 worth of Peppermint Joe-Joe's alone. They are seriously delicious.

I can't for the life of me think of the names for some things. There are a few frozen things, I think one is this Thai green papaya salad (and internet search just confirmed this). It's yummy, not very filling, but you can mix in a lot of stuff to make it more so.
A lot of their juices are really yummy, too. And I second the soaps and shampoo type things, they smell great.

I've never seen those before! New mission next time I go.

They also have apple/cranberry and blueberry bran muffins (all 4 are vegan). They are good too but I LOVE the raspberry/blueberry oat ones the most (if you keep in fridge micro for about 30 seconds so it is warm, yummers). The store I go to (Mesa, AZ) these muffins are on a bottom pull out shelf in the same area as the bread.

Their vegan chocolate chip cookies are pretty good, don't buy those often because I will eat the whole bag in two days... And I don't need to be eating a whole bag of cookies in two days...

My last visit I bought some juice that was kind of interesting. It was a vegetable one but something like beet and purple carrot?

I almost forgot about the shampoo and conditioner section. I use the moisturizing ones. And the Midsummer's Night cream, it's pretty good for my dry desert skin.

Just rummaged through my cabinets and found a few more TJ's staples I keep on hand.

Have fun on your next visit!

Attachment 15972
LL
#10 Old 07-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I have yet to go in one myself because the closest is 730 miles from me.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#11 Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

The Mango Sorbet is about one of my favorite things of all time.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#12 Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm l/o myself but I can understand how frustrating TJ's can be for vegans. They recently discontinued two of my favorite items which just happened to be vegan: Fruit drops hard candy and a soba noodle bowl in the frozen section. Prior to that they discontinued another favorite item which just happened to be vegan: Their eggless egg salad, which was basically a tofu bread and cracker spread made to look like egg salad, but it was all vegan, and I liked it better than any similar spreads I found at Whole Foods and at the co-op. I guess now I'm stuck with those other spreads.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

They also discontinued their Mango Sticky Rice . If I'm remembering correctly, the MF Grillers vegan taste like Original Boca Burgers. I love their Falafel balls (freezer), maple syrup, tea tree soap, and monopolowa vodka (potato vodka). Oh! And Penne Arrabiata, in the freezer section too.
#14 Old 07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

They also discontinued their Mango Sticky Rice . If I'm remembering correctly, the MF Grillers vegan taste like Original Boca Burgers. I love their Falafel balls (freezer), maple syrup, tea tree soap, and monopolowa vodka (potato vodka). Oh! And Penne Arrabiata, in the freezer section too.

The regular (non-vegan) MF Grillers are good. The MF Vegan Grillers are disgusting.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#15 Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

The regular (non-vegan) MF Grillers are good. The MF Vegan Grillers are disgusting.

Original Grillers are my all time fav burger, I have at least 12 in my freezer now. Wish they were vegan.
#16 Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad I am not alone in hating the MSF Grillers. Those things are gross. I love Boca burgers and the other brands out there that I have tried but the grillers are nasty. They have a funky taste to them.
#17 Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Check out the soaps and shampoo, etc.

I like the vegan sandwich wraps. Hummus, Lentil, Eggplant.

I don't even like hummus and I liked that sandwich.

All we are is dust in the wind
#18 Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

I love Trader Joe's, but the closest one to me is 45 minutes away. I haven't been since going vegan yet, but even as an omni my whole family loves shopping there.
#19 Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

deleted

#20 Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Their Soy Chorizo is amazing! I'll spread fat free refried beans on taco shells, top with heating chorizo, salsa and lettuce. Make chili with it, taco salad. Really good flavor and texture.
They have the best soy ice cream I've had. Everything crackers. Fat free vegan mayo at $2.99 a 32 oz. jar (real good when mixed with things). Fresh vegan pizza dough in bags. Great prices on cans of artichoke hearts, olives, pizza sauce, frozen organic fruits and veggies.
Awesome carmelized onion, dairy free pizza, which stupidly has honey.
I buy the big bar soap with ginger and almond.
Cereal bars called This (apple, strawberry, blueberry and strawberry) walks into a bar..
Good prices on organic produce.
Vegetable burritos- vegan
Vegan dark chocolate.
Their brand of dog and cat food seems great, but only in 3 lb. bags for cats so I never tried-I have a lot of cats.
My TJs used to be good at labeling vegan things but seems like they got away from it.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#21 Old 07-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I have yet to go in one myself because the closest is 730 miles from me.

Road trip!!

Trader Joe's recently ditched their soy nuggets and replaced them with meatless nuggets or something- very frustrating, because I'm vegan and it went from being vegan to just being vegetarian. What the frak, TJ's?

Anybody else love the Balela salad? Om nom nom nom nom.
#22 Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I never tried the beefless strips alone, because i got them to make vegan asada, if you used to eat meat and you liked carne asada, you would love it it's all about the marinade, i put the recipe in the recipes section a while ago if you ever wanted to try it, i wanted to have it all the time.
#23 Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I second the Tea Tree soap. It comes in a double package. It's what I use for both hand and shower soap.

I was pretty upset about the soy nuggets being discontinued. I'm sure those are the Health Is Wealth brand but they were so much cheaper at TJ's.

I keep hearing about these frozen falafel, but forget to look for them.

Rabbitluvr, wait about 2 weeks (if you can stand it) until it's "safe" to hit your new TJ's. That's what I did. Heard it was pretty insane before that.
#24 Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

frozen tom yam soup - if you don't see it, ask someone to show you where it is

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#25 Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I second the Tea Tree soap. It comes in a double package. It's what I use for both hand and shower soap.

I keep hearing about these frozen falafel, but forget to look for them.

I use it as my face wash, love it

The falafel balls are so yummy! Easy to heat up too.
#26 Old 07-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Do the falafel balls have cilantro? I always forget to look for them.

What is Balela salad like? Is it produce?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#27 Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

frozen tom yam soup - if you don't see it, ask someone to show you where it is

Yes! Best soup ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

It's a mint, lemony chickpea salad. I really like it.
#28 Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen "Balela salad" at the TJs in my area. I'll have to ask about it.

*this space not for sale*
#29 Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I just picked up the Citrus Body Wash, and i think I like it. No chemical crap, and cheap!

Of course I always buy my coffee there too, can't beat the prices anywhere!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#30 Old 07-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Do the falafel balls have cilantro? I always forget to look for them.

Not sure about the cilantro,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page